Solar 4XS tires?

Has anyone heard of or have any experience with this tire? I found very little info online. I think it might be a cheap Sumitomo tire, possibly sold at Tire Kingdom/NTB. It's on a 2013 Honda Civic LX Sedan. Thanks for any info.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Probably made in a factory that the employees gotta ride a bicycle to work. Not that anyone cares.
And a nice dirt floor.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Probably made in a factory that the employees gotta ride a bicycle to work. Not that anyone cares.
And a nice dirt floor.

FWIW, I've owned some Kumhos that were made in Vietnam and they stayed quiet and balanced until they had no tread left.

And a nice dirt floor.

hahahaha, I gotta agree with both comments. Sounds like a no name Chinatire. I would probably steer clear unless you are really stretched on a budget.

Don't put Chinese tires on your car. Your life will be in danger! At least according to the "experts" here on BITOG.

The standard line is-"buy so and so name brand tire - they are ONLY $20.00 more a tire". The "experts" fail to realize to someone on a budget $80.00/more is a lot of money.....

Last edited:
Get real tires.

The Kumho Sense and Falken ZE950 can't be too much more at less than $70 each, and they're actually decent. MUCH better than the Solars could ever hope to be.

Walmart has the Dunlop Signature II for only $73/tire, and it is a quality US-made tire. They also have a Japanese-made SP Sport 5000 for $59, but it's an OE semi-performance tire, OK but not great; the Signature II is a better tire. Still, you're better off with even the $59 SP than some no-name Chinese Solar thing.

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of Solar tires before. These are on a 2013 Civic I bought yesterday. They are ok tires, nothing special but they are loud at highway speeds. I am researching tires now and will get better tires soon as I figure out which tire will be best.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Get real tires.

The Kumho Sense and Falken ZE950 can't be too much more at less than $70 each, and they're actually decent. MUCH better than the Solars could ever hope to be.

Walmart has the Dunlop Signature II for only $73/tire, and it is a quality US-made tire. They also have a Japanese-made SP Sport 5000 for $59, but it's an OE semi-performance tire, OK but not great; the Signature II is a better tire. Still, you're better off with even the $59 SP than some no-name Chinese Solar thing.

tirebuyer.com has general Altimax RT43s for 65 a piece with free delivery to one of their installers.

I decided on Cooper CS5 Touring. They have a lot of good reviews saying they are very quiet and smooth running tires with great traction. I did a lot of research on the CS5, not just here but other sites too. I scheduled with a local tire store for this Saturday, $403.00 OTD. Those Solar tires are ok but I want a better tire. The CS5 is made here in the USA too.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Don't put Chinese tires on your car. Your life will be in danger! At least according to the "experts" here on BITOG.

The standard line is-"buy so and so name brand tire - they are ONLY $20.00 more a tire". The "experts" fail to realize to someone on a budget $80.00/more is a lot of money.....
What's your life worth? Stay out of the "Sports Bar" for a week.

Last edited:

I have $80. I could afford the most expensive Michelin tires out there, and I can afford to replace them when they dry crack in 2 years.

But, I just don't see the point in spending ridiculous amounts of money on a Michelin that is made in China next to the set of Coopers or GT Radial I bought. As long as the Chinese tires are of the same quality - which, honestly, they seem to be ... I won't have a problem

What's your life worth? Stay out of the "Sports Bar" for a week.

You really fail to realize some people don't have any extra money at the end of month. Your cavalier attitude is really showing it.

If you look closely, indeed you see that it's made by Sumitomo (Thailand). How does it drive? I was actually upset that my used Volt came with this off-brand thing, but actually it's not too bad. Segmented construction and V-rated meant that it wasn't shoddy construction, and it sheds deep water really well. I'm keeping it.

I bought 4 Solar 4SX tires in 2016 for my 2005 Jetta. I have no complaints. They shed water pretty well on wet roads and I don't notice any difference between them and the more expensive Goodyear tires I had on the car last. I looked online a few times to try and figure out who made them. I bought them pretty cheap from a Walmart and I was always concerned that they might have been from one of the low-end Chinese factories. After looking on line some more and reading the side walls on the tires, I figured out that mine were made in a factory with the code "7T". That factory is in Indonesian owned by "P.T. SUMI RUBBER INDONESIA". They are owned by the Sumitomo Corporation. Sumitomo is a standard Japanese tire manufacturer who makes low end off-brand tires (e.g. Solar) up to some high-end stuff.

So, I now feel pretty good about my cheap tires. I think (wrong or right) that when you get the off-brand tires from the major manufacturers (Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc.) you get the best deal, as long as you aren't looking for the highest performance tires.

Anyway, mystery solved for my tires. But, keep in mind that I don't know the whole story behind the Solar tires. They might have other manufacturers provide them products. I just know that my tires are off-brand Sumitomo tires.

I purchased Solar for winter tires on my 2002 Saab 95 Aero with a five speed manual transmission.
They are model 4XS size 215-55/16.
Price is right at $50 each (free shipping to my home on Cape Cod)and I am satisfied with their handling and wear characteristics.

Back