Soft sidewall tires in 2020

Actually on my GXE the sticker says 92S, it's probably one of the speed limited ones. OE tire pressure is indeed 29 psi, I stay within 2-3 psi above or bellow depending on circumstances. The Falkens were a bit softer when new, but still had a stiffer sidewall.
The General Altimax RT43 seems to be a low weight tire - fits the soft sidewall reports.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the speed-limited base models.

If you decide on the RT43, remember that there are 2 versions of it: a T-rated and an H-rated. The T will be softer

One more thing I forgot to mention. How is your radiator support? They are known for rusting, and if it breaks, it will feel like the transmission is jerking.

Thanks for the tip about RT43.
The radiator support is fine, the very little rust that the car has is superficial.

RT43 ( H ) for FIT , thicker sidewall than the T as stated above . Rides better and handles very well . Kept at 34 or 35 P.S.I.. See this post for difference of T and H ( scroll down ) , https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/why-isnt-the-general-altimax-rt43-3pmsf-rated.331350/ . May want to a look at the new UNIROYAL Tiger Paw Touring A/S . Go here for pictures , https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/new-uniroyal-tiger-paw-touring-a-s.324323/ . Many good reviews at TIREBUYER , https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/uniroyal/tiger-paw-touring-a-s/p/style/767450# . Make sure that A/S is in the title , then more likely to be new generation . Big difference in tread pattern and siping with TIGER PAW Touring A/S , go here to see pics of difference ( scroll down ) , https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/new-uniroyal-tiger-paw-touring-a-s.324323/page-2 .

Last edited:
Did you ever decide on a tire? Best tire I ran on my Maxima was the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02. It's a high performance type tire, but I never noticed it (rode like a touring tire), handled and wore well. I got about 60k out of them. The performance per dollar ratio is quite good, they're consistently one of the more affordable tires, especially for the type (high performance, V speed rating), but I feel they outperform their price by a long shot.

I replaced them with Yokohama Avid Ascends recently and wish I would have sprung for another set of the HTRs.

If you feel like being a guinea pig, Sumitomo just released a new version of the tire, the HTR A/S PO3. Not even on their website yet, but available at Tirerack and others, albeit with few or no reviews.

Did you ever decide on a tire? Best tire I ran on my Maxima was the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02. It's a high performance type tire, but I never noticed it (rode like a touring tire), handled and wore well. I got about 60k out of them. The performance per dollar ratio is quite good, they're consistently one of the more affordable tires, especially for the type (high performance, V speed rating), but I feel they outperform their price by a long shot.

I replaced them with Yokohama Avid Ascends recently and wish I would have sprung for another set of the HTRs.

If you feel like being a guinea pig, Sumitomo just released a new version of the tire, the HTR A/S PO3. Not even on their website yet, but available at Tirerack and others, albeit with few or no reviews.
I was considering the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02, but I had read opinions on this website that the Sumitomo harden and lose wet grip after about 15K; the Falken (I think a Sumitomo brand) I have certainly behaved in this manner. I was also looking at the Avid Ascend GT, but they seemed stiff sidewalled from what I've read. What don't you like about them?
They're not on the car yet, but I ordered Cooper Ultras in 205/65-R15 H, stumbled upon a decent price - which swayed me.

The Cooper CS5 Ultra is another BITOG favorite :)

I used the Falken Ziex ZE950 on the one I had. Basically the same as the P02 but with slightly different siping; the ones I had had a W speed rating.

The tires were worn when I got rid of the car. Had I kept it, I would've tried the Kumho Solus HA31 3-peak all-season tire. Walmart has them at a good price.

I have the CS5 Ultras in P235/55/19 on my Chrysler Pacifica. Comfortable ride and great handling, good all around tire. My only gripe is the first set I had dry rotted badly before I could use them up; they still had about 30% tread left (before hitting the wear bars.) Tires were made in 2015, I replaced them last year with another set of CS5 Ultras. So only getting four years out of them was a bit disappointing. Fortunately the car is garaged mostly now, so hoping I can get all the life out of them this time around.

I had the HTR A/S PO2 on my toyota and they have been great they grip in the rain nicely, also quiet cheap https://wheelstiresbrakes.com/sumitomo-htr-as-p02-review/

I had the CS5 Ultras installed almost 2 weeks ago. They flat spot (94H). Took them on a roadtrip to Oregon, even though I have a slight shimmy above 75mph, coming and going after turns (perfect storm on getting the tires non-uniformity in sync I imagine). Never lost grip in the wet. They suck in the sand though :) (I got stuck in the sand at night). On Oregon roads they worked great, soft enough sidewalls. Got back to the pothole capital and they're not soft enough for the "roads" here.

One consideration I’d make is sidewall strength, not just compliance. I have a respect for the soft sidewall comfort for instance of Continental products, but they have a bit of a reputation for sidewall damage (blowouts) which may family has experienced twice. in a pothole area, compliance is just as important as strength.

based on limited experience, I’m leaning a little towards cooper and BFG here, as both have given us good cabin comfort without any unexpected failures in the past. ive probably bought Bridgestone more than anything else, but they have generally been tighter tires for us that lasted eons, at the sacrifice of wet traction as the miles stack up. I usually end up replacing them before the wear bars. That said, I think they have a quiettrack (?) model which might suit you well. I’ve had bridgestones with 6 patches in them hold up endlessly - in my experience they can be durable.

I was also looking at the Avid Ascend GT, but they seemed stiff sidewalled from what I've read. What don't you like about them?
They're not on the car yet, but I ordered Cooper Ultras in 205/65-R15 H, stumbled upon a decent price - which swayed me.

I have Avid Ascend GT in 195/65/15 and they're some of the best handling tires in dry/rain I've had. The sidewalls off of the car don't feel particularly hard but they have great steering response.

The tradeoff is that I find them to be pretty darn harsh on rough roads. If you didn't like the coopers you definitely wouldn't like the Yokohama's. They're quite a bit harsher than the Altimax RT43's I had before.

Back