“Soft” gear oil bottles

Wow, what a game changer. Just did front gear oil on both F150s and these new Valvoline soft oil bottles are amazing. At least on the 2011. Snip the tip and squeeze it in (uhh…), front dif was filled in about 2 minutes! Now the 2018 was a different story, that engine oil pan is really tucked up against the pumpkin! Had a hard time even getting to the fill plug and ended up using my suction gun to inject the new oil. Not nearly as easy as the other truck but I figure both should be a breeze on the rest end!

I filled the GS350 rear with a garden sprayer. But I hafta say the squeeze pouch would be even easier. The GS calls for 75w85 so Red Line was used. It comes in plastic bottles; there is no way to simply pour in the gear oil.

I slip a piece of clear tubing over the spout and usually don’t have any issues. These greener packages should be less expensive than the traditional bottles but 🤷‍♂️

Just my $0.02

I have been running Amsoil severe gear in my 2011 for the past 45k miles since my posi installed a bit on the tight side (0.006” backlash). No noises or issues other than tight clutch packs- I wonder if there is any benefit running the SVG over the more affordable Synpower….

I bought a couple of those Valvoline full syn flex bottles (tubes?) and a gallon of Valvoline full syn gear oil, when I finish filling the diff up I just refill the flex bottle from the gallon and use it again!
The other thing you can do is just get an outboard lower unit pump they screw right on the 1 qt bottles and do a good if slow job.
This pic is changing the oil on my OMC Cobra outdrive with that pump. Yes they are filled from that hole not the bottom like a Mercruiser. I have 5 of them, one for vehicle gear oil, one for ATF+4 (transfer case on the 98 Jeep), one for the special transfer case fluid for the auto 4x4 transfer case on the 07 Jeep, this one for the boat, yet one more for the Suzuki outboard (different gear oil).

Attachments

• Cobra oil change.jpg
    Cobra oil change.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 19
Wow, what a game changer. Just did front gear oil on both F150s and these new Valvoline soft oil bottles are amazing. At least on the 2011. Snip the tip and squeeze it in (uhh…), front dif was filled in about 2 minutes! Now the 2018 was a different story, that engine oil pan is really tucked up against the pumpkin! Had a hard time even getting to the fill plug and ended up using my suction gun to inject the new oil. Not nearly as easy as the other truck but I figure both should be a breeze on the rest end!
Are these the same squeeze bags Amsoil has been using for 6-7 years or something different?

HPL doesn’t do these squeeze bags, so I just got a 5-gal bucket pump, one for ATF and one for gear oil. I came across a good deal on a 100’ roll of poly tube, so I’ll just cut a new length each time I need to service those and discard the tube when done filling. I send my son under the truck to stick the hose in and then I pump the oil in. Keeps mess and fuss to a minimum 👍🏻

Back