Soft brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
02 Camry. I have had it for 2 years, put 12k on it a year, really soft on it. Since I got the car, the brakes seems pretty spongy/soft, not to the floor but would like to be a bit tighter.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

It's possible that there is air somewhere in the system due to someone in the past not using proper bleeding proceedures. Many of the newer cars have a softer feeling pedal than on the earlier cars. If the pedal is low and spongy, there is a problem that should be checked such as a failing master cylinder.

Has it always been like that? Could be that since the camry is likely made for the easiest, most comfortable drive, and that is to have very overboosted brakes.

Get a thorough bleed - caN BE TRICKY ON abs. My new honda has spongy brakes. If you hit the pedal hard twice - it goes to the floor. Not good. iMPOSSIBLE TO PROPERLY MODULATE.

Being an 02 i assume its had a brake job two over the last 10 years.
Try bleeding first but if that doesn't help change the rubber brake hoses at the wheels, when these age they can give a very soft feel at the pedal.

Is it 4-wheel disks or drums in the rear? If drums, they might need to be adjusted. The so called self-adjusting mechanism does not work all the time. While reversing, if you slam on the brakes, do you feel rear are grabbing good? If not, then that would be your problem.

All good advice...there is one other Toyota oddity...the rear drums are often adjusted through the use of the parking brake.

Drivers who don't use the parking brake often have spongy brakes due to rear drums out of adjustment.

So, check the rear drums (I am assuming that's what you've got) first...and if your adjustment is off, then get them tweaked and start using the parking brake every time you park.

Some good observations here. I didn't cure the "soft" pedal problem on on a high miles rear drum gen 4 Camry in the "fleet" until I replaced the front rotors and calipers with bigger parts from an Avalon. It is a bolt on and reman Centrex parts for the Avalon are just a few bucks more than reman OE. If yours is a V6, you already have that setup though. Flushing the fluid would help as would good quality brake pads. Sometimes the longest lasting pads don't bite very well. I'm using EBC pads. Many have observed that the stock Camry I4 front brakes from that vintage are a bit small.

Last edited:
Some vehicles just have squishy brakes. My Sonata has a really soft pedal. I've read the complaint in car reviews when these Sonatas first came out.

I've had mine bled at the dealer and checked everything out, but it hasn't improved. The car stops fine, but the pedal's soft.

Last edited:
Rear drums usually have too much clearance. The adjusters are on the 'safe' side, and don't get the shoes real close.
But bleeding is also high on the list.
A leaking master cyl [internally] is another.
Then comes spongy brake lines, or a flexing firewall..

My mother had a similar car (2002 Solara) and the brakes felt softer after the OEM pads were replaced with "NAPA Ceramix" pads that were supposed to be an exact match for OEM. That car had no ABS, and that might make the pedal feel different from yours.

I bled the brakes often enough, using Valvoline DOT3/4 fluid.

Also +1 on remembering to adjust the drum brakes manually from time to time. Even cars with the best drum brakes need an occasional adjustment for optimum performance.

EDIT: Also, peel back the wheel cylinder boots and check for fluid within the boot. That means the wheel cylinder is not applying properly, and leads to a soft pedal.

EDIT: Apply the brakes at a complete stop and feel if the pedal leaks. If it does, the master cylinder must be replaced.

Last edited:
Mechtech's list:
--renew and flush the fluid
--Check the rear adjusters for smooth operation, adjust the rear brakes, and use the parking brake often to keep the rears adjusted.
--Inspect everything. Check brake shoe thickness. Check for wheel cylinder leakage. Hold your hand on the brake hoses while someone presses hard on the brake pedal. If they swell, replace them. Inspect the fronts as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back