Social Obligations -- The Funeral Home Visitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
my youngest son killed him self 2014. age 26. my ex is still having issues. she needed to talk about it last night. so i was there for her. i think mothers have a harder time with that than dads.

It's for the living. Part of the grieving process. If you really think about it, it's rather selfish. For those that hadn't seen the person living and cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

But, I think of it as honoring the person's life and the impact they had on others.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
I heard someone say: He looks so natural. What?? I thought, but did NOT say: "He looks dead to me".

It doesn't get any more natural than that.

My wife's wishes were to be cremated, so we had an urn with flowers surrounding it and a picture of her next to it for the visitation and funeral. That was just an urn they had on hand for display purposes, and her ashes weren't in it. We (immediate family and a couple very close friends) had a private viewing before she was cremated. The funeral home did an amazing job making her look presentable considering the horrible way she died (car accident) but I still don't think we would have had an open casket if she hadn't been cremated.

Is it about the wishes of the deceased, or do we make it about "us" ? Buck up and pay your respects as they were planned, instead of me, me ,me ! My great grandmother was waked for 3 days , AT HOME ! I was 4, not there the whole time, but I paid my respects in whatever way a 4 year old does.

As far as an OP's statement that being in the funeral trade is a license to steal, to the contrary, funeral and cemetery operations have enormous overhead...even a small funeral operation will take $1 million + to start up, and they operate at an 8-9% margin, so that $10000 funeral only nets the funeral home maybe $800-900. Worse yet, a $2500 cremation will net them maybe $250. You figure an average funeral home does 50 calls a year (one a week), they aren't getting rich, let me assure you. Cemeteries have to put funds into trust for future care and maintenance, in perpetuity.

As far as crazy stories, every time I think I've seen it all, I haven't. Aggrieved wife throwing her shoe at one of the girlfriends, while the OTHER girlfriend tries to stay out of the fray. Motorcycle clubs either smoking doobies and drinking shots at graveside, or firing pistols into the sky as a last salute...the list goes on and on.

I can only imagine the cost of regulation in this field … most of them have a lay away plan (sorry) …

By the way I've heard all the jokes...
1. we're the last ones to let you down
2. how many people are dead in the cemetery? All of them
3. people are dying to get in
It really is a grim business, "the dismal trade" and one develops a gallows humor. It seems very normal for me to talk to someone who is terminal, and make their plans. I am across the table from someone who will cease to be, sometimes within days or weeks. It can be very sobering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back