So you want to drive The Ring?

Why did the videographer stop his car?
Surely any mandatory "help out crash victims laws" pertaining to German drivers wouldn't apply on a race track.
Appears he contributed mightily to the pile up.

I'm all for safety but that move looked like, "Joe Safety Boy Scout Wants to be a First Responder".

Surely any mandatory "help out crash victims laws" pertaining to German drivers wouldn't apply on a race track.

I'm all for safety but that move looked like, "Joe Safety Boy Scout Wants to be a First Responder".
To attempt to warn oncoming racers since the accident was right after a high speed curve.

My understanding is that the ring is normally a toll road so the rule of never get out of your car unless it's on fire does not apply when it's not closed for actual race duty.

Because he was being foolish. Aside from the first car smacking the barrier (and maybe a second), the videographer's car was the first car hit by another. All he did was clog up the track with his stationary vehicle.

Scott
You do know that he was parked off the track against the wall right?

Helmet-cam driver was in the wrong.

From https://nuerburgring.de/info/company/gtc/driving-regulations:
The entire Nürburgring, including the hard shoulders, is an absolute no-stopping zone. Vehicles with technical defects are exempted from this rule. Turning and reversing is also banned on the Nürburgring.

The only exemption is if the vehicle has a technical problem and is disabled or leaking fluids or if vehicle(s) has been involved in an incident (collision). There's also signage at the entrance indicating no stopping unless disabled.

By the video, he wasn't involved in the incident and his vehicle was fully operational. He was trying to be a good samaritan.

No matter what his good intentions were, he was flat out wrong to stop.

If you look closely, just before the videographer stops his car, you see a huge smoke Cloud. The videoquality is bad, because of sunlight glaring.

Possible reasoen: A exploded engine of the car that allready stopped aside of the track in front of the videographer car.
This car probably has all oil and coolant spilled over the track. This would also explain that the following cars slide heavily while they try to brake.

So, the videographer maybe has seen more in reality compare to what we could see in this video and try to warn other cars.
In my opinion, ha has done everything right.

Except that the professional operators of the track strongly disagree with you. See post #11.

Scott
I believe that's for parking. Not for accidents. In fact if you're unable to pass the accident, which I'm assuming the driver was unable, parking your vehicle against the wall and getting yourself out over the wall is the proper thing to do because you could get killed if you remained in your car.

Last edited:
Correct. But your options are....... ?
Keep driving. Let the track operators deal with it. Their rules could not be more clear. The rules said, "The entire Nürburgring, including the hard shoulders, is an absolute no-stopping zone." (bold italics mine).

The videographer was the first car impacted by another after the original crash. Did that help the overall situation?

Scott

Back