So You Think Tires Are Expensive Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will be getting much more expensive in the future, I would expect:

"…...Pirelli introduced the concept for Cyber Tire, an intelligent tire that provides data about the vehicle, tire and road conditions, in 2010. Today, the tiremaker announced that the Cyber Tire project is completed and currently being studied for inclusion as original equipment by the world’s major car manufacturers……."

"...Central to Cyber Tire’s design is an autonomous electronic sensor that reads the road and its interaction with the tire, ‘talking’ in real time via a wireless connection to the car’s onboard computer and other electronic systems……."

http://www.tirereview.com/pirelli-cyber-tire/

Eh... I'm trying hard to figure out what advantage their system would have over something that works less directly (think stability control sensors) for a lot less money and potential headache.

In California the democratically controlled state government has had discussions about an extra eco-tire tax on every tire sold because of the damage tires do to the environment. It was stated that people that drive have jobs and are business owners and can afford to help offset the expenses of taking care of the people of California. This goes hand and hand with proposed mileage taxes and the 2015 Cap & Trade tax on fuel used in transportation.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
2015 Cap & Trade tax

Picture0003.jpg

Of course I won't be pointing and lauging when it happens to the rest of us...

In California the democratically controlled state government has had discussions about an extra eco-tire tax on every tire sold because of the damage tires do to the environment. It was stated that people that drive have jobs and are business owners and can afford to help offset the expenses of taking care of the people of California. This goes hand and hand with proposed mileage taxes and the 2015 Cap & Trade tax on fuel used in transportation.

Democratically controlled as the citizens voted them in. Reap what you sow.

Luckily the US is still a free country allowing you to move out of such jurisdictions.

In California the democratically controlled state government has had discussions about an extra eco-tire tax on every tire sold

I'd rather pay the environmental costs on a tire (or electronic, paint, flourescent tube, etc) when it's new than be on the hook at disposal time-- removing the temptation to just chuck them in the woods or whatever.

In California the democratically controlled state government has had discussions about an extra eco-tire tax on every tire sold because of the damage tires do to the environment.

I think many states have this, even if it's not called a "tax". North Carolina does. There are two fees that you potentially pay when you buy new tires (besides state sales tax). There's a tire disposal fee, which the shop often charges to dispose of your old tires. You can avoid this fee by keeping them and then disposing them yourself for free at the county's recycling center. The other fee is an "environmental fee" that's supposed to go into a fund to help pay for mitigation of unpermitted tire dumps, tire fires, tire disposal programs, etc. Presumably, this fee pays to properly dispose of those tires dumped in the woods by folks avoiding the first fee...

The majority of Californians are gullible fools for keeping the government as is.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Sounds like another fiasco in the making. PAX tires at 2800 bucks a set. LOL

The PAX tires for my Honda Odyssey are now down to about $ 600 a set... but nobody buys them 'cause most owners switched to a non pax wheel years ago...

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Originally Posted By: Trav
Sounds like another fiasco in the making. PAX tires at 2800 bucks a set. LOL

The PAX tires for my Honda Odyssey are now down to about $ 600 a set... but nobody buys them 'cause most owners switched to a non pax wheel years ago...

Amazing. IN 06 they were $700 a wheel. No PAX machines available just a used wheel/new tire exchange deal.
This article is from 08. Thy must have a lot left over they want to get rid of, like you say de pax was/is the norm.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Isn't the rubber from old tires reused to make new ones?

I know that they're used in manufacture of agricultural and other off-road tires, as well as several different building products. I don't think they make good material for new street tires, though.

who would buy that?

tires have actually become cheaper for me over the past 4-5 years or so, not sure why

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418

I know that they're used in manufacture of agricultural and other off-road tires, as well as several different building products. I don't think they make good material for new street tires, though.

so who makes the rubber mulch?i saw that on a few kids playgrounds so it must be somewhat safe.....(Illinois so lots of regulations....)

Not much for consumer auto tires. Bridgestone Ecopias have I think 5% recycled content. I think when you recycle tire material it becomes harder hence it used more for larger items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back