So will GOOD used cars become rare soon?

Yeepers. Thought I found something on CL, seemed maybe too good to be true... I don't know how good carfax nor any other site is, but luckily the CL ad had the VIN listed (surprisingly) and a simple search showed an auction site, showing a minor collision which likely totaled the car, with a popped airbag and front wheels pointing in different directions.

Kinda took the wind out of my sails, just like out of that bag... no idea if repaired right, not driving an hour to find out.

Maybe there is value going off a dealer who lists a free Carfax, dunno. I'd buy a wreck for myself but not for the kids.

Let's get to the real point here. How many of you are willing to buy one of the five S's?

Saturn
Scion
Smart
Suzuki
SAAB

Let's throw in Mercury, Pontiac and Mitsubishi into the mix. Are you willing to buy an unpopular or defunct brand?

Yours truly

Oldsmobile, Plymouth, and Eagle Owners of America (The Opeys!)

Let's get to the real point here. How many of you are willing to buy one of the five S's?

Saturn
Scion
Smart
Suzuki
SAAB

Let's throw in Mercury, Pontiac and Mitsubishi into the mix. Are you willing to buy an unpopular or defunct brand?

Yours truly

No, because what will parts availability be like in 5 years? what if on the road and it barfs something?

On that list I’d do Scion as it’s probably mostly Toyota.

Heh, was perusing old posts here, and someone mentioned ”the used market doesn’t lie”. There’s a reason why some depreciated badly. Was looking at a Sable only to find out transmissions are iffy.

Saturn
Scion
Smart
Suzuki
SAAB

Yours truly

I find used cars with issues(parts availability, known expensive failures) aren't really discounted enough in the used market for the potential PITA... They are a bit cheaper, but the dealers are willing to wait for the uninformed to show up and get a "deal".
I still would probably get a Suzuki, Scion, or Scion, as lots were sold, but never a SAAB or Smart even if they were still around.
For small and midsized used cars I think Ford is pretty good deal, certainly much cheaper than Honda and Toyota, and still don't have too many major component issues.
Of course Ford quit making cars so going forward I'll have to do some research.

No, because what will parts availability be like in 5 years? what if on the road and it barfs something?

On that list I’d do Scion as it’s probably mostly Toyota.

Heh, was perusing old posts here, and someone mentioned ”the used market doesn’t lie”. There’s a reason why some depreciated badly. Was looking at a Sable only to find out transmissions are iffy.
The Aisin 6 speed transmission on the Sable, Taurus, Montego, Five Hundred and Taurus X (years 2005 - 2009) are bulletproof. Especially if the transmission was serviced at around 60k miles.

The CVT is the one to avoid.

The Aisin 6 speed transmission on the Sable, Taurus, Montego, Five Hundred and Taurus X (years 2005 - 2009) are bulletproof. Especially if the transmission was serviced at around 60k miles.

The CVT is the one to avoid.
What about the 4 speed ones? I thought they were problematic?

Probably worth splitting into its own thread, but, did they come with I4's? I wanted to avoid traverse V6's if I could.

I spent a good amount time living throughout Europe, and over there you order your car and wait 3-5 months. Maybe that’s the direction the US dealers will take. 🤷‍♂️

What about the 4 speed ones? I thought they were problematic?

Probably worth splitting into its own thread, but, did they come with I4's? I wanted to avoid traverse V6's if I could.
You're thinking about the prior gen Taurus/Sable which went from 2001 thru 2007. Unless they had their transmissions serviced I would avoid them completely. Feel free to visit car-part.com and you can get a pretty good grasp on cost vs. mileage on those units.

You're thinking about the prior gen Taurus/Sable which went from 2001 thru 2007. Unless they had their transmissions serviced I would avoid them completely. Feel free to visit car-part.com and you can get a pretty good grasp on cost vs. mileage on those units.
That was my thought, wasn't paying attention to generations though. Just surfing CL, trying desperately to find another car for an upcoming teen driver. I'm not up for flying at this time of the year, so, if I find something local that isn't rusted then I'm ahead of the game. But I'm in a tight bind: low cost, rust-free, curtain airbags, preferably 20 years old, sedan or hatch (short driver, prefer no CUV), easy repairs (for a hack like me), not RWD. And cheap. Not many choices. Trying not to go to a dealer lot but the better vehicles have free Carfaxes, which while they aren't the greatest, are a heck of a lot better than nothing.

That was my thought, wasn't paying attention to generations though. Just surfing CL, trying desperately to find another car for an upcoming teen driver. I'm not up for flying at this time of the year, so, if I find something local that isn't rusted then I'm ahead of the game. But I'm in a tight bind: low cost, rust-free, curtain airbags, preferably 20 years old, sedan or hatch (short driver, prefer no CUV), easy repairs (for a hack like me), not RWD. And cheap. Not many choices. Trying not to go to a dealer lot but the better vehicles have free Carfaxes, which while they aren't the greatest, are a heck of a lot better than nothing.
Well here are my listings...

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=steven lang

You'd do well in a Fusion but the rockers seem to disappear up here.
Do their values just tank? I found an '07 with an I4, not sure what to make of a wholesale lot, but I'm thinking, if I take a jack with me and look for the usual rust, how bad could it be?

Look! I can only get rid of a Honda after 300k. I change the fluids on a ocd religion but I can try to be on level where people want to buy my cars. I can honestly say that the mechanics love working on my vehicles.

Saturn
Scion
Smart
Suzuki
SAAB
Three of them, sure. Saturns don't rust on the outside and are easy to fix. Scion is a Toyota. Saabs are nice.

Scion and Saab parts in junkyards are a lot harder to come by than Saturn parts. I don't know about the current market, but when people were worried about not being able to get dealer Saab parts, enough aftermarket manufacturers turned that into much less of a problem.

I have owned four 3800 powered GM’s over the years. They were my go to for used cars, I could find low mile Grandma units for a decent price fairly easily. Hard to find now with low miles and in decent shape.

Seems like everything under the sun that could continue to push prices higher continues except for high interest rates possibly counteracting that - so the fed hopes.

Not to mention I really don't think the current crop of cars are going to be as robust as ones from 20 years ago, and the OEM's are delivery far fewer new models.
Good assessment. I don't think cars will ever be cheap or affordable again. It would take a major shift from "consumer, welfare society" to "producer, saver society." Noone in the political landscape has the stomach for this.

I totally agree that cars made in 2018+ will be nowhere as durable as older models. This only compounds the problem.

There's a small chance that we will see a massive external shock that could cause car prices to collapse. For example, a balanced budget (yeah, right), or $300/barrel oil or hyperinflating electricity rates. But even so, the govt will step in and prevent free market from cleansing the mess and either start rationing resources or hyperinflating welfare to "fight the hyperinflation."

One of my biggest fears nowadays is that my 20-year-old dependable cars will be in an accident. I can't imagine being a sucker-buyer in this insane market.

Long-term I suspect many buyers, especially those who are older and experienced drivers, will reject the nanny/Big Brother tech in newer vehicles in favor of older stuff, which will keep prices higher on used vehicles. That was a big factor in my buying a 2011 Ranger last year instead of something newer.

The younger crowd who are used to the tech and to being watched and monitored will buy new. Most others, not so much.
At the end of this march, I will have my 32nd birthday. Growing up poor, the family cars were late 70's- early 90's $400 s#!t boxes with more miles than a greyhound bus. To this day with driving vehicles from 1947 to 2021, that automotive era is my favorite.

They've been gone for some time IMO
Look at this latest menagerie of mediocrity 🤨
PXL_20230108_204147001.jpg

2003 Echo Auto, 130k, full of water, $1800
PXL_20230114_182205987.jpg

2004 Civic LX Coupe Auto, 180k, $2850
PXL_20230114_185525269.jpg

2004 CR-V EX 4WD Auto, 130k, $5000, the power steering doesn't work and the sunroof looks stuck slightly open

Nevermind what's actually wrong with them, God knows if the heat/air works, and if they'll pass NY state inspection

I'm told prices are moderating, but down in the trenches it seems as bad as ever 😳

Back