so what's better? GC 0W-30 (SL) or syntec 5W-30 SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to take advantage of the Castrol EDGE STP 10qts (for 08 Sienna) + 2 Bosch 3311 filters (for my Corolla) offer at Autozone (60 - $14 - $4 = 42 +tax+MIRpostage), and today I saw that both the 0W-30SL and 5W-30SN are in stock... My 08 Sienna calls for "ILSAC multigrade engine oil 5W-30", so I guess 5W-30 should be a safe choice? I googled and read tens of GC threads but it is still not convincing that GC will do any better than the recommended grade oil... The van is for <5mile town trips and occasional longer (30~40 mile) trips, and my OCI is twice a yr regardless.

If it has the 2GR-FE 3.5L V6 then i would recommend 0w20 for the sienna. GC 0w30 still meets the specs if i recall, but for your short trip Massachusetts weather (winter ahead), 0w20 sounds better.

FYI: 5w20 and 0w20 are both approved by toyota for your sienna, regardless of which engine.

Flip a coin because there is really no big deal. The 0w30 is on the thick side, the 5w30 is very good and will work well also. It really does not make a difference which one you choose.

Your Toyota engine does not require a high HT/HS oil such as GC. All you'd be doing is reducing your fuel economy. Go for the 5w-30 SN.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Your Toyota engine does not require a high HT/HS oil such as GC. All you'd be doing is reducing your fuel economy. Go for the 5w-30 SN.

Believe it or not,I got some of my best gas millage on GC in my old 2001 RX. But it couldnt pull the hills here after work too well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back