So what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Castrol's tech line. They said the only change made to GC was to meet GF-4. Agree. Now if only the additive package changed, I still think this oil will show great numbers. It turns out that the PAO base oil is what made this oil good and NOT the additive package. So logically if that stays the same, I'd expect similar performance. This is my take on it. Now lets break down Mobil 1, the world's leading synthetic motor oil that commands 65% of the market.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I called Castrol's tech line. They said the only change made to GC was to meet GF-4. Agree. Now if only the additive package changed, I still think this oil will show great numbers. It turns out that the PAO base oil is what made this oil good and NOT the additive package. So logically if that stays the same, I'd expect similar performance. This is my take on it. Now lets break down Mobil 1, the world's leading synthetic motor oil that commands 65% of the market.

I think that what I think is that I think they shouldn't have gone after GF-4 but after 229.5...I think
grin.gif

The original GC did not meet the fuel economy requirements of GF-3 because it was a high 30 wt. If they have changed the formula enough to meet the GF-4 fuel economy requirements, then I don't think this "new" GC is going to be as robust as the old.

quote:

If they have changed the formula enough to meet the GF-4 fuel economy requirements, then I don't think this "new" GC is going to be as robust as the old.

Hmmm. Your right about that. I didn't think about that aspect of it. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well if they "thinned it out" for GF-4/fuel economy, they didn't do very much. 04 stuff is 12.1 cst@100 while 05 dropped way down to 12.0
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by shortyb:
Well if they "thinned it out" for GF-4/fuel economy, they didn't do very much. 04 stuff is 12.1 cst@100 while 05 dropped way down to 12.0
dunno.gif

Yes, but the only VOA I've seen posted of the gold stuff was SL rated, not SM/GF-4, and it did not have GF-4 levels of zinc and phos. If they have truly reformulated Syntec 0w30 to meet GF-4, I don't think we've seen it yet.

quote:

If they have truly reformulated Syntec 0w30 to meet GF-4, I don't think we've seen it yet.

Correct. I'll ask again tomorrow and double check. If they make the GC GF-4 compliant, I'd expect a A1/B5 rating.

quote:

If they make the GC GF-4 compliant, I'd expect a A1/B5 rating.

I will not panic...I will not panic...[breathe deeply]...I will not panic
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by shortyb:
dunno.gif

Yes, but the only VOA I've seen posted of the gold stuff was SL rated, not SM/GF-4, and it did not have GF-4 levels of zinc and phos. If they have truly reformulated Syntec 0w30 to meet GF-4, I don't think we've seen it yet.

Agreed. Hope they do keep it rather "intact" in spite of the GF-4 rating.

Still think this was/is an esoteric formulation and don't think it came here for fuel economy reasons. Trying to pidgoen-hole it to fit a particular task just doesn't seem what its all about. My take anyway
cheers.gif

*dumb question* ~~> Does engine size/hp have any affect on the "decreased fuel economy" often reported by switching to GC? Meaning, would a 4 banger feel a bigger hit than a V6 or V8? I'm wondering because I'm going to switch my Grand Am (V6) soon.

I just hope my engine will rejoice.
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
*dumb question* ~~> Does engine size/hp have any affect on the "decreased fuel economy" often reported by switching to GC? Meaning, would a 4 banger feel a bigger hit than a V6 or V8? I'm wondering because I'm going to switch my Grand Am (V6) soon.

I just hope my engine will rejoice.
fruit.gif

I noticed no difference in mileage between factory fill, Penzoil Dino 5w-30 (SJ), 10w-30 Mobil Drive Clean (SL), GC, and 10w-30 RP (SL) in my 4 cylinder Hyundai.

quote:

Are these the same guys that said there was no difference between the German made and the made in USA versions?
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by B00SS:
Are these the same guys that said there was no difference between the German made and the made in USA versions?
rolleyes.gif

I believe the quote was along the lines of they meet the same requirements, not that they were the same.

quote:

If they only changed it to meet GF-4, then why the lower calcium?

I don't know but Mobil did the same thing to M1 and so did other brands.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:

quote:

Originally posted by B00SS:
rolleyes.gif

I believe the quote was along the lines of they meet the same requirements, not that they were the same.

Exactly. The problem is, if you compare the two on the back of the bottle, they do not meet the same specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back