So w/ the new analysis of gold GC, how do you guys know the base is ester/PAO still

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there something in the posted analysis that would indicate that? Why is the Ca so low and Mg so high? Is this a good or bad thing?

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
Check it out.

Like I said, I don't see anything in there that would indicate what the base is. And I mean that in the sense that I am ignorant; not that I am disagreeing w/ anyone. Please explain how you see this or how and what gives an indication as to what the base is; in this case the ester/PAO.

From Bruce381 in the linked thread:

I did not run IR could do so but whats the point when I did do IR on the gold it had the same polymer/ester as the green. So I'm sure gold and green differ only in additive system.

bruce381:

The Gold seems to have less P, ZN, (CA + MG). Maybe these aren't significant decreases, but they all appear to be reduced in the Gold formulation.

Of other possible additives (e.g. boron, moly, or whatever), did either the first or second analysis show an increase in the Gold formulation?

other than CA (lower) and Mg (higher) both gold and green had same IR profile which to me means no base oil change also I did a Aniline point for the heck of it and that also came out the same so for me no change in base oil.

bruce

[ September 19, 2005, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: bruce381 ]

quote:

Originally posted by bruce381:
other than CA (lower) and Mg (higher) both gold and green had same IR profile which to me means no base oil change also I did a Aniline point for the heck of it and that also came out the same so for me no change in base oil.

bruce

What's an "IR profile"? How does that pertain to base oils? What's an "aniline point"?

Yeah, my suspicions remain. Havinng carefully read and digested the very detailed testing of the other stuff (you know what I'm talking about), I have great confidence that Green GC is a product I can trust. I don't see anything yet that makes me feel the same way about the gold stuff. The chemistry change is a strong suggestion that the base composition may in fact be different. How different, I have no idea. Until I know more, I'm not assuming anything about the gold 0w-30.

IR overlay is basicly a finger print of the base oil and additives green and gold look the same.

Aniline Pt is a mesurement of the oils "solubility" If esters or mineral oils were sustituted most likey the Aniline Pt would change from gold to green but they are the same. So is the IR overlay so I'd say other than a different Additive system which could also be indicated from color depth same stuff.
bruce

" . . . so I'd say other than a different additive system . . ."

Wouldn't the differences in additive systems suggest some difference in performance?

That is, if the base oils/esters are the same, but the additive packages are different, wouldn't the performance of the respective oils be different . . . ala the difference in additive packages? ????

Bob A.

could be but the claim to fame has been the base stock polymer/ester thickener syetem I believe.
Others that have been involved can coment.
bruce

I certainly don't disagree that the claim to fame for GC, green or gold, has been the polymer/ester base; but, additives do make a difference . . . and there seems to be some difference between the two in this respect.

The question for those of us who are not chem majors and techies is: are there differences in performance between the two formulations, based on differences in additive packages, and, if so, are these performance differences significant?

This, in the least, is a pseudo scientific question, i.e., do their different additive packages result in "significant differences" in performance . . . ? !!!

Only the UOAs will tell . . . ! (Not the VOAs!)
grin.gif

Bob A.

"Only the UOAs will tell . . . ! (Not the VOAs!)"

thats what everyone is waiting on VOA's are OK but UOA's will seperate the men from the boys
bruce

" . . . VOAs are O.K., but UOAs will separate the men from the boys."

Indeed!

You're up late in this time zone, bruce381 . . . and vigilant on this forum.
smile.gif

Bob A.

quote:

VOA's are OK but UOA's will seperate the men from the boys
bruce

I've got a sample of the Gold, with a little over 5,000 miles on it. From a Volkswagen VR6 with 280,000+ miles on the engine - just waiting for the blackstone test kit

f1forkvr6,

Looks great!

What brand air and oil filters did you use during this interval?

Thanks,

Bowser

I usually use Hengst Oil filters, but had to settle for an knock-off made in India for this interval. I use Mann air filters changed every 10-12k miles.

Seanathan, As far as I know, no one has compared the Gold GC to the American 0w-30. But the specs that the two oils meet that are printed on the back of the bottle are totally different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back