So they do exist...Mahindra Roxor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spotted my first Mahindra Roxor today, still wrapped up. Wish I could have gotten a closer look.

[Linked Image]

The color looks good on it, I also like the basic steel wheels on this one.

No, they are not street legal, basically a big side by side. Pretty cool though.
www.roxoroffroad.com

Originally Posted by maxdustington
If they were street legal I would buy one immediately.

The Roxor and the Suzuki Jimny are two cars I wouldn't bat an eye at buying brand new.

same here, be a perfect camp or lake house vehicle

If they were street legal I would buy one immediately.

The Roxor and the Suzuki Jimny are two cars I wouldn't bat an eye at buying brand new.

If i had the money for one of these I could see myself buying a really rotted out CJ or YJ and making one out of two.

No matter what Mahindra is calling it, I'm surprised that Jeep hasn't sued them for design infringement like they did when Hummer tried to have a similarly slotted grill.

Not a fan of Mahindra products, personally.

I can't remember specifics, but Mahindra has a long history of building licensed Jeeps and knock down kits, and that's basically why they can sell this in the US.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
I can't remember specifics, but Mahindra has a long history of building licensed Jeeps and knock down kits, and that's basically why they can sell this in the US.

Interesting

Yes, they have been making licensed Jeeps for decades, down to the F head engine. We used to get then in NZ back in the '80's...and still a few on the road. And they were called Mahindra Mahindra back then....they seem to have dropped a Mahindra.

The local Mahindra dealer got 5 in stock a few months ago. One sold and the other four have been sitting. They just put sale prices on them this week, reducing the prices by $3k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by A_Spruce
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

Interesting

Originally Posted by Silk
Yes, they have been making licensed Jeeps for decades, down to the F head engine. We used to get then in NZ back in the '80's...and still a few on the road. And they were called Mahindra Mahindra back then....they seem to have dropped a Mahindra.

the Actual Name of the Company is Still "Mahindra & Mahindra Limited"(*), which is a subsidiary of "The Mahindra Group", a Mumbai based Multinational Conglomerate.
They Started Building Licensed CJ3's in 1954. (which isn't to say that Fiat Chrysler didn't try and stop them from bringing the Roxor into the US, initially not wanting to recognize the Original Licensing agreement With Willys.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahindra_%26_Mahindra
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahindra_Group

* "Mahindra & Mahindra was incorporated as Mahindra & Mohammed in 1945 by the brothers J. C. Mahindra and K. C. Mahindra and Malik Ghulam Muhammad in Ludhiana, Punjab to trade steel. Following the Partition of India in 1947, Malik Ghulam Muhammad left the company and emigrated to Pakistan where he became the first finance minister of the new state (and later the third Governor General in 1951). In 1948, K. C. Mahindra changed the company's name to Mahindra & Mahindra.

Building on their expertise in the steel industry, the Mahindra brothers began trading steel with UK suppliers. They also won a contract to manufacture Willys Jeeps in India and began producing them in 1947."

Originally Posted by Miller88
If i had the money for one of these I could see myself buying a really rotted out CJ or YJ and making one out of two.
You tried to build one as well, eh? When you start to add the goodies the price climbs pretty quick. The 16K base model is literally a WW2 jeep! Imagine taking that thing on the highway!

Originally Posted by A_Spruce
No matter what Mahindra is calling it, I'm surprised that Jeep hasn't sued them for design infringement like they did when Hummer tried to have a similarly slotted grill.

Not a fan of Mahindra products, personally.

I think Jeep did.
The new grill is angled in and looks a lot less Jeepie.

The Mahindra was pretty close to the original Jeep, but I knew a guy who rebodied one. He made a complete new body from 16 gauge alloy, he used the original grill, but cut it down 2'' to be the same as the WWII Jeep. Later he repowered it with a Buick V6, and then Blazer axles.

If you head north on I-65, between Cullman and Decatur, Fredrick's outdoors has them on the lot with the tractors and boats. I've not seen one up close, but I think they're pretty neat. Too bad they aren't street legal. That really limits them to being a low commodity, niche vehicle. I bet that diesel/5 speed combo would churn some serious mpgs.

Some places allow side-by-sides to made street legal. In those places the Roxor can also be made street legal.

Miller88 said:
...The 16K base model is literally a WW2 jeep! Imagine taking that thing on the highway!

Freiburger and Pewe did just that... of course they added an external overdrive...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Miller88
You tried to build one as well, eh? When you start to add the goodies the price climbs pretty quick. The 16K base model is literally a WW2 jeep! Imagine taking that thing on the highway!

I'd be dumb enough to take one on the highway! For what they cost, I'd be driving it everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back