so the DT guys used a torque stick to tighten my

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Public service announcement:

The unit is foot-pounds, ft-lbs, ft-#, lever arm (X) force in pounds.

Lb/ft and ft/lb is incorrect.

Actually, the unit in the English system is pounds-force-feet, properly abbreviated lbsf-ft. In the metric system, Newton-meter is commonly used--the unit of force and the unit of leverage. Or the tangential and radial components.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Public service announcement:

The unit is foot-pounds, ft-lbs, ft-#, lever arm (X) force in pounds.

Lb/ft and ft/lb is incorrect.

It's actually none of those.

We're measuring torque here, which is force * distance. We Americans use lb*ft. Others use N*m (or more simply, Nm). Either way, the proper operator is multiplication (* or x, or 'nothing' as with Nm), not division (/) or subtraction (-).

The correct designation is lb*ft.

Somewhat confusingly, and despite multiplication's commutative property, the ft*lb is something different...it's not a measurement of torque, but a measurement of work or energy (the metric version is Joule). You can apply lb*ft of torque to something and actually do no ft*lb of work. Muzzle velocities in the firearms industry are often measured in ft*lb, which is very different from us measuring lug torque (lb*ft).

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I was beginning to think I was the only guy in the world who feathers the trigger on his old impact. It definitely is possible to reduce the torque with just trigger action, it just takes a bit of 'touch' and some experience...

See the first response in the whole thread, page one.

:p

The gun jockey's drive me nuts, great way to ruin a nice light weight set of wheels. Hubs with bolts are very sensitive to half a million foot pounds of torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back