So soon? 2018 f150 master cylinder

Truck turned 33,333.3 miles on the way to work this morning. It hasn’t been driven as much this 3rd year of its life. It’s had a dealer HVAC repair, has had the 10r80 rough shift complaints, and is developing what is still a very minor coolant leak. Today, while stopped at a light, the brake pedal gradually sank to the floor. I couldn’t believe it. Pressed hard into it for a couple other stops, and yes, slowly sinks 3/4 to the floor.

lve never had one go this early. Truck is 2 months out of warranty. I don’t think I’ll use a dealer fomoco master cylinder - think aftermarket would do better than that. ...thinking Napa.

-m

I'd call the dealership just to see if they're willing to do a good faith repair but I'd very much doubt it.

Does your truck have a 2017 build date by chance? If so it might be subject to the master cylinder recall.

That’s a good idea. It’s outside the year range but the build date could be interesting. The dealer I trust is an hour away. I’ll look up the build date. maybe I just take it to the dealer to fuss about the coolant leak as well.

Wow, that surely stinks. Good luck on the warranty work and hope it's in the recall.

I loved my F150, but it started having weird stuff happen at less than 65k miles...if I get another truck it'll likely be a Tundra.

Parts store master cylinders can be hit or miss from my experience. Not too sure who makes the Napa usually they have good products though but I’d use Raybestos but that’s just me. If it was any newer you’d have a hard time finding parts for it. Interesting it went this soon. That’s definitely the soonest I’ve seen one go. Usually they last years and years. I believe I had a customer once who had one around 5 years old and they were leaning on it doing another repair and broke the plastic reservoir off so it had to be replaced. I found that kind of funny actually.

I had a master cylinder fail long ago on my three year old Ford. I don't think it was covered by warranty at that time nor did I even check. I just bench bled and changed it out. New one didn't cost much and took little time to change out.Sometimes they go over twenty years, sometimes three. Stuff happens. I don't think a new replacement master cylinder from your Ford dealer should raise any concerns. I doubt the dealer replacements are from the same source as the ones on the assembly line anyway.

Wow, that surely stinks. Good luck on the warranty work and hope it's in the recall.

I loved my F150, but it started having weird stuff happen at less than 65k miles...if I get another truck it'll likely be a Tundra.
You know what, I'm kinda in the same boat. I do love my truck (19 SuperCab 2.7), but it is falling apart.

Rear doors rattle, the trans clunks into gears hard, clunks into reverse hard, gets confused on the Thruway -- I have pressed the accelerator before going about 55-60mph to get a downshift and the trans clunked and the gear indicator in the dash blinked between gears not knowing what to do.

BCM/weird electrical issues.

You know what, I'm kinda in the same boat. I do love my truck (19 SuperCab 2.7), but it is falling apart.

Rear doors rattle, the trans clunks into gears hard, clunks into reverse hard, gets confused on the Thruway -- I have pressed the accelerator before going about 55-60mph to get a downshift and the trans clunked and the gear indicator in the dash blinked between gears not knowing what to do.

BCM/weird electrical issues.
Your truck is a 2019 and falling apart with shifting problems?

That’s terrible!

I would definitely check the dealer first. You might get it covered or discounted this close to the warranty expiring. Master cylinders shouldn’t go out like that at such a young age.

Many of the new Napa master cylinders are Cardone sourced.

I would rather have the Ford one, even though the OE MC failed early.

The Raybestos catalog does not show an MC for 2018, but they do show one for 2017. COO is China, as are most of the aftermarket ones now.

Copy all.... reading this I think I’ll give the dealer a shot. Called them today and they’re supposed to call me back tomorrow - I’m an hour outside of the one I prefer so they have to find me a loaner or other way home. So far, they’ve been accommodating. I know I could replace it myself in around the same two hour round trip, but perhaps they can also pinpoint the small coolant leak. Power train is still under warranty. I’ll let you know what they say.

Mine did have a very soft pedal new. Bleeding didn’t really change it. Pads made a large difference and the “driver” in me liked the firmer pedal. It has definitely become softer over time since changing pads but I didn’t really notice. A double-pump firms it up noticeably.

my favored dealer has not responded.... the service manager who would set me up with a loaner is no longer there and after two days and two calls they’ve not returned either call, so they aren’t the direction I’m going to go in.

so this is weird.... I drove it today. It sank some the first two times and then did not sink, but just stayed squishy, for the rest of the day. Waaaa?

I think for now I’m just going to drive it. It’s not lost any fluid, which it would show if it was leaking into the booster. If it’s not leaking into the booster and it’s just minor sinkage, imma drive it until it gets worse. If it does, I’ll do it myself or let the Firestone within walking distance from my house have it (they’ve been fine with small jobs like this, and right now I don’t have much time).

Im a little disappointed in the dealer.... I bought it from the one out of town specifically to avoid the one in my town, which does not have a good reputation in sales or service.

m

Back