So no one knows if GC 0w-30 is Group V

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002289#000004

According to this thread, G Man II states that the German Castrol 0w-30 is probably a Group V oil due to its extremely low pourpoint of -81F. I dont see how that has to do with anything.

Let's take an example:
Amsoil 5w-30 pourpoint: -65F
Redline 5w-30 pourpoint: -49F

Isn't Amsoil comprised of PAO basestocks? If that's the case, then how did the Amsoil 5w-30 beat the Redline 5w-30? I know for a fact that Redline's oils are polyol ester based.

Furthering my search, I found out that a letter was written to Castrol asking them directly if the GC is made up of Ester basestocks. They didn't give a direct answer. So, it's a mystery!?

quote:

Originally posted by hondaintegratypes:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002289#000004

According to this thread, G Man II states that the German Castrol 0w-30 is probably a Group V oil due to its extremely low pourpoint of -81F. I dont see how that has to do with anything.

Let's take an example:
Amsoil 5w-30 pourpoint: -65F
Redline 5w-30 pourpoint: -49F

Isn't Amsoil comprised of PAO basestocks? If that's the case, then how did the Amsoil 5w-30 beat the Redline 5w-30? I know for a fact that Redline's oils are polyol ester based.

Furthering my search, I found out that a letter was written to Castrol asking them directly if the GC is made up of Ester basestocks. They didn't give a direct answer. So, it's a mystery!?

Sure they do, and no it's not a mystery.
confused.gif
Check the Z-oil posts in the GC forum.

Generally speaking, the 4-6 Cst PAO basestocks have significantly better low temp properties than do the polyolesters used by Redline (RL).

It's only the very low viscosity "diesters" (dibasic acid esters) that have the extremely good low temp properties. Where the PE's excel is in high temp stability, hence the high flash points of the RL formulations.

Got it?
smile.gif

Tooslick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back