So my son bought a 2008 Honda Civic 1.8 salvage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Where's the deal? KBB puts this car at $5,700 if it is in good condition, is in a Honda-desired ZIP code and if the car is an EX. $1,500 discount (at absolute best) for a salvage rebuild with high mileage is no victory.

That's the thing, for $1500 it is not a deal at all. On the positive side a junk yard engine that has the redesigned block may cost you only $1500, making it a break even in the worst case.

I just checked KBB and for a private party value of just over $6500. $4200 is a pretty good deal!

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Some amsoil and a bypass filtration system should fix it up.

Or be a waste of money. The issue is with the integrity of the block material.

Friend's mom had the block crack on her 2007 Civic with ~120k miles. Was serviced by the books at the dealership. She did get a new block under warranty and the car hasn't had any other problems, but seems like kind of a stupid flaw.

Just wondering... My brother-in-law claims to be a an expert mig and tig welder. I think he probably is because he has traveled the country for the last 20 years welding mostly at various power producing facilities and other heavy duty industrial stuff.

Is it possible to weld these cracks in the aluminum blocks? I am sure Honda is doing a permanent fix by replacing the block, but is there an alternative fix?

Even if it does happen, just buy a new engine on ebay and who cares. starting at $468 shipped.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Even if it does happen, just buy a new engine on ebay and who cares. starting at $468 shipped.

I looked at that on Ebay, and dang there are lots of these engines at excellent prices with a warranty. Saw a 2009 engine with 101,000 miles for less than $500 shipped with a six month warranty. I reckon if his block does crack we will probably go this route instead of trying to fix the block, or buying a short block.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Where's the deal? KBB puts this car at $5,700 if it is in good condition, is in a Honda-desired ZIP code and if the car is an EX. $1,500 discount (at absolute best) for a salvage rebuild with high mileage is no victory.

That's the thing, for $1500 it is not a deal at all. On the positive side a junk yard engine that has the redesigned block may cost you only $1500, making it a break even in the worst case.

No it is not. You are assuming that the car is in excellent condition and ignoring the fact that the actual transactions are almosyt always below kbb. If you are going the salvage route, it really should be a half price deal
I just checked KBB and for a private party value of just over $6500. $4200 is a pretty good deal!

Originally Posted By: mk378
Show me where "salvage title" appears in the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, which is the law that governs the very limited circumstances allowing a manufacturer to legally deny their written new-car warranty.

Though the extended engine replacement warranty was a "voluntary" favor by Honda, so they are free to apply it arbitrarily.

In addition to the numerous individuals who have schooled you on this uninformed, wishful thinking assertion, how about giving a moment's thought to how the world works. Honda wants nothing to do with this eight year old salvage vehicle with high mileage.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Here is my warranty extension letter on the subject. Last sentence in the first paragraph states the vehicle can't be a total loss or have a salvage title:

20160217_180829-1.jpg

Thanks for posting that letter!

I see so it is 8 years from purchase date. I figure his is a 2008, so even if it did qualify for the warranty, it is probably just past 8 years anyway so no loss. I think I am going to call Honda, and have them check the VIN to see if the block has been replaced. Never know he might be riding around with a fairly new engine.

It doesn't matter in this case but I posted on 8thcivic.com for the first time in a few years last night and just found out my letter is outdated. In 2014 the warranty was changed to 10 years from the date of purchase.

Originally Posted By: CKN

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^The Mag/Moss Law is the most quoted but most misunderstood law. Ever!

Boy is it ever. Gets thrown around like some White Knights from the FTC are come down repelling from helicopters to save the consumer from the evil dealership by mere mention of it.

$4,200 for an 8 year old Honda with only 113k miles is an excellent deal. Your son could drive that car to 250,000 miles and it's still cheap enough to not bother with collision insurance. So what if the engine block actually does crack...just throw a junkyard or rebuilt motor in for a couple grand and keep trucking.

Even better if it's got a manual tranny.

I mean come on, it's a $4,200 sedan. It's not like this is a $35,000 truck. I wouldn't worry about it. Kudos to your son for buying a car in cash in his price range. I know many fools in his position who would buy a loaded $50,000 truck on a 6 year note.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
$4,200 for an 8 year old Honda with only 113k miles is an excellent deal. Your son could drive that car to 250,000 miles and it's still cheap enough to not bother with collision insurance. So what if the engine block actually does crack...just throw a junkyard or rebuilt motor in for a couple grand and keep trucking.

Even better if it's got a manual tranny.

I mean come on, it's a $4,200 sedan. It's not like this is a $35,000 truck. I wouldn't worry about it. Kudos to your son for buying a car in cash in his price range. I know many fools in his position who would buy a loaded $50,000 truck on a 6 year note.

This!

I've had many rebuilt titled cars and have done well with them. There is a risk, and you need to keep it and not resell it, but you can do well with them.

Last edited:
I still don't think there's anything wrong with a salvage title.

My car was just rear-ended yesterday. They haven't come out to inspect it yet, but I'm sure it's totaled. So I'll have a salvage title. So what? The quarter panel is buckled. How does that affect the drive ability of the car? I'm still going to try to take it to 300k+ miles.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

My car was just rear-ended yesterday. They haven't come out to inspect it yet, but I'm sure it's totaled. So I'll have a salvage title. So what? The quarter panel is buckled. How does that affect the drive ability of the car? I'm still going to try to take it to 300k+ miles.

Off topic but you could ask the appraiser what the repair "cost" would be so he doesn't have to total it. He would pay you less than market value but you would not have a salvage title. If the airbags didn't trigger, it may be easier to simply pay you what you both agree on. If you were going to fix it, you'd probably get used parts anyway, and he can figure that into the "estimate".

Just my two cents. Did this a few years ago on a 77 Chevy pickup that would normally have been totaled but I told the adjuster I wanted to keep it without a salvage title. It's easier on the insurance carrier...they don't want the car and wouldn't have to dispose of it.

To OP: it sounds like you and your son done good. Plan B is to replace the engine IF needed, and it may never be necessary. All the best to you both!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Yep. + 10000%
Keep your Camry and drive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back