So my son bought a 2008 Honda Civic 1.8 salvage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is becoming a little crazy. There is no recall here. That Honda might be willing to step up on a catalytic converter or safety belts has no bearing on the question of the engine block potentially cracking. It is not reasonable and is wishful thinking to think that Honda will take part in a warranty on a salvage car. Similarly, the idea that that the dealers will not check title status prior prior to replacing a $10,000 engine on an eight year old car is willfully ignorant. If you buy a salvage car, you need to know that you are on your own. (Even more so than you are in buying an eight year old vehicle.

Some earlier poster made a comment about salvage title cars being rebuilt poorly, and suggested that it was the norm. The fact is that cars are often totalled for solely economic issues. A car that depreciates quickly, is more vulnerable to being totalled. Insurance companies (wisely) may shy away from putting a heavily-damaged car back on the road. All that said, there are plenty of situations where salvage cars are repaired well, inspected, branded as reconstructed and put back into service at a substantial discount to the new owner.

Where's the deal? KBB puts this car at $5,700 if it is in good condition, is in a Honda-desired ZIP code and if the car is an EX. $1,500 discount (at absolute best) for a salvage rebuild with high mileage is no victory.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Where's the deal? KBB puts this car at $5,700 if it is in good condition, is in a Honda-desired ZIP code and if the car is an EX. $1,500 discount (at absolute best) for a salvage rebuild with high mileage is no victory.

That's the thing, for $1500 it is not a deal at all. On the positive side a junk yard engine that has the redesigned block may cost you only $1500, making it a break even in the worst case.

"Salvage title by itself does not void a warranty"

"Honda vehicles with titles that have been branded as salvaged, scrapped, or dismantled are no longer covered by the new car warranty"

Thank you BITOGers for clearing this up.
And you thought you couldn't believe anything on the Internet.

(eyerolling so hard you can hear cartilage popping)

Originally Posted By: mk378
Salvage title by itself does not void a warranty or make the car ineligible for recall repairs. They have to show that crashing, abuse, or neglect was the specific cause of the problem you are having before they can deny the warranty.

If you spend any time at all on other manufacturer's owners forums-you will find they have denied warranty coverage on items and have given reasons much more inconsequential than a branded title.

Some of the worst are Ford and Subaru.

I don't know what they are worth because I have not looked into it. What I do know it is not a standard model because it has a sun roof, spoiler, alloy wheels, power windows and all that good stuff. It does have some sort of leather on part of the driver and passenger door too. It's definitely not a standard model.

Edit: He said it was an EX-L. It has leather seats. I just did not pay attention to it when I drove it.

Show me where "salvage title" appears in the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, which is the law that governs the very limited circumstances allowing a manufacturer to legally deny their written new-car warranty.

Though the extended engine replacement warranty was a "voluntary" favor by Honda, so they are free to apply it arbitrarily.

+1 for the above comment. IMO, they paid too much for the car.

Show me where "salvage title" appears in the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, which is the law that governs the very limited circumstances allowing a manufacturer to legally deny their written new-car warranty.

Though the extended engine replacement warranty was a "voluntary" favor by Honda, so they are free to apply it arbitrarily.

I wouldn't need to show you if you'd spend a minute Googling "Salvage Vehicle Warranty". You'll find plenty of information that shows salvage vehicles usually void the manufacturer's warranty. However, since you wanted it shown to you:

Originally Posted By: AZCentral Article
"If you take a salvage title, your warranties are going to be voided."

That's true for *every single* car maker, not just Mazda. Once a car has been officially "totaled" by your insurer, any remaining warranties on the vehicle are voided.

Also, your auto insurer will never pay a damage claim on a "totaled" car-- so it's pointless to carry collision or comprehensive coverage if you have a salvage title.

Originally Posted By: Edmunds
What Voids Your Entire Warranty?

Salvage title: If your car was in a severe accident and was given a salvage title or declared a total loss, your entire warranty is voided. Unknowingly buying a salvaged car isn't an issue with certified pre-owned vehicles, but keep this in mind if you are looking to purchase a late-model used car from a private party or independent used car lot.

Even the third party warranty companies often won't touch them.

Originally Posted By: WarrantyDirect
The type of title granted to a vehicle that has been restored, rebuilt, or reconditioned from a vehicle that was once considered a salvage vehicle or that was inoperable. Despite their appearance, these vehicles are not new vehicles, certified vehicles, or even standard used vehicles. Warranty Direct does not provide coverage for these vehicles.

And of course, there is that pesky FTC with the rule exceptions for the warranty information on used cars.

Originally Posted By: FTC
Exceptions to the Rule are:

motorcycles;
any vehicle sold for scrap or parts if the dealer submits title documents to the appropriate state authority and obtains a salvage certification;
and
agricultural equipment.

Here is my warranty extension letter on the subject. Last sentence in the first paragraph states the vehicle can't be a total loss or have a salvage title:

20160217_180829-1.jpg

I just got done checking Kelly Blue Book value private party sale, and fair condition was $6019. Buying from a dealer in good condition purchase price was $8483 with a fair market range of $7623 to $9342. I searched some listings in my area, and the cheapest I could find from a dealer was $7995 at 93,000 miles. I am sure there are others, but none of them are going to be cheap.

With all the above said, I definitely don't think he got hurt at all buying it for $4200 cash. He only had $3000 cash, so I loaned him the rest. He does not have to pay collision insurance, or pay a bank loan back either. He has some insurance points, and the insurance companies would empty his wallet fast. All in all, I think he did OK other than the chance the block my crack.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Here is my warranty extension letter on the subject. Last sentence in the first paragraph states the vehicle can't be a total loss or have a salvage title:

20160217_180829-1.jpg

Thanks for posting that letter!

I see so it is 8 years from purchase date. I figure his is a 2008, so even if it did qualify for the warranty, it is probably just past 8 years anyway so no loss. I think I am going to call Honda, and have them check the VIN to see if the block has been replaced. Never know he might be riding around with a fairly new engine.

You're not going to find the term "salvage title" in Magnusson-Moss because Magnusson-Moss isn't a law about cars, it's a law about warranties.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 6starprez

20160217_180829-1.jpg

Despite all of the rhetoric, THIS answers the question. To the OP: I hope your son gets to enjoy his Honda for many more miles.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

You're not going to find the term "salvage title" in Magnusson-Moss because Magnusson-Moss isn't a law about cars, it's a law about warranties.
crackmeup2.gif

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^The Mag/Moss Law is the most quoted but most misunderstood law. Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back