So my Dad told me he never changed his coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[censored], most vehicles don't go that long with good maintenace. Maybe he's on to something... ;-)

jigen, my father in law is the same kind of guy, oil changes only, no oil level checks in between whatsoever.

He has a 2000 Toyota Echo, all fluids are original, oil changes only, at 200,000KM (120k miles) it's still going, although it drives like c!rap.

The funny thing is, he says that this car is the most reliable of all the cars he had in the past, I just laugh as 200,000 km is not a lot at all, but he thinks it is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jigen
I was over there on Father's day and we started talking about his truck. He has a 2000 S10 (2.2L, 5-speed)that has about 225k on it now. He was talking about how he never did anything to this truck maintenance-wise besides oil changes and that he is shocked it still runs so well. My dad is the kind of guy that since the truck has been running so well for this long, messing with maintenance makes him worried it will mess up the truck.

Fuel filter, spark plugs, differential and tranny fluid... all from the factory. He had the stock airfilter in there until he was having trouble starting the car. A CEL popped up and it turns out it was from the ridiculously clogged airfilter. He changed it at about 200k.

I then asked him about the coolant and of course, factory fill. I really want to drain the coolant for this man but he seems nervous it will screw things up since he went so long on factory fill.
mad.gif

I just wonder what that dexcool looks like at this point. No true point to this story other than cars and trucks these days can obviously take insane amounts of neglect and keep on goin'.

If I drain this beast, I'll post pics. lol

Pretty similar to my 96 sunfire 2.2L. OEM dexcool until 93k miles. drain/fill at 143k miles. now at 164k, that's it. changed spark plugs once. the original fuel filter two months ago. Doesn't this prove, the dexcool isn't the problem, it was the gaskets in those 3.1 and 3.4 engines?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I'd be worried about the brake fluid especially if you live in a humid climate.

Just have him change out all the fluids and spark plugs, it wouldn't cost more than $65 in parts, and he can go another 200k without any maintenance
LOL.gif

If the fuel filter is not changed,it puts a strain on the fuel pump and kills it when it is plugged up.I have changed fuel pumps due to plugged up fuel filters.The Chevy Chevettes were a piece of junk,my mother had one and was called a Shovette.

Intake gasket leaks did in more Dex-Cooled vehicles than anything. Nylon plus Dex-Cool means no more nylon.

Hey, start off with a fuel filter and a can of fuel system cleaner or two and move on up from there.

My Pa is the same way. He'll buy a car used at 20-30k miles, do NO maintenance except oil changes... bittch for a couple years about how much repairs are costing him, then trade the thing off at about 100-120k miles. I've tried for years to convince him that preventative maintenance is worth the time/money... but some people have this thing where once they're changed your diapers- they just can't quite take you seriously.

If it was me. I wouldn't touch that truck with a 10 ft. pole. If you do ANYTHING to it you will be the one responsible for whatever breaks.

Let your dad take it to a shop and let them handle it. Play the concerned son and tell your dad that you are very worried about him driving the truck in that condition. Ask him to please take it in and have services done. Like someone said above, I'd be very concerned with the brake fuid in that thing. With the old of a fluid in there the rubber break lines can't be in good shape either. Tell him it worries ou to think about him possibly being hurt because something major could fail. Getting hurt because of a lack of routine maintenence is just something that shouldn't happen but very likely could if something major gives up while he's runing down the highway.

Quote:
If it was me. I wouldn't touch that truck with a 10 ft. pole. If you do ANYTHING to it you will be the one responsible for whatever breaks.

Heh. That's a good point... and one that I've learned the hard way a couple of times.

so was he getting the oil changed at 3K? It's sooo much better for the tranny/brakes/suspension than waiting till 5K, maybe this is the post we needed for you non believers

Well the 4 cylinder is mated to the 4L60E which is the same transmission that connects to v8. So this transmission is so over built for the power that is going through it in this case.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
so was he getting the oil changed at 3K? It's sooo much better for the tranny/brakes/suspension than waiting till 5K, maybe this is the post we needed for you non believers

He is a pretty traditional oil change guy. He might say he tries to do all the cars at 3k, but I've seen his truck slip in the 5 to maybe 6k range without one. He does pretty much all highway miles with his job, so I don't really think he over does it on his oil too much.

- I am taking the concerned son route. He mentioned about getting stuff done at the shop he's been taking all his cars to. I told him that I could really do a lot of the stuff no problem. But like most said, he would blame me for something happening, might as well let him go to the mechanic he trusts.

- As for the tranny. The fluid may need to be changed badly, but it is a 5-speed manual and I am pretty sure GM states that fluid is good for life. If the manual says that my dad would most likely not have it changed.

Either way I can probably talk him into a coolant flush. I am more interested in doing that than anything else, lol.

The Chevy Chevettes were a piece of junk,my mother had one and was called a Shovette.

That would be a "piece of Shovette"

At least with no maintainence (except oil changes)the truck hasn't been subjected to "mechanical malpractice"

No shoddy workmanship or cheap or wrong fluids added.

- As for the tranny. The fluid may need to be changed badly, but it is a 5-speed manual and I am pretty sure GM states that fluid is good for life. If the manual says that my dad would most likely not have it changed.

Either way I can probably talk him into a coolant flush. I am more interested in doing that than anything else, lol.

Since it's a manual trans the fluid change isn't as important as it is with an automatic. But no matter what the dealer or manufacturer say it's not ood for the LIFE of the vehicle. It's very easy and cheap to change so I would suggest that he have it done. Since he does the oil changes fairly regularly tell thim that the tranny should get a drain & refill at every 10th oil change.

I have a neighbor who is an engineer who never seems to do PM on his car except oil. He never washes it, he leaves the pine needles and leaves on the cowl, doesn't change coolant, ATF or brake fluid and he rarely seems to have a problem. He had a '66 Mustang and he was hit in the rear on a local road and the car fell apart in the middle of the road from the rust. He will probably live a long life while I get a heart attack while waxing my car.

Last edited:
I was over there on Father's day and we started talking about his truck. He has a 2000 S10 (2.2L, 5-speed)that has about 225k on it now. He was talking about how he never did anything to this truck maintenance-wise besides oil changes and that he is shocked it still runs so well. My dad is the kind of guy that since the truck has been running so well for this long, messing with maintenance makes him worried it will mess up the truck.

Fuel filter, spark plugs, differential and tranny fluid... all from the factory. He had the stock airfilter in there until he was having trouble starting the car. A CEL popped up and it turns out it was from the ridiculously clogged airfilter. He changed it at about 200k.

I then asked him about the coolant and of course, factory fill. I really want to drain the coolant for this man but he seems nervous it will screw things up since he went so long on factory fill.
mad.gif

I just wonder what that dexcool looks like at this point. No true point to this story other than cars and trucks these days can obviously take insane amounts of neglect and keep on goin'.

If I drain this beast, I'll post pics. lol

There are more cars like that out there for sure...My friends mom has a 86 Corolla with all the original fluids..It got its first tune up last month as it was hesitating allot...The mechanic won't change any of the fluids as he said it will cause more harm then good at this point...It does run hot in traffic [needle right near the red zone]in this jungle heat but hasn't overheated yet..Its just brown rust water in the radiator...It has 200K miles on it now.

It has rust all over the top and trunk but overall runs just fine.

The a/c compressor went out last year but the mechanic says its still full of the original freon and there are no leaks...Thats amazing...She does not like a/c so the compressor will not be fixed.

The oil gets changed every six months as she drives very little now..It does not smoke at all.

An '86 Corolla LE was my first car. The body was definitely falling apart quicker than anything with the engine. I almost wish I still had that thing.

I think a lot of mechanics say changing fluids does more harm than good only because they don't want to be blamed for failure 10, 20, or 30k after they've been changed. People tend to come in about a tranny flush when they notice their trans dying out on them.

I think a lot of mechanics say changing fluids does more harm than good only because they don't want to be blamed for failure 10, 20, or 30k after they've been changed.

To expand on this, I believe an experienced mechanic recognizes this type of customer and protects/distances himself from them by claiming 'more harm than good,' while actually crying on the inside.

About your dad's truck, what does the owner's manual say for coolant and brake fluid change intervals? I'm assuming anything stated in the OM has no influence on his attitude? I'd say it's even money on either coolant system or brake system failure occurring first...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back