So much for Honda transmissions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't heard of any failures, but there've been a few reports of leakage that prompted the transmission to be replaced on a few 2005 models.

Do you think that Honda owners just expect their cars to be better? My son-in-law has an 01 Oddy and during the warranty period he went to war with the dealer with every little problem. And one problem I have not seen on this forum, but one that he had was the power doors. One one trip the dealer told him they would not take the car in for service to repair the door until they could actually see in fail to work. So he spent the day hanging around and messing with the door and it finally failed, five hours later.

Sounds a lot like the ford windstar trans problems.

It seems like Ford minivans are junk because they have bad transmissions and Honda minivans are good vans with bad transmissions.

The power of perception?

quote:

Originally posted by Thermactor:

quote:

Originally posted by milwaukee:

It seems like Ford minivans are junk because they have bad transmissions and Honda minivans are good vans with bad transmissions.

The power of perception?

Nope. My company's 2001 Windstar - at 140k - has had about $4000 of tranny work done to it. But that's not it - the van has fallen apart too:
Head gaskets at about 100k
Taillight switch faulty
Driver side window motor faulty
Squeaks and rattles galore, many minor annoyances
Just cheaply designed and manufactured all over.

OTOH, our '93 Previa - has been mostly trouble-free for 250,000 miles!

Was that company car only used by one driver? It's not fair to compare a "fleet" vehicle to your personal ride.
I wish that we could get import brands as government vehicles for "testing" purposes. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we can make any vehicle into a pile of garbage within three years; including anything manufactured by the vaunted Honda or Toyota.

quote:

Originally posted by RKBA:
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we can make any vehicle into a pile of garbage within three years

I always wondered why the local government had such a backlog of work that they needed to hire another mechanic. You've just answered my question.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
Yep, the 98-03 Siennas were one heck of a tank. The A540/541E transmissions are rock solid, know of people with 250k+ on those units. $250 timing belt swaps, less than half of what the Hondas cost.

That's some reassurance. My Avalon has the A541E, IIRC, and 185k (running clean phase of auto-rx in ATF and PS and engine right now)

quote:

The power of perception?

Nope. My company's 2001 Windstar - at 140k - has had about $4000 of tranny work done to it. But that's not it - the van has fallen apart too:
Taillight switch faulty

quote:

Originally posted by RKBA:

quote:

quote:

The power of perception?

Taillight switch faulty

Was that company car only used by one driver? It's not fair to compare a "fleet" vehicle to your personal ride.
I wish that we could get import brands as government vehicles for "testing" purposes. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we can make any vehicle into a pile of garbage within three years; including anything manufactured by the vaunted Honda or Toyota.

The Previa is not a personal vehicle, it's a fleet vehicle and it's been thrashed on for every mile of its life. Incidentally, the Windstar is the one that the manager takes home after the work day and drives around on the weekends as his own car.

You can't excuse Ford for manufacturing GARBAGE.

Once again the haters judge an entire line when thier scope of experience is one vehicle.

How do you explain the near trouble free crown vic's used in police service nearly trouble free. I am sure that the police cars see harder service than your companies minivans. Ford makes that garbage as well that last about 400K miles.

Typical life of a police car:
0-125K police work//125-250K most likely some poorer municipal govt. or vfd that takes free give away cars from richer depts.///250k-death--taxi cab companies.

I guess Ford makes some pretty durable garbage. Maybe someday honda or toyota will make a car durable enough to attempt service as a police vehicle.

quote:

Once again the haters judge an entire line when thier scope of experience is one vehicle.

How do you explain the near trouble free crown vic's used in police service nearly trouble free. I am sure that the police cars see harder service than your companies minivans. Ford makes that garbage as well that last about 400K miles.

Typical life of a police car:
0-125K police work//125-250K most likely some poorer municipal govt. or vfd that takes free give away cars from richer depts.///250k-death--taxi cab companies.

I guess Ford makes some pretty durable garbage.

Oh nice, I'm a hater now? We have exclusively Ford fleet vehicles in our stores, with the exception of a couple Previas. Mostly E250 vans. They ALL have problems, and they all have under 100,000 miles. A 2001 E250 had its transmission **** out en route to San Diego from Los Angeles last week. We found out that there's a leaky radiator in another van with only 62,000 miles.
Crown Vics are far from trouble-free, AND they are beefed-up to the gills in police trim.

[ August 27, 2006, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: smeltjr ]

quote:

Originally posted by totttalled:
We have an '03 Odyssey that we got used at 43,000 miles. So far so good. I later learned that the van had the oil jet recall done at 14,000 miles. So, I'm flushing every 15,000 miles or so with Z1, but next will probably use the Mobil 1 with Lubeguard.

Dissapointed with Honda. Only reason I got this one over the Sienna was the extra horsepower. Now, I wish I'd gotten the Toyota. I need this van to go 250,000 hard miles without major $$$, but now I'm not so sure...

You haven't yet had a problem and spent "major $$$" and the recall was performed. You say "so far so good." Give it the 250k you expect and report back.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
All reports say they play together just fine.

Yep, I just read a post where someone was running Amsoil ATF in three Hondas he owned. If your experience is as good, that'll seal the deal for me. Although, if you still can get the Z1 cheap, it may be worth it to perform a 3-change flush of the tranny first and then convert over to synthetic over time.

I can vouch for it in my two H's. No problems and I waste my time doing the 3 "flushes" per change but it's worth it.

quote:

Breakdown maintenance is all the maintenance these cars get short of long OCIs on cheap dino.

That would explain the poor service your company gets from your vehicles.

quote:

I know about 12 police car technicians.

I also have about 500,000 miles behind the wheel of police crown vic's?

You?

Sounds like your fleet is ran in a pis poor manner. Your fleet manager should be fired with a track record like that. The govt. fleet I am familiar with has had much different results with Ford vehicles.

The market shows you the hard evidences if you really believe in evidence as you're police officer. People vote with their own hard earned money. Ford would not be in such financial embarrassment today if they are really good.

The govt. fleet I am familiar with has had much different results with Ford vehicles.

[ August 27, 2006, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: smeltjr ]

quote:

The govt. fleet I am familiar with has had much different results with Ford vehicles.

frown.gif
Breakdown maintenance is all the maintenance these cars get short of long OCIs on cheap dino.

[ August 27, 2006, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: smeltjr ]

Ford makes some good vehicles ,and ive seen several 4.6s with 300k+ running good, but the windstar is a TERRIBLE van.

Interesting. I have an 06 Civic EX automatic and I have been noticing some peculiar stuff. Unexpected downshifts, holding high RPM's too long and an audible "crunch" when shifting from neutral to either drive or reverse when the car is moving, no matter how slowly. My driveway has a slight incline, so I usually place the car in neutral to back out to the road. Once the car is in the road it begins to slowwly, and I mean SLOWLY move forward. When I place the selector into drive.....CRUNCH! Car has 14,000 miles and is waranteed to 48,000 (dealer gimmick)so I'll wait awhile for it to blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back