So much for Honda Quality - Accord in the shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Sorry to hear you're having trouble already Buster. Our 2000 Civic has been flawless! We're approaching 100,000km now, and it has not had one single warranty claim! The only things this car has needed so far has been tires and brakes and oil changes. It's the most reliable car I've ever owned, and it was built right here in Ontario too! (in Alliston)

Gee my 1999 Cherokee has 168,000km on the clock and not one mechanical problem...brakes,tires,oil changes...but then my 85 S-10 went 16 years 389,000km with-out any mechanical problems..3 rads though...had the original clutch in it when I sold it for $500 so whats the big deal
dunno.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Gee my 1999 Cherokee has 168,000km on the clock and not one mechanical problem...brakes,tires,oil changes...but then my 85 S-10 went 16 years 389,000km with-out any mechanical problems..3 rads though...had the original clutch in it when I sold it for $500 so whats the big deal

In your case it's called LUCK!
grin.gif

If anyone tells you that a certain brand, never breaks down or never means maintenance ignore them.

-T

Update. I'm taking the car to another dealer. If they don't find it, I'm going to take it Princeton Honda and that will be it. I've noticed that while the car is in gear, it still makes the sound. It doesn't sound like it's the trans but maybe the axles.

Good luck Buster. You've definately had your share of bad luck lately. Don't lose faith in those Honda's though. Have you looked overhead to see if you have a black cloud constantly over you?

Took it to another dealer in Princeton. Service manager never heard anything like it. I think it might be a wheel bearing. He also mentioned a fly belt? I have an apt. next Thursday and they will look at it. Other then this noise, the car is great. Extremely smooth at 85mph and handles well. Very refined interior also. Good little commuter car.

Update. Princeton dealership couldn't find the problem. When cold, doesn't make the sound and if it does it's not noticable. Sound is louder when hot. I opened up the hood and turned off my car and pushed it in neutral. Sound is not comming from engine bay area.

I noticed today that when I rock the car a little bit back and forwards just by hitting the brakes, it makes the sound. I'm guessing its the differential/trans. I also dont think it's a big deal at all. So I'm not concerned about it but find it funny that no one can make out what this noise is.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

In your case it's called LUCK!
grin.gif

Not luck... we are on ZJ Grand Cherokee number 2. ZJ number 1 had a few problems: Dead tranny at 135K, new radiator at 88K due to road debris and a clogged A/C drain.

ZJ 2 - Water pump at 77K. That's it. Oh, it does have a rebuilt tranny but that could be because it sat for a year (according to the carfax). At 92K, it needs some suspension work, probably from sitting the majority of its 10 year life.

a little
offtopic.gif
but from what I hear, the new accord is plaqued with quality problems such as rattling on the highway and wind noise. the comments I have read was "build them in Japan"

Buster, this is a wild shot from a long distance, but have them check all the brake lines and fluids. It may be that something is not flowing properly at higher temps. It happened to me with an '82 Town Car. I could not get it right.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
Not luck... we are on ZJ Grand Cherokee number 2. ZJ number 1 had a few problems: Dead tranny at 135K, new radiator at 88K due to road debris and a clogged A/C drain.

ZJ 2 - Water pump at 77K. That's it. Oh, it does have a rebuilt tranny but that could be because it sat for a year (according to the carfax). At 92K, it needs some suspension work, probably from sitting the majority of its 10 year life. [/QB]

Wish I could say the same. I had a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. Fantastic motor and 0-60 in 6.8 as per Motor Trend. However, (and this is just what I can remember - there's more that I've probably forgotten) in 40000km and 1.5 years I needed a new rear axle, new front propeller shaft (front drive shaft), new universal joint on said shaft, new halfshafts both sides, one front caliper replaced (original seized while driving), new sunroof, transmission valve body replaced, DRL module 2x replaced, A/C receiver drier replaced, heated seats rewired, plus a bunch of small stuff, ranging from ashtray that wouldn't open, to oil cap that wouldn't unscrew. Luckily it was all under warranty, and the Jeep was stolen (probably by Chrysler who couldn't afford any more warranty claims hahahaha) while it was still in warranty. It was scheduled to have both cv joints replaced as well the week it was stolen.

My bet is there is nothing wrong. Check CV joints by grabbing drive shafts and checking for play. Check transaxle by pulling magnetic drain plug and looking for metallic debris.

I hope your dealership was simply blowing smoke where the sun doesn't shine in terms of pulling the CV's off a brand new car to check your vehicle.

"Buster, this is a wild shot from a long distance, but have them check all the brake lines and fluids. It may be that something is not flowing properly at higher temps."

????????????????????????????????????????????????

Buster: Is there an update?
Not trying to be a smartass, but the description of the noise sounds like gravel stuck in the treads. If you can't tell which side of the car it comes from and it happens even in neutral, it seems like the differential is the most likely source, then transmission.
Reminds me of the time my friend took his brand new (12k) 2001 Accord 4 cyl automatic to the dealer after we heard what sounded like a ball in the CV joint going unlubricated, which you could only hear at low speeds (forward or backward) while turning. It just sounded like a ball rattling around. We left it there for a day, and they said it was corrosion in the brakes, which sounded like nonsense to us. In other words, don't expect a straight answer from the dealer.
Ken: A CV joint is a type of universal joint.

Don't know if it applies to your car, but Honda has a problem with the 3rd gear in some of their transmissions. There is a TSB that addresses this issue. The solution is to install an oil jet to provide more lubricatioin to 3rd gear I believe. It is a well known issue to Honda dealers so if they haven't brought it up, then it probably doesn't apply to your car. I would ask the SM about it though.

My vote is bearing noise; wheel or internal to the transaxle. Gets louder as the oil thins with heat. Not necessarily a filure, just a noise.

I believe the noise is gone. I have not really listend for it much and just tried to ignore it. I'll check again. Their have been complaints about noises with Accords from doors to wind noises....not the biggest of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back