So Long Castrol StartUp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I don't know what it means but my WallyWorld took its stock of Castrol StartUp off the shelves sometime over the last week. I didn't see it marked down anywhere, but it's sure gone. Just giving a headsup in case this is a nationwide deal.

I also saw the same thing at GI Joes. I don't think it did all that well to begin with anyways.

While the concept of Castrol Startup is valid, most of the motor oil buying public probably had trouble understanding it.

My comment is still the same - StartUp makes more sense as an 8 oz. bottle of additive that can be poured into any crankcase with any oil.

Maybe it will resurface as a Valvoline brand product!
smile.gif

They should have marketed it under the Magnatec label and called it a syn blend, priced a littled under Syntec syn blend. It would have sold just fine that way, IMO.

quote:

I also saw the same thing at GI Joes. I don't think it did all that well to begin with anyways.

I noticed the same thing at GI Joes. The bottles were starting to collect dust last time I seen them at my local GI Joes.

I got 19 quarts 10w40 Startup for $1.40 a quart at Meijer on closeout last Nov. I called Castrol at that time and was told it is not discontinued.

I don't understand what the difference between it and syntec was. If Syntec was a mix of Group II and III then I would have made Startup/Magnatec MORE expensive.

"Perhaps"?? the difference was the amount of group III added to Start-Up was small -- also the strength of the add-pack was less to allow better lubrication at start-up.

Here in Michigan you could not give the stuff away. Every store that has it has lots of dust on it!! Castrol's synthetics and Pennsoil's synthetics also do not sell well in my area. In my area the big sellers are regular Valveoline,Castrol GTX,Rotella,Q-State. Mobil-1 is by far the most popular synthetic with M1EP selling big. Trany fluid is usualy Costal# and Valvoline Maxlife ATF #2 and the rest of them brands tieing.

Right, that's why I said "or just." The advert claim is that it contains polar molecules that bond w/ the metal in the engine, enhancing startup protection. That seems like a job for esters, not the group III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back