So I've got all this Pepboys Peak Oil now.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: peterdes
Why do you have all the peak oil to begin with? lol.

Got it for free (with rebate, of course)!!!

Pepboys even threw in some oil filters too.

I have 20 quarts + 4 Proline filters, I plan to use it in '94 LS400 with 5-6k OCI. It may not be as good as the top conventional oils, but it's SM/GF4 so it isn't too bad either.

I bought 5 qts of it, and grabbed the Proline filter, which looks like a joke next to the PL20195 cousin. Are those filters any good? I'd use it for an A-Rx treatment, but I just finished up with it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I bought 5 qts of it, and grabbed the Proline filter, which looks like a joke next to the PL20195 cousin. Are those filters any good? I'd use it for an A-Rx treatment, but I just finished up with it.

I don't have Purolator L20195 nor Pureone PL20195, but it is very obvious that Proline is pretty low quality filter and it is about 1" shorter than Bosch 3422 or Motorcraft FL400S.

But, it's free after rebate so I'm not complaining.
grin2.gif

So the proline filters not so hot then?

Since I use a cartridge filter, that would make me nervous....

I would not use Proline canister filter, for more than 7-8k miles. I don't know about Proline cartridge filter because I didn't see one yet nor I read any report about it.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
So the proline filters not so hot then?

Since I use a cartridge filter, that would make me nervous....

If looks are an indication of quality then the Pro Line filters are not so good. It is at least 1" shorter than the PL20195 my car calls for. It also seems cheaply made. I guess for a short OIC they'd be OK. I'll save it for another A-Rx treatment for now.

If it is an 1" shorter than the OE filter, I can't see how it meets your car manufacturer's specs.

If the filter is a 20195, the Pro Line version sold at PB is about 1" shorter than the PL 20195. My car calls for the same filter.

AD

If you don't like the Proline oil filter, just take both back and the manager will give you store credit.

Buy a PureOne, Motorcraft or AC Delco filter.

I think the filter is fine. It's essentially the same (though admittedly shorter) as the AAPs that have been thought of as perfectly fine 5K OCI filters. I will use mine without hesitation, just as I use AAP and Purolator filters without hesitation.

If you're worried about less filtering media, just change it out a bit sooner.

Pictures from a nice consumer filter 'study':

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/index.html

I grabbed a couple 20195s on this deal as they're a "long" 3614 for my saturns. They're priced the same and unlike the stock filter I can find mine above the axle without seriously groping.

There are those with corollas, prisms, matrixes, etc who run a tiny filter for whom the 3614 is oversize but the 3600/20195 is scary big. Possibly this midsized pep boys filter would be perfect for them!

As for the oil, of the three grades PB had, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, I bet the most R&D, nicest basestocks and additives went into the 5w30... which is what I got. More often than not the really cheap oil I run into is thicker, especially on closeout... so I have a policy of getting thin when I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back