So It's Looking Like a 2019 Subaru Forester for My New Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's decided on a new Forester to replace her well utilized and tenured 2008 Toyota RAV4 (w/ base 4 cyl). Looking at them in the Limited trim.

A Forrester limited was our absolute fave when shopping recently. unfortunately I could convince my wife that It was ok to spend that much - at least now with 2 kids in college. so we have a Jeep and the Subaru is on the wish list for the future.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
She's decided on a new Forester to replace her well utilized and tenured 2008 Toyota RAV4 (w/ base 4 cyl). Looking at them in the Limited trim.

My 2015 has been a great vehicle, even the mice like it.

We like everything about it. Unfortunately my daughter has been driving it mostly. She needs to buy her own car.

The only negative thing I can think of is the brakes seem to be more effected by conditions in the "rust belt" than other cars I have had. I would have them cleaned and lubed once a year if they dump salt on your highways like they do here.

I think 2019 is quite handsome and athletic looking. It's larger size (compared to models of years past) will appeal to many, whereas the lack of turbo model will detract from a few.

Helped my father purchase a 2019 Forester earlier this month. He opted for the base model this time. My dad previously had a 2011 and 2005 Forester Limited, putting over 150,000 miles on each. The 2011 was a bit problematic - had a check engine light early on that the dealer was not able to resolve after multiple visits. Subaru replaced the engine under warranty. He had intermittent AC problems (specifically leaks) for the remainder of ownership.

I will say that the 2019 Forester was difficult to shop for. Many of the local dealerships had $2,000 worth of add-ons including remote start, paint and fabric protection, pinstripes, door edge guards, VIN etching, etc. - and refused to budge from the overly inflated prices. With other vehicle makes, it was easier to negotiate or even just "refuse" these add-ons, but the Subaru dealers left little room to negotiate.

For those considering a new Subaru, we were able to call Subaru Customer Service and request an owner loyalty coupon worth $500 off the purchase of a new vehicle. They verified ownership based on current VIN number and e-mailed us the coupon.

It's a very nice vehicle and will serve my dad well - just more challenging to purchase than other makes including Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc.

2019s are quite nice. Cvt only now but better in pretty much any/every other way.
It was just Mt loving folks who got left out cold.
They are very good cars but plenty of strong choices in that segment.. and what some like others wont.

The main thing I would check is if the seats feel comfortable to you(and wife)

they have some air under them (8"+ ground clearance).. dont have to worry about ripping off parts of the car on those concrete parking stops for example.

With upgraded tires they will do light offroading well, anything that doesnt require low range or big tires.

Last edited:
Lots of Subaru experience here. Great vehicles with little drama. Dependable, easy to own, easy on gasoline. They don't run like a rocket ship and the CVT takes some getting used to, but gas, oil, and tires has been what we've spent on ours. Once you've driven Subaru AWD in snow/ice conditions you won't want to go to anything else. Good luck on the purchase.

Once you have a true 4 wheel drive like a Subaru, you will then realize how great it is in bad weather, be it snow or rain or just slippery roads. Ed

Sounds like a far better commuter car than the F150 you were thinking about last week! The new Foresters are getting very good reviews, she'll love it I'm sure.

I know Subura has it's following...and they are rated high in Consumer Reports as well. We bought 7 Foresters at work though, and they have been absolutely horrid. Already traded two of them off at only 30k miles with the rest on the chopping block soon, plan was to keep them till at least 100k. For what it's worth just go in eyes wide open.

I've owned a 2000 Outback, 2012 Impreza, and 2012 Outback. A CX-5 replaced the Imp. It's a way better car than the Subies, with AWD that is *better*. (I run snow/ice tires: Blizzaks, now Xice's).

You should test drive one before buying a comparable Subie.

Good pick!
Subarus are amazing in winter conditions and Foresters offer a very compliant ride along with plenty of ground clearance and decent handling.
My wife loved the '09 and loves the '17.
The '17 is noticeably quicker than the '09 and is far more economical in use.
If you can do without Eyesight, the Premium Package will give you everything you want.
Honda and Toyota give you the equivalent for free but Subaru wants a few K more for it.
I thought seriously about a new Forester for myself but settled on a less costly Accord Hybrid instead.
Another car you might consider that blows any NA Subie into the weeds in acceleration and owns any Subaru in fuel economy.

Originally Posted by bobdoo
I've owned a 2000 Outback, 2012 Impreza, and 2012 Outback. A CX-5 replaced the Imp. It's a way better car than the Subies, with AWD that is *better*. (I run snow/ice tires: Blizzaks, now Xice's).

You should test drive one before buying a comparable Subie.

With due respect to the Mazda for on-road manners, Mazda's AWD doesn't even come close to Subaru's, on any level.

Note my sig. I've owned a Forester for 10 yrs now. Bought new October 2008, had it out in midwestern snows, including a few blizzards, many times. I've driven past various competing brands of AWD more times than I can count, Mazda included. You could credit part of that to the fact that I've kept Nokian WR "four season" tires on it most of that time. A Forester is the kind of car that when the blizzard hits and accumulations start building up, you take it out in the boonies for some back road fun ... as long as you have proper tires.

But please, if you're going to promote Mazda, please stick to what Mazda excels in-- road handling in normal conditions. Not serious AWD.

Here's a few Foresters on stock all season tires running with some tanks in snow and soft mud, don't try this with a garden variety AWD system ...

I've only got about 120K miles worth of Subaru ownership experience, but it was between 3 later model Subarus. The last being my 2016 Forester base model. Just to add to the above comments, they are the most Subaru you are going to get for your dollar. My complaints across all three: Weak heating and air conditioning, Absolutely terrible factory tires in terms of winter performance and you will be lucky to get much beyond 30K miles on rear pads and rotors. The fronts tend to last a bit longer. As far as the AWD goes, there's plenty of vehicles out there with excellent AWD. They key is, not many of them will average you 30mpg+ tank/tank in this size and capability of vehicle like the Forster will.

Have to second this post.
In our experience, Subaru's AWD system is second to none in foul weather performance.
It's also durable in use and will rarely need anything beyond fluid changes.
A Forester is a pretty good value for what you get.

A good point.
The fuel economy of our '09 was always laughable but the '17 does very well and will often return 30mpg+.
A '19 with DI should do even better, although I'd just as soon not have DI myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back