So... Is high viscosity index good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Shannow
If you re talking basestocks only, then higher VI is GREAT...but that maxes out at 130-140.
If you re talking finished oils, it depends.

Given that the "grade" is determined by the KV100, then previous commentary that thinner base oils and more VII are used is true...which can then be problematic in terms of viscosity retention with shear, and potential deposits.

GrIII with VIs to give over 200VI aren't my idea on a preferable oil design.

And the Japanese appear to agree with me, as their answer was 0W20 with stratospheric VI, which sheared down rapidly (CATERHAM's testing plus a couple of papers), which when they successfully lobbied to include 16 grade, they dropped the VI and VII treat rate considerably...Ravenol's 0W16 appears almost a monograde.

ðŸ‘

Q: if we don't know anything about the lubricants VM's, does VI alone tell us anything about the lubricants noack? (on pds's noack is often omitted but VI is generally disclosed)

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

I have a 2018 Audi RS3 which is coming due for it's second oil change.

Both being 504 approved oils it may not make much difference...?

I thought of you 'Jimmy' when I was in the basement this morning and spied this array of 504 oils I have.

(I have enough of the first two oils for one change each and two changes of the PP EURO)

504 oils.jpg

Originally Posted by 21Rouge

I have a 2018 Audi RS3 which is coming due for it's second oil change.

Both being 504 approved oils it may not make much difference...?

I thought of you 'Jimmy' when I was in the basement this morning and spied this array of 504 oils I have.

(I have enough of the first two oils for one change each and two changes of the PP EURO)

lol

I would probably use the Fuchs because it was cheap but they discontinued the 5 litre jugs for some reason
crazy.gif

Blauparts is having a sale on the Ravenol VMP 20L box, which makes it about $11/L landed. I was *this* close to buying it last night but for warranty purposes I'd like to have a receipt with oil purchased just before an oil change. Maybe that's being paranoid, I don't know. So I'm still leaning pretty heavily toward the Pennzoil. There's some UOA's on here from a guy in Germany with a Saab that has like 600k on it and he was doing 20k interval with this oil (the Shell version) and the UOA's were fantastic with almost no shearing.

Found the thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...elix-ultra-0w-30-av-l-19236km-saab-b202l

Blauparts is having a sale on the Ravenol VMP 20L box, which makes it about $11/L landed.

When will Ravenol have a presence in Canada??
08.gif

but for warranty purposes I'd like to have a receipt with oil purchased just before an oil change. Maybe that's being paranoid,

It is! Many of mine proof of purchase (also saved for warranty purposes) show oil purchased over a year prior to the change...a receipt is a receipt.

There's some UOA's on here from a guy in Germany with a Saab that has like 600k on it and he was doing 20k interval with this oil (the Shell version)

This scenario wouldnt be me as I am down a quart or so at around 8k km (5k miles)(I would imagine he adds oil over that 20k).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back