So is Blackstone still the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping to get a UOA in the near future.
Is Blackstone still the best, go-to UOA lab here on BITOG? or is there a different lab I should consider? If yes, why?

Let's say cost is not a deciding factor for now.
Thanks.

I'm not sure they were every the best.

but they are certainly a popular choice.

then main thing is to go to the same place dont switch labs often as the results usually arent comparable.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Polaris is the go-to lab, IMHO.

I was thinking of trying them out what are there prices?

And why is Polaris better? (than B-stone)

(this will be the 1st UOA for this car so it doesn't matter which one I use, ALA it's a decent, accurate lab to stick with I guess)

When a lab gives you a (?) question mark instead of a value or reading for coolant level, then I would definitely look elsewhere. I have seen more than a few results like that from [censored].

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I am hoping to get a UOA in the near future.
Is Blackstone still the best, go-to UOA lab here on BITOG? or is there a different lab I should consider? If yes, why?

Let's say cost is not a deciding factor for now.
Thanks.

Dyson Analysis's "Basic" service has, by far, the most complete test suite dollar-for-dollar of any oil analysis I've ever seen.

I think any lab will give you the numbers that you're looking for. From there on, it's all about preference.

I personally like Blackstone because their report is easy to read. Other labs have me turning my laptop sideways just so i can read the data...
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
I think any lab will give you the numbers that you're looking for. From there on, it's all about preference.

I personally like Blackstone because their report is easy to read. Other labs have me turning my laptop sideways just so i can read the data...
33.gif

+1

B/S Labs matched Analysts Inc. in wear metals in a comparison sample I had tested a few years ago. Some Labs have more in depth testing.

Used a couple of the Wix test kits. I liked everything except the pokey turn around, but at $7 each on a Amazon blitz deal I'm not complaining. Nice that the TBN was included in the price.

If you buy pre-paid kits in ten packs, you get them for This is a pretty good deal, and the basic test does include TBN.
You can buy a pack of ten or two and split it with another memeber or two.
A few of us here did this.

Dyson Analysis (TestOil) is the best, hands down. I've used Blackstone and most recently Polaris quite a bit when money is an object. They have issues, but are economical.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If you buy pre-paid kits in ten packs, you get them for This is a pretty good deal, and the basic test does include TBN.
You can buy a pack of ten or two and split it with another memeber or two.
A few of us here did this.

which labs are you referring to?

I like Blacksone, and they are my personal choice, but they are not the only decent lab around; many choices.

This is not a UOA; I'm moving the thread. -MOD

I've experienced a few anomalies with Black Stone. First, I sent samples in for two different cars a couple weeks apart. They both came back extremely high for copper. I did UOAs on my next OCIs for each car and they proclaimed the copper problem cured.

Later, I sent a sample from a 6k OCI with VWB and the TBN came back at 9.8. That's higher than virgin VWB!

For my most recent UOA I tried Polaris. First, I found the form incredibly difficult to fill out, I didn't understand some of the questions. Second, I felt like their service was much slower that Black Stone. Third, I felt like their report was difficult to understand.

So, issues aside, I'm still leaning toward going back to Black Stone unless someone has another good suggestion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
is there a different lab I should consider?.............Let's say cost is not a deciding factor for now.
Thanks.

Dyson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back