So if you dont like changing oil at least a little bit why are you here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't enjoy changing oil as much as I used to, and now that I live in an apartment it has just become an even bigger hassle. For now, I can still change my Corvette's oil at my dad's house, I stored my ramps and tools there for now, but he's moving out west next month so I'm going to need to find a new plan (possibly seeing if I can change the oil at my storage unit, early in the morning when nobody is around to snitch on me) For my Civic I tried changing it's oil when I first got it but one of the bolts on the skid plate wouldn't come off so I went to a fast lube place for that and will probably continue to do so.

So to really answer the question, the physical act of changing oil or not changing oil doesn't mean someone isn't interested in learning about all of the different oils out there and having technical discussions. Even if I end up not doing oil changes myself on my Corvette in the future that doesn't mean I will lose interest in this site, I've been here since day one (and before day one actually, I was around for a couple of years before this version of the forum existed) BTW, even when I did enjoy changing oil more than I do now, I still didn't like the idea of draining perfectly good oil at 3k when I know it could go way longer.

Extended OCIs have their place, as well as more abbreviated intervals. Regardless, enjoying the act of changing oil isn't a qualifying factor to enjoy browsing and engaging on this board. Frankly, I don't enjoy changing the oil in either of my cars when it's 100+ degrees here as it can be in the summer and early part of fall. I do enjoy performing an oil change, as well as many other outdoor activities, when it's late fall through spring and barely hits 70 degrees many days. Should I only visit the board during those months? This board offers a lot of insight and knowledge (mixed among a lot of, I guess we'll call it speculation or supposition) that doesn't just pertain to changing oil, but fluids of all kinds as well as a variety of topics both automotive related and non-auto related. It's perfectly acceptable for people to enjoy different aspects of what this site has to offer and nowhere in the Standard of Conduct does it state that you have to enjoy doing manual labor to your car to participate.

....but I don’t crawl as well as I used to. ;)
Going down isn't so bad but once down getting around and then up is not so easy, just found out a few weeks ago I have a torn meniscus in my right knee but for years I've been using a kneeling pad when ever I have to get on my knees. After going thru several I found a nice one in case any of you older gents are interested.

Last edited:
Going down isn't so bad but once down getting around and then up is not so easy, just found out a few weeks ago I have a torn meniscus in my right knee but for years I've been using a kneeling pad when ever I have to get on my knees. After going thru several I found a nice one in case any of you older gents is interested.

Yes, they are a lifesaver for older knees Got a slightly smaller version similar to yours.

I'll do 50 or so changes today. I am not thrilled by it.
I'm here to educate myself by listening to the intelligent posters
who explain the complexities on motor oils.
Oh and for the political banter.

5,000 max is my limit. 3,000 in everything but the 2017 Camry which gets 5,000. Do I enjoy changing oil? Not really it’s ok but nothing I’d want to do all the time. I’m a few years into this career to the point where I love doing the advanced stuff and that’s all I want to do. Like diagnose and replace actual parts and troubleshoot. Now I don’t complain if I have to do an oil change because it’s doing something I love and that’s working on cars and it puts money in my pocket. I will say oil changes is better than doing tires nothing more boring than doing tires and it’s hard too. Now let’s just hope I find a job that I don’t have to do tires I’m thinking of trying for another dealership hopefully.

I changesd my oil on May 2dn and already have 3 k on this change. I have. I have intention on doing An oil change every 2 months. the More distance I drive the more attractive those 10 k recommended intervals become. And using that extended use filter for the full 20 k becomes less of a worry.
I do need to to the driveline funds and check the torque on my drive line components (I saw the second Tacoma this year today on the side of the road with a dropped Driveshaft. plenty Of engie s humming along until the drive shaft drops on regular dealer service 10k service and the service techs never torquing anything As scheduled.

I'd be open to extended OCI only if I drove enough miles that I could still do 1-2 oil changes a year on the vehicle. In other words, if I drove 20k miles a year, I wouldn't be doing 4 5k oil changes, I'd be fairly comfortable with 2x 10k and totally comfortable with 3x 6.7k.

I like the thraputic comment; I also like the idea of doing it correctly because it is my car so I care about it.
I really like my cars to run well every stinkin' day and to last a loooong time.
Case in point: I service 3 Acura TSXs. We bought wifey's 2006 in Dec 2006; it has 205K and has been serviced with M1 since day 1 at 3K to 5K OCIs.
There is zero reason to check the oil between services.
The 2nd is a 2007 bought new by my sister; it was serviced by quickie lubes by the mileage meter. Semi syn I believe. It just hit 100K and needs about 1 quart make up between 5k services.
The 3rd is another 2007 with about 140K; it was dealer serviced. It also eats a quart between services.

And I would drive our TSX to NY right now without checking a thing.

My Acura & Jetta in signature get 5000 mile oil change intervals and use a Fram Ultra 3X before replacing. Subaru & Ram in signature get 4000 mile oil changes -- 66% short tripped and use a Fram Ultra also 3X. Been doing this procedure for years and will continue.... Peace of Mind!!! ;)

Ps. Currently have a ST 10,000 mile oil rated filter on my Baja. Will use that 2X. Hard to beat for the price and Made in the USA!!!!

I actually like changing oil. It’s therapeutic to me. So I do tend to change oil every 5k miles typically depending on what vehicle.

if I’m towing my tractor or RV a bunch in the summer I will change sooner regardless of what the OLM says or what oil is in the sump. Also. I’ve known to change oil based on future travel. For example I had 1500 miles on the oil in my Tundra and went on ahead and changed it because I was going to tow my RV from Georgia to Minnesota and back.

I also changed the oil in my Silverado when I had 87% on the OLM because I was going to tow a Uhaul for my daughter from GA to Las Vegas. Then my wife and I spent 2 more weeks driving around Tahoe, San Francisco, and Up to Seattle before coming home. The OLM still read 29% when we got back but I still changed it again anyway.

I do see how some people might not like to change oil but still will show up on the site…hence why we get so many new members with the “what’s the best 0w20?” thread

Last edited:
I absolutely love changing the oil in my current vehicles. All 3 are very easy. I hear friends and acquaintances complain about paying close to $100, and sometimes more, for a synthetic oil change. They usually can't even tell me what brand they got. I guess I'm just weird, but I can't do that.

My OCI usually goes by time rather than mileage nowadays. I changed the head gasket on a 1996 Civic I owned a few years ago. My father-in-law watched me, and he couldn't believe how clean that D16y8 was under the valve cover. 220k miles and still looked great. Back then I used Castrol GTX white bottle in it.

Spring and Fall it’s great … winter I can pick a good day.
Texas summer ? Drag out a fan and just deal with it 🤨

5,000 max is my limit. 3,000 in everything but the 2017 Camry which gets 5,000. Do I enjoy changing oil? Not really it’s ok but nothing I’d want to do all the time. I’m a few years into this career to the point where I love doing the advanced stuff and that’s all I want to do. Like diagnose and replace actual parts and troubleshoot. Now I don’t complain if I have to do an oil change because it’s doing something I love and that’s working on cars and it puts money in my pocket. I will say oil changes is better than doing tires nothing more boring than doing tires and it’s hard too. Now let’s just hope I find a job that I don’t have to do tires I’m thinking of trying for another dealership hopefully.
Well, at my work we have “maintenance technicians” that start out at $18.55/hour. They do mostly oil changes, state inspections and tire repairs etc😁😁

I like changing oil only because I usually don’t get to work on cars much, which I like to do. Plus I inspect stuff.

My van gets a 6000 OCI, which is below the OLI, but above my desired 5000 miles, which I extended after spending time here. I’m on month 6 on a change now and almost to 6000 miles. It’s also our “nice” car, having only 88k miles on it.

My Camry will get its first change by me around 4000 miles due to it having the trade in dealer fill in it now, and that will even up the miles to 230k. I’ll probably run 7500 miles or once a year on it due to the 22 miles per day it gets on my commute to work out in the country. It’s a commuter beater, and nothing more, though I don’t let maintenance slide, even on beaters.

My daughters Bug will be once a year, as miles will be low, but harsh due to shorter trips.

The Jeep is once per year and I may be rebuilding the engine next year if my annual bonus is good. 251k miles on the 2.5l, and idle oil pressure is just under the 10 mark on my mechanical gauge

I've not changed my oil since I moved from my house to a retirement apartment. I suppose if I really worked at it, I could find a way to crawl under the car in the parking lot, but it's not really worth it for the inconvenience and the pain that goes along with aging. So I use a trusted independent shop, they use my oil and filter while I sit in their waiting room, read an interesting magazine or two, and sometimes talk with another customer.

The shop is less than five minutes from my apartment, and I get there when they open. They take care of me right away, and I'm usually out of there in 30-minutes. Considering the time needed to do the work myself, this is a lot quicker plus it's a lot more comfortable. However, I still miss doing the work myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back