So if you dont like changing oil at least a little bit why are you here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant help my self 3000- 5000 mile max is all I can go after that I feel bad about it even on my 7.3 diesel 15w40 convention in that. Good syn. in everything else not allways the best Amsoil XL or Mobil one, but it would be be a real waste for say amsoil ss good for 25000. Oil is the most easy maintenance to do and maybe the most important. I like it clean and full. I remember in the 80s amsoil did the 25000 thing just change the filter more often I new a few that where doing that didn't work out so great your under there drop that dirty oil. I can see oil analyst on big truck marine engines they 10-20 gals or more of oil change when needed $$$. So you have a engine with 4 oil changes in 100,000 miles doesnt make much sense for 5-6 qts, of oil. Just a note may be a good idea to look over a car for problems before every 25000 miles. I was a mechanic for over 35 years and draining dirty oil always gave me at least a little feeling of doing something good for the car its easy dont forget the few grease fittings out there is not many out there any more but on the bigger stuff. I was board just my 2 cents
I change my coolant every 2 oil changes, its HORRIBLE, rust , rust, and rust.

5K or 6 mos is my limit, not a fan of extended oil changes and multi oil changes on one filter, fresh oil, fresh filter. ;)
hmm.. still in guarantee (going to dealership), need to stay "stealth".
therefore i pump old oil through dipstick tube, and put new.
i read some info about oil filters, they do not filter much dirt below 30µ ...that´s why is best to put new oil.
(dealership visits each year , 14000km)

I like the thraputic comment; I also like the idea of doing it correctly because it is my car so I care about it.
I really like my cars to run well every stinkin' day and to last a loooong time.
Case in point: I service 3 Acura TSXs. We bought wifey's 2006 in Dec 2006; it has 205K and has been serviced with M1 since day 1 at 3K to 5K OCIs.
There is zero reason to check the oil between services.
The 2nd is a 2007 bought new by my sister; it was serviced by quickie lubes by the mileage meter. Semi syn I believe. It just hit 100K and needs about 1 quart make up between 5k services.
The 3rd is another 2007 with about 140K; it was dealer serviced. It also eats a quart between services.

And I would drive our TSX to NY right now without checking a thing.
Exactly

i do a lot of higher speed cruising with almost no idle time since i don't like the drive thru or live in the city and do 10k intervals with a quart overfill on my trucks since i do almost 3 a year.

I don't like changing oil but i don't despise it. I just don't see pleasure in it. I do see the pleasure in picking what to put in next, saving a lot of money and knowing it's done well. That's the pleasurable part for me.

I change my coolant every 2 oil changes, its HORRIBLE, rust , rust, and rust.
Have you tried prestones anti rust additive and do you do flushes since those do help in reducing future rust.

I use it in an iron block 4g64 mitsubishi mighty max i own in mexico. Coolant doesn't rust as fast. I buy that over there in mexico since iron blocks are more common so its readily available and cheaper but over here you gotta order it in some cases and pay a bit too much.

It's a sickness, what can I say. My truck makes it easy, no jack needed. I usually look around and inspect stuff while the oil drains. I have heard so many horror stories about over-tightened drain bolts and I like knowing the oil filter is on just right. I would rather do the job myself.

Is that a serious question? This board helps you touch ALL YOUR EMOTIONS! Also-for us anti Kool-Aid drinkers, it a great place to interact with (most) of those on here that do drink it.

The oil gets changed on my Silverado by OLM indication.

I change my oil in the T&C and my Ram when the EVIC says so. In the Jeep it’s every 5,000 miles. I change the filter every time because that’s how I’ve always done it.

I don’t mind working on my vehicles. I seldom take them to a garage.

Just my $0.02

I enjoy working on vehicles as a hobby.
Nothing major like engine swaps and rebuilds and such, but maintenance and basic repairs are actually enjoyable, even I get frustrated every once in a while. Feels good to finish a repair and know you did it yourself, sometimes saving money, sometimes not.

Having a "fleet" of vehicles has helped me to extend my drain intervals on some of my vehicles. It gets the oil change itch out of my system.
Most of my vehicles are 5,000 miles or 1 year.
My truck rarely gets driven, Some short distance, but some longer driving as well. I have put 3300 miles in past 17 months, using synthetic oil, and 3 qts of make up oil (out of 6 capacity). I am thinking of changing it when it hits 3500 miles (maybe next month), and when I do, using a Fram Ultra and some synthetic Castrol Magnatec 5w-20 and run that till I have done 6 top offs (I have 12 qts of the Magnatec, so why not).
My recently purchased '04 Sonata is 19 months since it's last oil change, but less than 500 miles on it. Oil looks brand new on the stick. No reason to change it now. It will eventually be an annual oil change once I do change it (and no idea when that will be).
Brother in laws truck has 2,500 miles in 15 months. Mostly sits, except for occasional longer trips. Will probably change that at 18 months.

On the other end of the spectrum is my mom's Kia, that gets an oil change every 6 months for warranty, sometimes as little as 2,000 miles.
Have been tempted to use the drained oil as top up oil on the truck (and have done that in the past).

Hank Hill regarding his new truck: "I will change the oil every 3000 miles or when I am bored."
That's me. Sometimes it's 5k mi, sometimes it's 7.5k mi. I do however change it a week before a long road trip.

On my gf's '19 Civic 1.5 Turbonium, once the OLM reaches 50%, I'll get ready to do it soon as it sees lots of short trips & maybe 1 fwy venture/week.

*Not sure which I like better : Watching trashed , black , fuel diluted GDI engine oil drain out - OR refilling with a new synthetic D1 / Gen 2 SN+ / SP rated oil from my stash ?!

*Not sure which I like better : Watching trashed , black , fuel diluted GDI engine oil drain out - OR refilling with a new synthetic D1 / Gen 2 SN+ / SP rated oil from my stash ?!
My Cruze turns oil black so fast, I can see why people get alarmed about the color. When it gets about 1000mi its pretty dark already.

Annually on all my cars. That's roughly 6500-7500 mls on both the Mini and
the VW (and half the OLM suggested interval) and much less on the Porsche.
The latter gets fresh oil before winter, the other ones get it after winter due to
dilution happening during the colder season. I'm using a lift for all my changes
as I don't like travailing under the car.
However I don't think 10kmls OCIs would be any issue if I'd just drive more mls.

I'm going to be 69 next month. And I've been changing my own oil since I was 16 and first started driving. It's just something I've always wanted to do myself. More so when I started earning money and buying new cars. I don't like dirty oil, or stripped drain plugs. So for me, the easiest way to avoid both was to do it myself.

I can purchase the exact brand and weight of oil I want. Usually on sale somewhere. (I'm ALWAYS looking for deals on oil and filters). And do so well in advance, so I have it on hand when I need it. At my age I still do oil and filter in all 3 of my vehicles in a morning. Start at Sunup, and have everything finished by 10:00 AM. Shower, get dressed, and head to AutoZone to dump the dirty oil....... Twice a year, regardless of mileage.

I enjoy doing mine. Wife drives the Subaru back and forth to work and very few other places so it gets pretty low annual mileage. We drive the F-150 pretty much any time we all go places together so it sees more mileage but still pretty low. My routine so far is to do oil changes in April and October. It falls well within the recommended mileage and the weather is nicest at those times too. I'm not convinced that it saves me any money but I do have the peace of mind that it's done properly and carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back