So I have been running DELO 400 in my BMW..

Status
Not open for further replies.
In these past few months, I took the BITOG advice and ran DELO 400 in my 535i.

My gas mileage went down a bit, but after my engine got used to it, things went to normal. Now my engine is quieter and happy. Therefore, I am happy.

My question is, how long should I keep it in? I currently have about 3k on this oil.. I was thinking 7500?

Thoughts, please.

From what I have read on here people seem pretty happy with 5k mi. OCI with Delo 400 under normal conditions. I'm running that in our 318ti and plan on changing 4-5k miles but I'm rather spirited driver so I don't want to run it 7k+ mi. as if it were a synthetic.

Hi. Is this the Delo400 15W40 mineral oil? If yes, would the high Zinc be a cause for concern for the catalytic convertor?

Yes, this is the HDEO oil.

In my opinion, engines aren't as cheap as cats... but then again, I don't need to worry about smog in the first place.

Anyway, 5k it is? I thought with it's add pack I could run it longer than that. I am a sprited driver myself, so I guess that could be expected.

IMHO the only way to know what you are doing is to run the UOA and get the TBN or TAN. It seems that otherwise you are just guessing at what the OCI should be. You could be changing either too early or too late and you really wouldn't know, or so it seems to me.

Have you checked the UOA board to see how others with this combination are fairing? That might help some regarding your plan. John

When you say you don't have to worry about smog, I take it you really mean your local Motor vehicle requirement aren't subject to exhaust emissions testing? Surely you don't mean you don't care about increasing the pollution of the atmosphere more than your car normally would contribute....right?

I know that in a global market things can get a little confusing, but when did DELO 400 become a Euro/Import oil?

SOme of the best E30 BMW UOAs Ive seen have been done using delo 15w-40... I wouldnt be concerned with going 7500 miles on it!

Your car surely has some sort of maintenance indicator... if it works, Id go by it. Delo is shear stable, and so long as the engine gets full hot (15+ miles) a few times a week, I see no problem!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by Tourist:
Hi. Is this the Delo400 15W40 mineral oil? If yes, would the high Zinc be a cause for concern for the catalytic convertor?

probably not diesel engines have cats and where is the problem? The company I worked 17 years for used Delo in everything. Ford vans with over 200,000 miles passed smog

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
I know that in a global market things can get a little confusing, but when did DELO 400 become a Euro/Import oil?

What is a Euro/Import oil? Heck Delo is a world oil.

15w-40 has always been a euro oil.

Check manuals from today all the way back.

15w-40 15w-50 and 20w-50 have alwyas been popular. 5w-40 is the new winner, with 0w-40 and 0w-30 coming to be used more and more.

JMH

ZD,

I have had extremely good results with the Amsoil Series 2000, 20w-50 in these older BMW's, Audis and Mercedes. You'll see a noticable improvement in performance and fuel efficiency, cooler oil temps and much less oil consumption.

You can run the Amsoil 20w-50 year round in SF and service intervals of 10k-12k are easily achievable.

TS

thank you tooslick!

One of my friends just became a dealer, and I was thinking running European 5w-40 with an AMSOIL filter.

Then I was going to run a UOA at 10k to see how far i can go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back