So I goes out to change my oil yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ALWAYS wipe clean the oil filter seating surface. Doing that it is IMPOSSIBLE not to notice a gasket stuck to it.
I'm not into screwing a new filter onto a dirty surface. It is really bad practice to not clean the seating surface, especially if you use different brands of filters that vary the gasket diameter. Putting a filter on with a slightly larger gasket than the old one can expose lots of dirt to the oil
shocked2.gif

Welcome to the boards, and congrats on the van! I started to hate dealership oil changes myself, because only a select few get it right. You would think, being an "authorised" dealer and all, they would torque things to manufacturer's specs.

Having said that, the thread on my oil pan was messed up because the dolts screwed it in improperly and forced it with a power tool. I kept having problems with oil leaking from the drain plug because of this. And they never took responsibility for it either. Had to remove the oil pan and take it to a shop to restore for me. A new one was $340!

asamek,

I feel for ya'. Something as simple as an oil change and a mechanic has gotta' screw it up. Happens to me every time. I try to keep the 'mechanics' as far away from my vehicles as possible.

I had a fuel pump go out on a 1997 Chevy Tahoe at 125K miles as expected. It's in the tank and I let the dealer do it. I researched it and knew the plug on the replacement pumps had a melting problem. Stupid me...I tell this to service manager.

Guess what...awhile later the pump stops and it had to be replaced again.

Same vehicle, a 'mechanic' replaced pitman arm... forgot to tighten tie-rod ends after removal....no wonder steering was wobbling...duh.

I can say a dealer did get the intake manifold re-gasket right. It's nontrivial with silicon dams and 'stretched' bolts requiring a two step torque.

I did all the rest in 100K+ miles I owned it. But I know..should be simple, just oil change...

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I love my Fumoto valve. Makes draining easy. However, I did forgot to close it one time. That was the day I put about $20 of Auto-RX in my car, but it only stayed in a few seconds.
crazy2.gif

Stick around here and you never want anyone to change your oil again. Pretty soon you will be stockpiling oil, then you know you have the BITOG bug.

My Saturn burns a 1/2 of quart in short order. I had to laugh about being compelled to top off your oil. I have to do it every week.

LOL I'm kinda the same (My Saturn is not that bad) :)

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes, fellas!

You can rest assured that never again will there be a double gasket issue on one of my vehicles! I was so purely aggravated with the 2-bit goobers who did the previous service that I lost track!

Live and learn, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back