So I goes out to change my oil yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy everyone - been reading here a while, but this is my first post in this very informative and entertaining forum!

Anyway, back in mid June, I bought the used van in my signature from a local dealer. It had 41,700 miles, and the oil was fresh and new. In fact, by the time I hit the 44,700 on my window sticker, the oil still wasn't particularly dirty. But I decided to go ahead and change it anyway (I'm guessing y'all understand!)

Having read up some around here, I chose Motorcraft 5w-20 blend ($11.50/ 5 qt jug at Wally World), and Mopar filter, and will run it to an OCI of 5k. I chose the blend oil because this motor seems to run a little warmer than I expected (204).

So yesterday morning, I headed out to the carport ready to get to work. I crawls down underneath with my ratchet, and discovers that the dealer, who did the last oil change, had evidently put the oil pan drain plug on with an impact wrench. No matter what I tried, all my tools would do was round the edges of the bolt (it was 13 mm). Why, oh why, do those morons torque things down so hard?

So it's off to the Advance store for a gripper socket and a replacement drain plug.

Back home, with the help of the gripper and a ball-peen hammer, the plug comes out and things proceed. Oh - the dealer seems to have used the same impact wrench to put on the filter. Aggravated as I was, I didn't notice the rubber seal remained stuck to the filter mount as I applied the new filter. You can guess what happened when I started it up to check for leaks.

After cleaning up and re-re-attaching the filter, things were finally as they should be - except for the missing half quart of oil in the sump. All I had was a bottle of GTX 5w-30, so that's what went in to top it off. I hope that won't be an issue - someone pipe up, please, if you think it will.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Hey bud, welcome aboard.

This place is great, with a lot of good folks on here.

Good catch on the filter o ring. Another reason why its good to "do it yourself"! The drain plug thing, is one of the many reasons why I like to do my own changes. We have a mechanic that we go to the ODD time for anything I cant handle in the garage. He is terrific, but I even catch him using 4.5 litres instead of 4.3 in my wifes car, and having the oil a good bit over the fill line. Probably not a big deal, but I like it right on the dot, according to the micrometer I use to check it afterwards...LOL.

as for topping it off with the GTX, most on here will say mix away! I've never heard of any compatibility issues, 5 K seems like a good bet!
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
LOL. No issue at all. If you do enough oil changes, you eventually get distracted on one and wind up with a double gasket. Better to find out on your carport than your wife to notice (or perhaps not notice) the oily pool oozing out from under the car at the supermarket.
33.gif

Sounds like a bummer. One of my last oil changes was after the dealer and the bolt was a pita to get off. I too had tap the ratchet with a hammer. Using an impact wrench is just wrong. I also left the gasket once, now I always clean/check the gasket area on engine after removal.

GTX will be fine and won't hurt a thing. But, on a fresh oil change with MC 5w20 it does kind of ruin your fung schway.
LOL.gif

welcome2.gif

Dealers and oil chain places probably use impacts to lessen liability on their part and keep customers coming back to them for oil changes.

On the bright side it sounds like the oil pan threads survived which is great.

Also good that you caught the filter gasket early. I've have that happen on occasion and I always change my own oil. I always check by looking at the filter that comes off and carefully cleaning/inspecting the filter mount flange with a paper wipe.

I wouldn't worry about mixing GTX with Motorcraft. We have an old beater 1991 Toyota Camry AllTrac (my mother bought it new and retired it last year with 70K miles on it so we kept it as a beater) and when I change the oil I use all the left overs.

The last oil change I did had 1 quart of Spectrum 5w30, 1/2 quart of Mobil 1 0W20, 1 quart of Castrol GTX 10W40, 1/2 quart of Texaco 5W30, 1/2 quart of Trop Artic 10W30 blend, 1/2 quart of Chevron 5W30 and 1/2 quart of Mobil 1 0W40. Used a new Nippondenso oil filter. That was 5K miles ago and all is good. I use up the oil I want to get rid of on this car (or other beaters) all the time and I've never had a problem. The top end is clean with no deposits.

I wouldn't recommend this on a car that you care about but the beaters are my personal oil disposal cars. I've even put used oil in beaters in the past. I used to drain Mobi1 1 out of my 16V GTI (many years ago) and my brother-in-law would run the used oil in his Subaru Wagon (he sold that with 200K miles, still running like a top).

Don't worry about mixing the oil.

I love my Fumoto valve. Makes draining easy. However, I did forgot to close it one time. That was the day I put about $20 of Auto-RX in my car, but it only stayed in a few seconds.
crazy2.gif

Stick around here and you never want anyone to change your oil again. Pretty soon you will be stockpiling oil, then you know you have the BITOG bug.

My Saturn burns a 1/2 of quart in short order. I had to laugh about being compelled to top off your oil. I have to do it every week.

Sorry to hear about that! It sounds like when the dealership did an oil change on my mom's car after doing some warranty engine work. They put the drain plug on so tight I had to use a pipe wrench to get it off (destroying it in the process) and had to buy a new one.

A pipe wrench!!

Dadgummit! I could have saved myself $25 and a trip to the store if I'd have just thought of that.

Curses!
21.gif

Every car I have changed the oil in after it was done at an oil change shop previously has had an extremely overtightened drain plug. I think shops overtighten them to be sure they won't leak on the customer, not a real solution IMHO. I also definitely agree with the after you do a double gasket once you'll never do another. My mom's 97 F150 4.6 always pulls the gasket off the old filter and I wasn't in the habit before to make sure the old gasket came off with the filter and sure enough, when it started up it was spraying oil all over the ground. Will never make that mistake again on any car.
48.gif

A pipe wrench!!

Dadgummit! I could have saved myself $25 and a trip to the store if I'd have just thought of that.

Curses!

I've used vice grips before. I'll bet you have those in 3 sizes! LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back