so i go to the chevy dealer for "free" oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
time for free change of the oil in the 2006 malibu... This car has 14000 miles on it and i bought it with 11000. The Quick lube tries to sell me an oil cleaning by telling me my engine is all sludged up.. after declining that it is on to a fuel system cleaner because my intakes are all carboned up and my sensors will fail... I kindly explained that if the sensors failed it was covered for 50,000 miles so i wasnt to worried. then it was on to trying to sell me a better grade of oil than the bulk mobil 5/30 by telling me the base oil was shot at 3000 miles and the oil monitor was calibrated to use a semi synthetic and anything less would render the oil monitor ussless. After almost srguing about that they finially wanted to charge me 3 dollars more for the ac delco oil filter instead of the quaker state filter... Even though the change ended up free... I was so put off by the experience i will pay for the next change someplace else.

That's not cool
This person had the knowledge to outsmart the dealers, most women don't.

Good Job
thumbsup.gif

yeah but they tried everything in the book, my mom just went into her tire installer to get her tires rotsted/balanced with their lifetime balancing deal. the guy asked her why she wanted a balance and she told them that there was a slight shimmey in the steering wheel at 65-70 on the freeway. they guy tried to sell her an alignment and shocks saying that the shimmey/vibration would only be felt at 35 miles per hour or less. good thing she smelt a snake in the weeds, came back home and called me about it.

This person is a Quality Engineer. And from the sounds of their post I would say the dealer sent them to a quick lube joint not the dealer doing it. But still..... gads

Ken

I don't call them Stealerships for nothing...
smirk.gif
nono.gif

Thats why so far, my 2000 Chevy truck, my 05 Corolla and 07 Outback have not seen a stealership since I drove them off the lot. (they have not needed any service)
banana.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

I've worked at several dealerships in my 30+ years in the auto business. Only one tried that kind of bogus upsell, and I didn't stay their long.

It's one thing to recommend more frequent maintenance, but that was a total scam. I would never go back there for anything. Feel free to provide the name of the business for everyone!

I agree, what dealership was this? I know of a few Chevy dealers here in Michigan that are as shady/worthless as they come. Wonder if it's one that I'm thinking of.

If you think that is bad you should see the stuff that is done to "UP's" on the maintnece side interms of sales staff.No matter what you drove intot he service area in I could gurantee you that our used car manager needed it! I could almost gurantee that I had another customer looking for that exact same year Make and Model etc......

Lol No i am not a female... TFA... The dealer was Williams Chevrolet in Traverse City Mi. It was saturday so the salesman wrote me a coupon to go through the on site quick lube instead of the Service department. I would hate to have taken my other car with 170,000 miles on it through there.. I would have needed a new engine.

Good gawd. Yeah next time just leave your credit card, ask for "the works" and go off for some dry health food. 'cause when you get back they'll have you all buttered up and leaning over the counter in short order time......

Ahhh dealerships.

I am sure other VW owners will be able to relate and tell their own stories, but I decided not to take my car to a dealership anymore if I can. And I will go through some pains before taking it in.

Timing belt change at local dealership $1500. WIll be doing it on my own for $270 and plan on investing 2 days. I am sure it will take me at least 6 hours, but $1500 is more than most peoples paycheck, so 2 days doesnt seem bad.

Fuel filter change $125. Did it in 30 minutes, very slowly, and paid $8.

It is crazy what some dealerships charge.

Before I became an avid BITOG reader I went for my oil change and they charged me $70 for synthetic, which in my opinion is about reasonable.

Next time I went back, 3 months later, they wanted $100. I showed them the last invoice for $70 and told them I would get it done if they would charge me the same price, and the guy said no. I checked what the difference was and they were charging $13 a quart for Syntec 5w-40.

The service manager was at least nice enough to offer to change the oil for $20 if I brought my own. AT that time I was already ticked off and just ended up doing my own, which is the better way anyways.

I have plenty more from VW dealerships in NJ as well so it is not an isolated experience.

Best thing is to be informed, but 8/10 people are not.

My dealership had a basically unwritten rule of ABSOLUTELY NO, Zero ZIP NADA upselling on the first FREE visit unless a safety item comes up. Heck, most of the time we eat those.

What are we doing wrong?!?!?! LOL

Heck and to push the point of getting them out quick we get paid less on the Freebies over a standard visit.

Ha I used to work at a cadillac dealer, on the northstar V8's they use to alway around 60k miles get an oil leak wich is really no biggie if you are watching your oil level anyhow.
But we used to sell this repair to old folk left and right no problem and its a 3 thousand dollar repair.
Or when we did the buy one oil change get one free it was always just for the upsales. We pushed up sales hard.
My buddy worked with me he was a sales person he was telling me one day he sold the 05 and made a ton of money on it I asked him how? He said he took out the sign that said 1500$ off since it was end of 06 and they paid for it full price like an 06.
Dealerships are bad from my experience especially if your uninformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back