So how do you guys do it?

Pew

I've always wondered how people cope with different [big] stressors in their life and emerge out of it. Death of a close one, loss of a relationship or job, the darkest part of your life...etc. How do you guys push through the bad spots in your life?

I tend to cope with the bad spots in life by just forgetting about them. Whether or not my coping method is the best, it works for me.

I have a jeep that gets the living daylights beat out of it in the woods. I also get some solace out of listening to music.

Alcohol is a social thing for me. Not for celebration or bad times. And even then, I'll only have one or two beers at most. Don't like being drunk or even buzzed.

I feel that maturity plays a big roll in how people cope with affliction. From the moment we're born we begin the countdown to death. On that road are numerous events that add up to what we call life. From the loss of our pet goldfish to the family dog and on up the line we are growing in knowledge of the simple fact that NOTHING last forever.

Learn to appreciate what you have when you have it. Learn to cherish relationships for as long as they last and above all, be thankful for all that you have. The path of death is one that every creature walks alone. Don't waste the precious and finite minutes of our time on earth being angry or harboring hatred and revenge. The broken heart never truly mends but it has an infinite capacity for love. Tap into that and live your life in peace.

One thing I have realized in my 48 years of life. Whatever the issue is, no matter how hard, face it, hit it in the mouth and just do the best you can. Pushing it off leads you down a negative road and keeps you always wondering when the hammer will drop. Confront whatever it is and take that hammer and minimize it.

So many of us, me included, expect heavy issues to be simple fixes. They are not. Incremental changes daily build up over time and keep you on the goal orientated path. Set a reasonable goal, and move daily to make each day better then the last. That is how you build your brain and set yourself up for success.

Wanted to add: as crummy as an issue may be, find a small item you are greatful for and build off that greatfulness. I don't believe in happiness, I believe in joy and greatfulness. All things build off that. Happy is a limited state we often seek that is much like a drug. Leaves you wanting more and more. Greatful and joy keep you at peace in your soul.

I've always wondered how people cope with different [big] stressors in their life and emerge out of it. Death of a close one, loss of a relationship or job, the darkest part of your life...etc. How do you guys push through the bad spots in your life?

I tend to cope with the bad spots in life by just forgetting about them. Whether or not my coping method is the best, it works for me.
"Everything that has happened, is happening and will happen is all for a reason". Whether we know what such reasons are is up to us through the allocation of our collective life experiences.

Death? Inevitable. It is something that we as humans overlook due to arrogance and ignorance. When we lose a loved one it comes as a total shock. I lost my father when I was 19, this coming Sunday will make it 11 years, he had a cardiac arrest while we were playing hockey. When someone dies it never is easy because of all of the connections we establish with them and the impact they have left on us. Not seeing someone physically is hard and it it the part we miss the most. If you keep loved ones in your mind and heart, they'll never die, the soul is eternal the body never was.

Talk to your loved ones if you miss someone that has passed, holding it in is not thee right thing to do and you may lash out on those around you whom you also love.

Bad times? Those are apart of life. Show me someone who has lived a live without hardships. Buddha, Krishna and Christ, even though they hold divine status were all given hardships and were tested by the world itself. We are humans, we directly and indirectly cause one another pain but we also give love, respect and kindness as well. I call hardships "temporary inconveniences" because they are not forever and if they exist then naturally there is a solution to them other wise they would not exist to begin with. Nothing in this life is forever, that's why you should cherish your loved ones and tell them you love them and appreciate them.

Loss of a job? Relationship ending? Loss of a friend or prized position? This is just God/The Universe telling us everything in life is temporary and nothing is forever and that we are only human in the grand scheme of things. Again love an appreciate those around while they are present. Let those stupid arguments slide and let your ego know that it's only as big as it thinks it is. To the world you're just somebody but to somebody you're the world!

Sadness and happiness are two different sides of the same coin brother. Happiness is a state of mind that YOU choose, when yoou relaize that no one can take it away from you no matter how hard they try. Do not avoid memories of hardships, you never forget anything, you can't bury something that isn't dead. Let it make you stronger, let it remind you that you are human and that you loved and were attached and there's nothing wrong with that.

No amount of regret can change the past and no amount of anxiety can change the future. You don't have to be religious to live in peace, everyone is different. Instead of doing more damage to yourself when you are sad etc, such as drinking, smoking and so forth, go to the gym, volunteer at a charity of your place, contribute to forums, give back to the world around you. Forgetting is for the arrogant and ignorant. Don't let terrible moments define you or break you, no, let them help build you into something more great.

The beauty of us humans is that we persevere through all hardships! Don't be a slave to your mind and sit in despair, there's no time like the present my friend! Enjoy this life and make the most of every second, don't waste it lamenting over things and people you cannot control. You are your worst enemy and your own best friend. You can't control the winds but you sure can set the sails.

Stress? Don't stress over things you can't change. Don't make stress worse with your attitude. Find balance by enjoying stress-free times. Use stress as a positive force by seeing opportunity and possibilities. If you are still sressed, walk it off. Grief can be stressful. You just go on and do the best you can.

Last edited:
"Everything that has happened, is happening and will happen is all for a reason". Whether we know what such reasons are is up to us through the allocation of our collective life experiences.

Death? Inevitable. It is something that we as humans overlook due to arrogance and ignorance. When we lose a loved one it comes as a total shock. I lost my father when I was 19, this coming Sunday will make it 11 years, he had a cardiac arrest while we were playing hockey. When someone dies it never is easy because of all of the connections we establish with them and the impact they have left on us. Not seeing someone physically is hard and it it the part we miss the most. If you keep loved ones in your mind and heart, they'll never die, the soul is eternal the body never was.

Talk to your loved ones if you miss someone that has passed, holding it in is not thee right thing to do and you may lash out on those around you whom you also love.

Bad times? Those are apart of life. Show me someone who has lived a live without hardships. Buddha, Krishna and Christ, even though they hold divine status were all given hardships and were tested by the world itself. We are humans, we directly and indirectly cause one another pain but we also give love, respect and kindness as well. I call hardships "temporary inconveniences" because they are not forever and if they exist then naturally there is a solution to them other wise they would not exist to begin with. Nothing in this life is forever, that's why you should cherish your loved ones and tell them you love them and appreciate them.

Loss of a job? Relationship ending? Loss of a friend or prized position? This is just God/The Universe telling us everything in life is temporary and nothing is forever and that we are only human in the grand scheme of things. Again love an appreciate those around while they are present. Let those stupid arguments slide and let your ego know that it's only as big as it thinks it is. To the world you're just somebody but to somebody you're the world!

Sadness and happiness are two different sides of the same coin brother. Happiness is a state of mind that YOU choose, when yoou relaize that no one can take it away from you no matter how hard they try. Do not avoid memories of hardships, you never forget anything, you can't bury something that isn't dead. Let it make you stronger, let it remind you that you are human and that you loved and were attached and there's nothing wrong with that.

No amount of regret can change the past and no amount of anxiety can change the future. You don't have to be religious to live in peace, everyone is different. Instead of doing more damage to yourself when you are sad etc, such as drinking, smoking and so forth, go to the gym, volunteer at a charity of your place, contribute to forums, give back to the world around you. Forgetting is for the arrogant and ignorant. Don't let terrible moments define you or break you, no, let them help build you into something more great.

The beauty of us humans is that we persevere through all hardships! Don't be a slave to your mind and sit in despair, there's no time like the present my friend! Enjoy this life and make the most of every second, don't waste it lamenting over things and people you cannot control. You are your worst enemy and your own best friend. You can't control the winds but you sure can set the sails.
You can't control the winds but you sure can set the sails, perfect, GOD smiles when man plans, he figured it out when he created the universe

Not advice from me, just a response to the question posed.
When my first wife died I kept busy. My boss arranged for me to attend all the out of town meetings we had so that I was traveling 3 weeks every month. It wasn't escapism, it helped prevent sitting and feeling sorry for myself/brooding/generally enjoying feeling sad. This won't work for everyone as you can't be home and still have to take care of things from a distance. You can keep busy without avoiding what is going on.
My daughter was living in a college dorm. We talked every day about what was going on in our lives and the world. We did not sit discussing how sad we were. It helped us both have an anchor, a source of warmth.
One good friend is a Buddhist priest at a regional temple. A real ordained one from Thailand who spent years living/studying in Buddhist seminary not a self appointed new age poseur. He taught me how to meditate as Buddhist monks do. Mindfulness isn't focusing on or thinking about your problems, nor is it letting go and avoiding thinking. I don't have the eloquence of speech nor the knowledge to explain it, I just practice it. It is something that can be practiced by persons of any religion as it isn't prayer (it may actually help you feel more connected to your religious belief though).
This helped me be calmer, happier (happiness comes from inside and how you perceive and respond to the the environment, not the circumstances of your environment) and deal with things as they came up, not fretting and procrastinating or avoiding.
I don't ask for anything to be given me in prayer other than the wisdom to make best decisions/take best action, and for the health and happiness of others, including people I perceive as causing me difficulties. It helps my attitude.
It's being thankful for the blessings in your life, do not begrudge you life for what it is not.
Dealing with things as they come up is much more pleasant than avoiding, brooding, drinking, drugging, or what not. Your worst fears usually don't happen.
YMMV.

Last edited:
You can't control the winds but you sure can set the sails, perfect, GOD smiles when man plans, he figured it out when he created the universe
As my Dad who was an ordained Methodist minister (Phd in Theology) told me; "God helps those who help themselves. You can pray all day, but he can't help you if you don't try."

Last edited:
Exercise, focus on the present, get on with it....

Everyone is different. I put off pain an grief for years and then it hit me like a freight train. There wasn’t enough work, exercise and focusing on the present to help me when I got down. Admitting I couldn’t do it by myself is what helped me.

I think it's wrong to think that others are pushing through any better than you are. We all deal with things differently and some show more outward emotions than others. A calm or content exterior doesn't mean the the feelings aren't there or that that person is doing better than you. Maybe they are and maybe it's an act. You feel what you feel. There's no one size fits most answer to handling stress or grief.

Back