So GC is now BC and BC is now GC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too late to edit my above post, but just noting that I realize PAO draw a long-time attraction of GC among many things.

With the new production sites, I just thought it was significant to me as a customer that the pour points are still so low, the formulations probably haven't changed, so the appeal will still be there.

An amazon review noted that the Belgian 0w-30 still had SL rating only, so that is probably further confirmation that there is probably no formula change despite the label indeed changing to say Belgium.

"Highly Refined" is Gr3. What nobody has yet been able to prove is the % of gr4/gr5 that's required for an oil in Germany to be called "full synthetic". For all we know it's somewhere over 50% but less than 100% as dino oil is commonly used as a carrier for the ad pack.

Basically the whole issue of base oil is moot whereas weights and OEM certs are what matters for the 99% of us.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Basically the whole issue of base oil is moot whereas weights and OEM certs are what matters for the 99% of us.

Yup. And from that standpoint, GC is no worse than other oils such as M1 0w-40 or PU 5w-40 meeting the same stringent MFG specs.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Yup. And from that standpoint, GC is no worse than other oils such as M1 0w-40 or PU 5w-40 meeting the same stringent MFG specs.

I do agree for real world use and performance not to worry about the group.

However, I think there are some small attributes that PAO does better? Example, the pour point we have seen get warmer in the Mobil PDS over the years, and the high temperature tests in the Mobil powerpoint. The old PAO looked better, cleaner in the one test.

I think it's important to remember than M1 0w-40 has changed at least one more time since the infamous powerpoint too. The powerpoint is very old and is the last SM version at latest, and we all saw even the add pack change when the SN version arrived.

Still, I think there is something cool that you can still get an oil with a good bit of Group IV (the Castrol options) with the very low pour points. At least it's an option for consumers still and perhaps beneficial in some parts of the world.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ayrton
However, I think there are some small attributes that PAO does better? Example, the pour point we have seen get warmer

Yes, but from a practical standpoint, I think specs such as MRV and CCV are more important than pour point.
smile.gif

However, I think there are some small attributes that PAO does better? Example, the pour point we have seen get warmer

Yes, but from a practical standpoint, I think specs such as MRV and CCV are more important than pour point.
smile.gif

What about now in Illinoistan??
smile.gif

For me pour point was always one of the key things when it comes to oil.
I ordered M1 5W30 ESP for CC and Tiguan (want to try Low-SAPS oil) because it has pour point of -45c, while Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 Euro L has -39c. PU could get on Amazon cheaper.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

smile.gif

What about now in Illinoistan??
smile.gif

For me pour point was always one of the key things when it comes to oil.
I ordered M1 5W30 ESP for CC and Tiguan (want to try Low-SAPS oil) because it has pour point of -45c, while Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 Euro L has -39c. PU could get on Amazon cheaper.

Well CCS and MRV are measured viscosity values so I think they mean more. For a 0w-xx they are measured at -35C and -40C, whilst for a 5w-xx they are measured at -30C and -35C respectively.

smile.gif

I completely see what you mean and completely agree! I guess there is some non-logical part of me that wants to think if someone put all the effort into a PAO today they put into cracked products, it would be better than a Group III+.

Of course, I feel like my climate, cars, and OCI are all so conservative I wouldn't even have to use manufacturer specs, so it is such a mute point for me.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back