So for my first thread... an oil abuse story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epic, I have the 1MZ-FE in my '98 Sienna. In my opinion the van is more responsive w/ thinner oil - so about a year ago I went all the way and put PP 5w20 in it. The van was rarely getting used at that time, and would sit for 8 to 10 days between start-ups. Well, on about the second of those long intervals, I turn the key and the engine sounds like a bunch of empty paint cans falling off a shelve. Loud and terrible sounding - lasted several seconds. Thought the engine was coming apart. Never heard it before that instance. I drained the oil and chged the filter. After posting about it on BITOG, several members said it could've been the filter. So I don't know. My theory was that that length of time allowed the thin 20 to fully vacate the metal surfaces.

Just FYI.

my bro in law a has a 4 cyl camry too and i just put in 3 qts of oil in his engine, no oil was on dipstick and car burns oil..he changes oil religiously once a year or every 25 k and this is 3 rd time i have found no oil on dipstick...car is up to 263 k now for some reason...i had some closeout torque QS syn on hand i so wonder if that will clean out some of the crud..he cant be bothered to change filter either even though it is right in front of engine

I guess that this makes all of us BITOG'ers irrelevent?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Epic, I have the 1MZ-FE in my '98 Sienna. In my opinion the van is more responsive w/ thinner oil - so about a year ago I went all the way and put PP 5w20 in it. The van was rarely getting used at that time, and would sit for 8 to 10 days between start-ups. Well, on about the second of those long intervals, I turn the key and the engine sounds like a bunch of empty paint cans falling off a shelve. Loud and terrible sounding - lasted several seconds. Thought the engine was coming apart. Never heard it before that instance. I drained the oil and chged the filter. After posting about it on BITOG, several members said it could've been the filter. So I don't know. My theory was that that length of time allowed the thin 20 to fully vacate the metal surfaces.

Just FYI.

Eric,So what do you think it runs best on then?? I`m running PP now,but I have some MB-1 afe 0W-30 i`m using up next.

Lexus, that's tricky to answer. I've had 10w40 and 15w40 in it in the past couple of years - it seemed a bit "heavy" as far as engine feel. All the M1 xxw30's I've had in it (and I've probably had all of them) it seemed quiet and smooth. But when I had the w20 in it, and once when I topped off the 15w40 fill with a full qt of MMO, and now with the present fill (see my sig.) - it just seems lighter on its wheels (if you will) in various ways. Probably part psychological - but it's nicer to drive when it's on the light side of a w30.

I don't notice any difference in feel, noise or mileage from the 0w20. Just less engine destruction :)

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Probably was the filter, I would imagine. If anything the 20 would get up to pressure a little faster.

Yeah, the filter was the fairly unanimous BITOG opinion as to the likely culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back