So, Does EK Really Have That Much GC Stashed???

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I'll let your mental illness take care of itself.

My question is: How much did it cost for the garage addition to store the oil?

And I hope your future cars are OK with GC!

Pablo,

I hate to assume the role of editor here; when you asked about the cost of a 'garage addition' I feel the question should address the cost of a shrine.

There's marble and granite costs, special computerized lighting, and motorized rotating and vertical acuated displays [ both electrical and hydraulic ].

Think Disneyworld pre-show.

and my friends think i am nuts for having 150+bottles of oil and atf.mostly synth.
a race engine builder here went under and i got a pallet full for 100.00
only 3 bottles of gc though.
guess enough to fill the busa motor we are putting into a honda mini.
or the eu2000 or em650 gensets.
yeah i know.sick waste but what the ****....

A pallet of oil for $100 dollars seems like a smart money play.

In defense of stockpiling these specialty oils... I live in an area where driving 300 miles round trip to look for the oils I want to use can be quite expensive.

Mail order on a small quantity doesn't make sense because the shipping cost becomes too high a percentage of total cost. I have to order a large amount of Redline to justify the shipping.

And even Mobil 1 0W-20 or 0W-40 can be hard to find at the local Wal of China Mart. The same is true of PureOne or Mobil 1 oil filters, or Wix mail order.

If I find the filters I need in stock and on sale, I stock up, If I mail order Wix I order enough to receive free shipping.

I even buy an extra 150 gallons of gas and diesel when I'm in Denver because it costs $0.50 /gallon more in the Vail valley.

While its fun to tease each other, I think that a few hundred quarts of a great oil bought at a bargain price is not wasteful.

I'm sure that if pscholte ever decided that he had more GC than he needed that he could sell some to other Colorado bitog'ers [myself included] in a few days.

But there are limits to healthy bitog conduct.

While I feel that dressing up in bright green lederhosen and talking to one's GC collection is perfectly normal, I feel quite strongly that one need not give each container of GC a name and throwing a 'going away party' for each botle before use is obsessive and upsets the other products in the garage or storage area.

These bottles of GC knew what they were getting into when they signed up. A simple funeral following proper procedure and decorum for the drained used oil is sufficient.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, or engine, in this case.

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:
Wal of China Mart

lol.gif
OMG that's great! Got to remember that one.

quote:

I'll let your mental illness take care of itself.

My question is: How much did it cost for the garage addition to store the oil?

And I hope your future cars are OK with GC!

I plead insanity on the mental illness thing!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

I'm planning, with a little good luck to run both of our cars through this supply of GC, again, that would be roughly to the end of the decade. We'll see. Please don't say things that might tempt me to start "planning" for the next cars. . .

EDIT: Oh yeah, the stash actually tucks away pretty neatly when boxed and stacked atop one of the cabinet units in the corner of the garage.

quote:

{snip}My question is: How much did it cost for the garage addition to store the oil?
{snip}

Actually, here is how it all looks when in "stashed" configuration:
 -

Note the Amsoil bottles, carefully placed as a disguise, so as to quell the interest of, and ward off, would-be thieves!
wink.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Ahmm... also note the mandated jug of Simple Green for cleaning up oil change mishaps on the garage floor!
grin.gif

Yes, and a definite precursor of advanced Bitog illness is stashing away oil for a yet-to-be purchased vehicle.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by krholm:
EK. That's enviable. What a stash!!

Why thank you, KR. You and my wife are definitely NOT on the same sheet of music.

AJ, it will be a 0w-30 morning in h*ll before she understands the fine essence green as you, pscholte, and I do. . .
wink.gif
cheers.gif

Strange how all the batch numbers seem to match no matter where bought. I have lots of M0409, M0418, and M0428 (I know because I arranged them by date last night).
My measly 60 qts pales in comparison.

Yea, but I can't remember what the 5th digit was, but they were the same for each group (for me). It is only a 10 day window though, so they were made on the 90-99th day, 180-189 th day, ect. I will look when I get home tomorrow.
Well, found a pic I had, one set is M04097***

[ October 31, 2005, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: blupupher ]

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
The batch number date consists of 5 digits not 4.

True, but no harm here, as it appears that Castrol only brewed the good stuff on certain select days, such as the 188th day of 2004 (hence M04188). That would have been July 6 ('04 having been a leap year). They must have been going all out for Oktoberfest last year, making October 6 a record setter(birthday for all of the M04280 that is glutting our collections). Anyway, since we have not (at least I have not) seen any consecutive days of production, the "M0428", while incomplete is not an inadequate description.
cheers.gif

OK, someone play the Twilight Zone music now. I just noticed from the Julian dates that Castrol made Green GC on the 6th day of April, July, and October of 2004. But they also made some on August 23, 2004 (M04236). So, it's not just that they make GC on the 6th of the month, but they made it on three 6ths of the month. Hmmmmmmmm -- three sixes, that ought to get the Omen movie fans thinking. . .
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
So, it's not just that they make GC on the 6th of the month, but they made it on three 6ths of the month. Hmmmmmmmm -- three sixes, that ought to get the Omen movie fans thinking. . .
shocked.gif

Your discovery of the 6-6-6 batch numbers on Halloween is purely a coincidence. Tomorrow is "All Saints Day". You can rest easy tomorrow.
smile.gif

By shortyb:

quote:

Just for grins I counted mine. Nothing better to do at 3AM, not sleeping since I'm staying on my mids schedule even on days off. After OCs in 2 cars and with the recent 38qt. aquisition, I'm sitting at 256 qts. Yes, its a sickness.

Whew. What with it being All Saints Day, with no "Omen movie things" having happened to me after discovering the 6-6-6 date pattern, and with discovering that I'm in no better than 3rd place in the stash wars, I'm feeling much saner today. . .
cheers.gif

Here's a picture of the last Green GC left in Calgary, Canada (that I'm aware of). Hope the "contamination" by other brands won't make you gag..each has its use. Also included the oil extractor in the photo for those that haven't seen one.

I know it's not a phenomenon that is unknown to others with the GC affliction....but my wife thinks I'm a nutter.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back