So assume my oil filter media is torn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Yeah, a bypass system without a bypass filter installed.
lol.gif

LOL - that is what I thought when I read the post...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Please do remember that as your OCI ages past 3k miles, wear rates continue to drop, and can approach nearly zero. Once the tribochemcial barrier is firmly in place, there is practially no wear at all.

Where on here can I read more about this?

Synopsis of the study.

http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133/

I was getting ready to call you a smart [censored]! I didn't even know what I should put in google to start the search.

Also, anyone have a copy of the full paper?

Sorry to hijack this thread I just wanted to learn more about this aspect. How often you change your oil/filter, ZeeOSix?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: davinci
How often you change your oil/filter, ZeeOSix?

Depends on a few factors, but usually around 6~7K miles.

Originally Posted By: davinci
Synopsis of the study.

http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133/

I was getting ready to call you a smart [censored]! I didn't even know what I should put in google to start the search.

Also, anyone have a copy of the full paper?

Sorry to hijack this thread I just wanted to learn more about this aspect. How often you change your oil/filter, ZeeOSix?

Yes, I have a full copy of the paper, and the conclusions people are trying to draw from the abstract are not supported by the paper. That's not what the paper is about. The paper shows that aged oil forms low friction anti-wear layers, and can do so with up to 12K miles on the oil. That's it.

The experimental design, methodology, and scope of the paper do not allow any conclusions to be drawn about wear metals going down with increased milage. Wear metals were not measured in engines. Wear was measured in a lab apparatus using oil aged in engines. The wear measurements have nothing to do with the day to day operation of an engine. The experimental design leaves specific variables uncontrolled that makes the jump from the lab bench to day to day operation of an engine impossible.

Ed

Last edited:
To answer the original question of this thread, the tear will not have a significant effect in a new filter if the tear is small. But as the filter media gets laden with material, the tear will cut its performance by more and more.

This is why I will still use the PureOne in my stash, but I am demoting it to about 5000 miles; no more. Once I have used it, no more Purolator filters for me.

I have seen hydraulic systems running very very clean with a locally made filter that used stapling pleats together (yes with staples) rather than a crimped metal edge, glue, anything else.

In other words these filters were already "torn" from the factory...and the stapling process where they perforate then are bent inwards make gaping holes in comparison to the pore size.

They will filter most of the stuff well, but maybe, once in a while, something way too big will pass through one of the way too big holes, and cause you grief.

Untorn, unstapled is always better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back