So about those car fires…

Was on the way to Indy today, and saw a red VW Golf (~2017 or so?) with the hood up and a small but angry fire coming from the engine. The driver had already fled the area. Unfortunately, I didn’t get any in-process pics.

Anyways, I saw a fire truck and several fire admin vehicles go flying past on I-69N. I drove back past about 2.5 hours later, and it seems the fire spread quite quickly since only probably 3 minutes passed during seeing the fire just around the intake and FD arriving. Anybody know if VWs have a common cause of these fires?
1677556128491.jpeg

Not sure if there were underhood mods, when I drove past during the actual fire, I didn’t notice any flashy intake piping or FMIC. But then again, I’m not a Golf aficionado, especially at a 50 foot, 60mph glance. Oh well. I’m surprised ISP didn’t have the husk towed and impounded; like I said it was left at least 3.5 hours after I saw the initial fire.

Vehicles burn with no aftermarket parts. While we don't know about this car it's a bad day for the owner regardless. Why are there people that will automatically go into attack mode until they've understood the cause of fire? Seems short sighted and half brained.

The stickers on it look like the ones they put on vehicles warning that they will be towed if not moved. I wonder if it had been sitting there for a while before it caught fire.

So many things can cause this. I wouldn't rule out the vehicle's age as a factor, as even the best rubber fuel lines don't last forever. External oil leak on the turbo would be another suspect to me. The list is long.

The stickers on it look like the ones they put on vehicles warning that they will be towed if not moved. I wonder if it had been sitting there for a while before it caught fire.
No, the stickers were added after the fire. I was unable to get a pic when I drove past, but no stickers were present while the engine was aflame but it appeared the car had stopped just shortly before since the driver’s window is also rolled down.

The stickers are a courtesy to the owner to arrange their own removal of the car and avoid being trapped in a mandatory tow. They don't tow away right away unless the car is obstructing traffic.

Back