So, 7500-9000 miles is a good target oci for synth/Japanese engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
What does Honda say? I have it's 1st cousin, an Acura TL and the dealer told me the OLM will call for a change between 5k and 10k miles on Dino, no brownie points for synth. If Honda is giving you similar numbers, start off changing it when Honda recommends and do what the UOA tells you if you want to play games with warranty coverage.

While it's under warranty, I don't see any reason to deviate from what the OM calls for. Why give the dealer a reason to deny any warranty claim?

Ah, there you are, Clyde65. I was hoping you'd make an appearance to help yourself out after your ridiculous statement of using xw-20 weight oil "at the expense of long term protection." Apparently you have not done your homework once again.

Auto-Union, I am doing exactly what you're saying on two Hondas now with no ill effects. No leaks, zero consumption on one and 1 quart over 10k on the other, and great fuel mileage. Been doing it in warranty too. I must be crazy, or I must believe in those that have come before me on planet BITOG.

Synthetic oil in your engine will keep it spotless inside. 10K is a good number while you are on the warranty period.

The only way you can really tell how the oil will hold up is a oil analysis. I am quite sure that if and when you try a really long OCI and sample you can figure out exactly where you need to do the OCI.

I really think once your off the warranty, run a fill to 15K sample leaving the oil in the engine and see where you are at. I think you will be surprized how many miles you can run and how clean the inside of the engine will be.

quote:

Originally posted by Clyde65:

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
... does 7500-9000 miles sound about right in a new Honda with M1 or GC?

crushedcar.gif

Whats this mean?

My valvetrain looked great with 7k-8k changes on synthetic.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=004014

My uoa's also looked excellent
1, 2
Maybe the wear metals are higher with longer oci's because... the oil has been in use longer? Just a thought..

That's his way of saying he knows better, while conveniently side-stepping any obligation to properly or honestly prove something he claims. Actually, I'd say that the little smilie/pic of the poor red car is a pretty good representation of what Clyde himself has done to his credibility here. Oh well. . .

Hmmmmmmm. Looks like Clyde's refusal to recognize obvious facts also extends to the board rules. Seems he has disappeared from the membership list. I guess it's true -- you reap what you sew.

Yes, 7-9k OCIs would be a piece of cake for a healthy Honda or Toyota, especially with a good synthetic. I'd do one UOA toward the end just to verify that nothing unusual was going on, and then press on from there.
cheers.gif

I'm a lil out-of-sync with the calender of when I want to change, so I am going to dump at 8000 miles. That's about 3 months. fwiw I have a lot of M1 and GC sitting here, I know that skews my thinking, but I'll probally go longer ocis when the car is older and I am buying the oil. For my woman's CR-V, I'm going a full six months, still probally 8000 miles tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back