So, 7500-9000 miles is a good target oci for synth/Japanese engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some do shorter and some longer, but does 7500-9000 miles sound about right in a new Honda with M1 or GC? Shorter would mean like 6000 and longer would mean what...12,000 miles? Sooo???

Easy Target. 8500 to 9000 miles with syn in a Honda then UOA. If I had kept it I had a nearly 10k mile run and sample on my Mitsubishi 2.4 with 0w30 M1 but I traded it in and disposed of the oil sample after holding onto it for a while.

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
I know some do shorter and some longer, but does 7500-9000 miles sound about right in a new Honda with M1 or GC? Shorter would mean like 6000 and longer would mean what...12,000 miles? Sooo???

What does Honda say? I have it's 1st cousin, an Acura TL and the dealer told me the OLM will call for a change between 5k and 10k miles on Dino, no brownie points for synth. If Honda is giving you similar numbers, start off changing it when Honda recommends and do what the UOA tells you if you want to play games with warranty coverage.

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
... does 7500-9000 miles sound about right in a new Honda with M1 or GC?

crushedcar.gif

I forgot to mention, mfg OCI is 10,000 miles on dino. I'm just not "feelin'" over 10k with any oil, not that I haven't done it before and don't go long OCIs on good dino/blends, like 6000-8000. I want a LONG OCI because I an driving a lot, but approaching 10k, I pretty much want synth and have it here anyway. So, can there be a general consensus around 7500-9000? If those numbers can make the "go ahead and change it, oil is cheap" crowd as well as the "take it to the max" crowd, it's a consensus.

Come on ... don't you want your car to last? Look at the numbers in the UOA section on long OCI's, the wear numbers are always high. I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind long OCI's. To save money you say? Or "let's not waste perfectly good oil." Or how about this one: "run it out to 10K and do a UOA." When the damage is already done folks, a UOA is NOT going to bring the engine back to where it was. Go 5000 miles on your favorite 5W-20 blend and take care of the car.
cool.gif

#1, does this car have an olm? if so then use it if you are going to run a synthetic

#2, before the olm i thought honda recomended 10k oil changes with oil filter every other change - correct me if i'm wrong

#3 i have no doubt the syn will go the distance for whatever the OEM recomends as there change interval, even the OLM equipped models

#4, personally 5k is the max amount i can go on any oil,the one time i did buy and run a synthetic i still changed it at 5k, just couldn't go longer and i probably never will be able to, not even with moral support from uoa's

I'd say 10,000-12,000 mile OCI's with the Mobil 1/EP in your Acura RSX is conservative. I've seen nice analysis numbers with 7-8 TBN, 5w-20 petroleum oils after 7k-8k miles in that application.

I've been running 10k OCI's in a 1.8L, 225 Hp, Audi Turbo with a 4.8 quart sump and my four analyses show plenty of oil reserve.

TS

quote:

Come on ... don't you want your car to last? Look at the numbers in the UOA section on long OCI's, the wear numbers are always high. I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind long OCI's. To save money you say? Or "let's not waste perfectly good oil." Or how about this one: "run it out to 10K and do a UOA." When the damage is already done folks, a UOA is NOT going to bring the engine back to where it was. Go 5000 miles on your favorite 5W-20 blend and take care of the car.

What a pot of garbage! I hope you are kidding. Please show me these UOA's? Oh there might be one or two when something was wrong with the car, but almost every long OCI posted does NOT show INCREASED wear. You use the word "damage" - please use some evidence!

10K mile OCI with a good synthetic in a good engine is easy and very doable.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

quote:

What a pot of garbage! I hope you are kidding. Please show me these UOA's? Oh there might be one or two when something was wrong with the car, but almost every long OCI posted does NOT show INCREASED wear. You use the word "damage" - please use some evidence!

10K mile OCI with a good synthetic in a good engine is easy and very doable.

10K miles on a good synthetic like Mobil 1 is a piece of cake. I used M1 from the time it came out, back in the 70's I believe, until I retired a few years ago and quit driving so much. It was said to be good for 1 year or 25,000 miles, so I changed it once a year, usually at 19- or 20,000 miles.

Somewhere along the way, Mobil had trouble with people who would not check their oil level and ruined their engines, and dropped the 25,000 mile advertising claim. I kept changing it once a year, and never had any oil related problem. I do not keep my cars forever; about 7 years and 140,000 miles was my limit. The engines were always quiet and smooth with this mileage on them.

One thing I cannot figure out is why this new M1 EP is only good for 15,000 miles.

I know of a guy with a VW 1.8T engine that usually got M1 5W-30 with 17k mile oil changes, lots of highway driving, and was still running great at 200k miles. UOAs showed that the oil was beat by 17k miles but he didn't mind running it to the ragged edge. I don't recommend that but it does go to show what's possible. 10k OCI in M1 EP or GC is not hard if the fuel dilution and dirt ingestion is not a problem. The specs that GC meets are long drain specs and M1 EP is guaranteed for 15k miles.

I have no OLM. I mistakenly said I don't do long dino OCIS, and I do...6000-8000 on good dino is long. Now, I know 10k on synth is do-able and UOAs support this, but UOA does not indicate how clean the engine is going to be. 10k, yeah...that's about where I am at when I say 9k. It's a brand-new car and I have like 10 changes worth of synth here, so I want to use it....efficiently and effectively. If asked about this application by someone, I'd have to tell them 7500-9000 miles. Agreed?

ps- that number actually seems a lil long, for most people in a new car...but I am making an informed decision and not looking to change oil 10X a year)

UOA's DO indicate how clean the engine is going to be, if you know what parameters to look at....

TS

Also, especialy for the short OCI guys, heck---Mobil Clean 5000, their cheapest OTC oil....5000 miles guarantee. Running Mobil 1 shorter than their Clean 7500....that does not make sense either.

Ted, honestly I've seen long OCI (AMSoil) engines that look poor. One guy on Club RSX has a 90's Lexus that he's owned since 1-2 years old. He runs AMSoil at 1 year intervals....I can find the pic of his engine if I look, it's nasty.

quote:

Originally posted by Clyde65:
Come on ... don't you want your car to last? Look at the numbers in the UOA section on long OCI's, the wear numbers are always high. I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind long OCI's. (...snip...)

Clyde:

You know, it's one thing to simply decline to back up your statements with facts. It's another thing entirely to misrepresent the facts. You stated, "Look at the numbers in the UOA section on long OCI's, the wear numbers are always high." This is simply false. See the selection of UOAs I've linked below. All are UOAs in cars with OCIs at 7500 miles or more, and all are perfectly good and showing no signs of damage or even danger.

An '03 Camry running M1 to 9500 miles, good results.

A VW Golf running GC for about 7500 miles, great results.

My own G35 on GC at 7100 (not quite 7500...) barely showing any wear at all...

A 2001 Toyota Avalon, 13500 miles on Amsoil S2k, outstanding results.

A 2000 Olds Intrigue running Amsoil S2k for 13000 miles, slightly high Fe, not bad for miles, all else great.

A V-8 Tundra running M1EP for over 8000 miles, wear almost non-existent.

A Ford Explorer running Amsoil S2k for 24000 miles, nothing amiss here...

A Turbo Saab 9-3 running M1 0w-40 for 17000 miles, great results.

An Accord 4-cyl w/ over 100k miles running 5w-20 dino for 9200 miles!!!

Toyota Sequoia (mine) running GC for 13 months & 10,200 miles, wear almost non-existent.

Well, do I need to go on? There are plenty more just like the ten above, right here on BITOG. Am I missing something? Pretty clearly, all these cars, and in fact dozens and dozens more here on BITOG are doing fine on these longer OCIs. Wear numbers are NOT always high, and these cars all seem to be living long, happy lives.
cheers.gif

It depends on a lot of things.

My '94 Geo Prizm that did 8K+ miles in 4 months was pretty easy on Mobil 1.

My ex-wifes 00 Mazda MPV just about destroyed that same oil in 6 months, but only 5K miles.

There are many factors, including time and distance.

Personally, I would put both limits on an oil change, a mileage limit and a time limit.

I think 10K miles and/or 6 months, or something like that could be done standing on your head
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back