so 5k or 6 months is normal OCI now a day ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is quality dino/synthetic with quality oil filter ( wix/purolator...) can handle 5k or 6 months OCI on all driving condition now ? because I was bore and checking UOA section, and most I see blackstone recommend is over 5k miles some I see 7k miles.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
With quality synthetic, 10K miles or 1 year should be doable for most conditions.

wow

Most manufacturers are at least 5K, unless they state to follow life meters. Mine is usually around 6K miles, (OLM) assume calibrated for conventional.

5000 is the new 3000.

I have successfully converted friends and family to 5000k though they are skittish. Me personally I am a believer in 5000 to 7500k oil changes on any oil off the shelf. Oil is different now as SN than it was in the days when a 3000 mile oil change (along with heavier grades) was Bible.

The answer to your question is yes thats fine.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Most manufacturers are at least 5K, unless they state to follow life meters. Mine is usually around 6K miles, (OLM) assume calibrated for conventional.

how long take you to drive 6k ?

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

Have you tried different oils? (weights, sun/dino, etc) Does the interval length stay the same?

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
5000 is the new 3000.

I have successfully converted friends and family to 5000k though they are skittish. Me personally I am a believer in 5000 to 7500k oil changes on any oil off the shelf. Oil is different now as SN than it was in the days when a 3000 mile oil change (along with heavier grades) was Bible.

I try to change my old man mine, stop changing oil every 3 months or 3k miles, I just change his oil for him with QS defy and told him dont change until 6 months.

I bought all the 97 cent valv durablend oil at the richardson/garland sears. Har har har. 18 single qts of it.

Originally Posted By: Need4racin
I bought all the 97 cent valv durablend oil at the richardson/garland sears. Har har har. 18 single qts of it.

I just recently move here, and doing alot highway driving, not like city in town driving 5-10 miles a day like in jackson ms, im doing 50-60 miles highway in dallas now. So my oil change it a bit different now, still using QS defy,and plan on using it for 5k run.

5000 is the new 3000.

Great post!
Even I go to 4k+.
The new OCMs can have dino OK at 10k, in some instances. I would balk at this and never go that long on dino, but it shows things have changed.

I'm all for extended oil changes -- I just wonder if the public at large is actually disciplined enough to check their oil level on a regular basis, when they go a year between changes.

Originally Posted By: kb01
I'm all for extended oil changes -- I just wonder if the public at large is actually disciplined enough to check their oil level on a regular basis, when they go a year between changes.

Good question, kb. Somehow I think the answer is probably "nope".

5000 is the new 3000.

Do you think this is acceptable on older vehicles as well? I agree that newer cars should easily go at least 5k OCI though. Maybe even in severe driving conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JavierG
5000 is the new 3000.

Do you think this is acceptable on older vehicles as well? I agree that newer cars should easily go at least 5k OCI though. Maybe even in severe driving conditions.

Not my question, but are you talking about your 95 ? if your engine clean, no smoke. leak.. I dont see why cant go 5k or 6 months on quality oil. and I just gonna stick with what you been doing with it for all these years, dont change the thing
smile.gif

My '98 Grand Marquis was just changed after 1yr & over 9500 miles... It required 1qt added at 5000Kmi and was close to a quart low at the change, now on round two of same with M1...

I'm sticking with what works too. 12kmile OCI's. Sometimes 14k.
wink.gif
258k and counting, it might burnt a liter between changes. I check every 2-3 weeks, and often just change when it's a liter low. Factory called for 10k OCI's, BTW; and the Camry does too now. Synthetic, of course, for both.

FWIW, I recall reading some of the TDi's in Europe were 2 year / 30kmile OCI's, if they had an oil life monitor. I think that is true on a number of vehicles over there, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back