Snowing in Fontana

Not sure if the Xfinity race will run this evening or not. Xfinity and cup qualifying rained out, now it's snowing at Auto Club speedway. 😱

Xfinity would run after Cup tomorrow. I didn't get tickets this year and am happy I passed. I had to work today, so I would have missed anything on Saturday and my ticket guy at NASCAR couldn't guarantee the same seats we had last year. We have had seats in the Speedway Club which is under the suite/broadcast section so it is under cover.

Xfinity would run after Cup tomorrow. I didn't get tickets this year and am happy I passed. I had to work today, so I would have missed anything on Saturday and my ticket guy at NASCAR couldn't guarantee the same seats we had last year. We have had seats in the Speedway Club which is under the suite/broadcast section so it is under cover.
If they postpone until tomorrow that puts the Xfinity race being run after 6:00 on my end of the states.

Thankfully, according to Bob Pockrass, Auto Club Speedway has lights.

I went to a few night IndyCar races there and I must say it made the whole experience more enjoyable. It can get miserably hot there during the day.
Haven't they run some truck and/or Xfinity races under the lights at Fontana?

I believe they did at some point, and I want to say one or two Cup races. The whole issue is the East Coast time thing and the races starting late there compared to here. When IndyCar when there from 2012-2015 most of the races were in the evening and then in 2015 they decided a mid-day start time in June made the most sense. It was miserably hot, but we had epic seats and the racing was incredible.

I believe they did at some point, and I want to say one or two Cup races. The whole issue is the East Coast time thing and the races starting late there compared to here. When IndyCar when there from 2012-2015 most of the races were in the evening and then in 2015 they decided a mid-day start time in June made the most sense. It was miserably hot, but we had epic seats and the racing was incredible.
I was at the 2015 IndyCar race. That big bill board like sign at the entry of turn 1 saw the fast guys entering turn one at 235+ mph. Insane.

Scott

I was at the 2015 IndyCar race. That big bill board like sign at the entry of turn 1 saw the fast guys entering turn one at 235+ mph. Insane.

Scott
That was probably one of the most terrifying, but thrilling races I have ever been to. We normally would sit with Charlie Kimball's mom, but they sat in the sun. We were in the Speedway Club and jaws hanging open the whole time. I had my scanner set to monitor Charlie's channel as well as NBC, and the during commercial commentary between Steve Matchett and Paul Tracy was entertaining. Steve was blown away at what he was watching while Paul kept saying "ya, welcome to IndyCar."

That was probably one of the most terrifying, but thrilling races I have ever been to. We normally would sit with Charlie Kimball's mom, but they sat in the sun. We were in the Speedway Club and jaws hanging open the whole time. I had my scanner set to monitor Charlie's channel as well as NBC, and the during commercial commentary between Steve Matchett and Paul Tracy was entertaining. Steve was blown away at what he was watching while Paul kept saying "ya, welcome to IndyCar."
I'd never been to a super speedway race for any series until that 2015 IndyCar race at Fontana. What amazed me after seeing it live is how it's possible these guys even survive a high speed super speedway crash. Also, it was amazing how during a pitstop right before they dropped the car, how the drivers floored it and held the engines at their limiters. The screaming, booming, and popping sounds from those engines screaming at 10K or 12K rpm in first gear with the clutch disengaged - even being 1/4 mile away in the front grandstands the sound was deafening.

Scott

I'd never been to a super speedway race for any series until that 2015 IndyCar race at Fontana. What amazed me after seeing it live is how it's possible these guys even survive a high speed super speedway crash. Also, it was amazing how during a pitstop right before they dropped the car, how the drivers floored it and held the engines at their limiters. The screaming, booming, and popping sounds from those engines screaming at 10K or 12K rpm in first gear with the clutch disengaged - even being 1/4 mile away in the front grandstands the sound was deafening.

Scott
I went to the 2002 Champ Car race there, and for a while it was the highest average speed race in history, I found the broadcast on Youtube. Per Racing Reference teh average speed for the race was 197.995mph. The Champ Car 2.65L turbo engines sound so dreamy.

Also the world closed course speed record was set there in 2000 by Gil deFerran in a Penske Reynard Honda. Also completely politically incorrect, but I miss tobacco advertising in motorsports. I was born in 1983 and always watched racing as long as I can remember. I knew every tobacco brand associated with racing from a young age and I don't smoke.

Last edited:
I went to the 2002 Champ Car race there, and for a while it was the highest average speed race in history, I found the broadcast on Youtube. Per Racing Reference teh average speed for the race was 197.995mph. The Champ Car 2.65L turbo engines sound so dreamy.

Also the world closed course speed record was set there in 2000 by Gil deFerran in a Penske Reynard Honda. Also completely politically incorrect, but I miss tobacco advertising in motorsports. I was born in 1983 and always watched racing as long as I can remember. I knew every tobacco brand associated with racing from a young age and I don't smoke.

Back in 2020 I had plans to buy tickets for Indy grand prix at Barber Motorsports Park...then they cancelled it for covid. I've never been to an open wheel race.

The tobacco paint schemes were some of the most iconic, that and beer.

Back in 2020 I had plans to buy tickets for Indy grand prix at Barber Motorsports Park...then they cancelled it for covid. I've never been to an open wheel race.

The tobacco paint schemes were some of the most iconic, that and beer.
What cool about IndyCar is you don't need hearing protection in the stands. The turbos quiet the cars down a lot. Its a whole different experience being at an IndyCar race vs. a NASCAR race at the same facility. I am in no way putting anyone down, but the IndyCar crowd feel like the average income of the attendee is substantially higher than NASCAR.

What cool about IndyCar is you don't need hearing protection in the stands. The turbos quiet the cars down a lot. Its a whole different experience being at an IndyCar race vs. a NASCAR race at the same facility. I am in no way putting anyone down, but the IndyCar crowd feel like the average income of the attendee is substantially higher than NASCAR.
I went to Nashville Fairgrounds for the SRX race last year, really enjoyed it. I've never been to a nascar race.

Those Cosworth DFX V8 powered full ground effect CART machines back then were insane. IIRC that lap de Ferren did saw him hit 248mph on the backstretch. It was at this point the drivers started to complain that crashes could become unsurvivable. They slowed the cars down soon after this with that "Hanford flap".

Scott

Back