Snowblower oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a Husqvarna ST 224. Oil recommendation is calling for a SL/CF rated 5W30(according to my operating temps). What would be a good oil to use? I'd like to use a synthetic.

Any synthetic from 0W-30 to 5w40
smile.gif

Originally Posted by BigTrees
Do all new synthetics meet the SL/CF certification?

IDK...my HMSK100 runs great for 18yrs now on anything synthetic between 5w30 & 5w40
smile.gif

Curently on Shell Helix Ultra 5w40...

Last edited:
Whatever 5w30 you wish. I think I'm using STP dino. The new engine has less than 50 hrs. I would run the first fill for 5 hrs and drain to clean out the flash. . I'm 67 yrs old, got a messed up right arm and COPD. The Chonda starts at 10F on the 2nd pull.
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

Btw pictures from today...I changed a seal on an engine block...first "major" repair after 18years of HD use... (plus I changed a friction wheel)...I think that it is GTG for 21th century
laugh.gif

DSC_1008.JPG

DSC_1010.JPG

DSC_1012.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andyd
Just curious KameleON. what make is that engine ?

Tecumseh HMSK100 vin: 159288W...on Simplicity 1080M snowthrower

OPE from 90's are of different breed than nowadays
smile.gif
They are built to last...thats why its worth to maintain them no matter what
wink.gif

IMG-230b15bb49822004b4c951ec9b9146f7-V.jpg

Last edited:
My snow blower is kept in a semi-heated garage so I've been using Rotella 10W-30. It starts on the first pull, if the carb is not messed up with E10. It's a small engine, 179cc, that works hard but does the job and it doesn't use any oil. The short first OC had some minor metal in it. After that there has been no metal in the oil with this Chinese made Power More engine. I have to say it runs really well and does a good job especially after I added the impeller kit, what a difference that made to the snow throwing ability with this small engine.

Whimsey

5w30, pick your flavour and changed at listed intervals. The 291cc LCT on mine has been fed a steady diet of PPPP and recently some sort of Castrol Edge Syntec black bottle or whatever its called. Mine is stored outside and has been pull started in -30C on numerous occasions. It starts first pull and does not burn any discernible amount of oil.

Don't overthink this, the engine does not care.

It came filled from the factory so I'll run that for 5-10 hours then swap it out with a top tier synthetic. Thanks for all the input! ðŸ‘

Never put anything in any of my winter machines other than conventional 5w-30. Never had a single oil related failure either. Just change oil at the end of snow season, run gas out of carb and your machine should last for many years.
I will say that I Never saw so much " metal glitter" as I did when I changer the oil for the first time in my current Craftsman single stage blower. I only bought it because I got it for a very low price and figured if I got a year or two out of it I'd be ahead of the game. I suppose that I was just being cautious because it has a China made motor. Well, let me tell you, I have not been easy on that machine and it has taken everything that I have thrown at it. I think it took 3 oil changes before I stopped seeing metal in the used oil though. The first oil change was the worst by far and each subsequent oil change showed les and less metal when it came out of the engine. I have to say that it's a great running little engine and I'd buy another without hesitation.

Whatever you use, use a Synthetic with the lowest pour point you can find because if you are cranking it over by hand your shoulder will thank you. I noticed a huge difference using Amsoil 4-stroke formula in my Snowblower over the conventional that was in it when I got it. It's good down to -40c / -40F and it's called a 10w30. It has a nice HTHS rating as well and lots of ZDDP for these type of engines. It turns over with ease like a hot engine would.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back