snowbird in South Florida - what oil weight?

Hi, snowbird for the winter..have a PT Cruiser Turbo, car stays here, just use it in the winter months. When the oil is changed should I use 10w30, or use 5w30? Up north I use 5w30 syn, but is due for an oil change. Should I use 10w30, because basically the weather is usually always above freezing. what do you Florida folks use?. thanks

since the car isnt air cooled.. and its not cold(by northern standards) either is fine.

That being said many of the 5w30 will have approvals that are stricter and possibly relevant compared to some 10w30's.

Last edited:
I'm not from Florida, but there isn't going to be a discernable difference between 10w-30 and 5w-30 above freezing viscosity-wise.

People have bench raced over VII's, base stocks, and approvals/licenses/certifications between the two viscosities, but I would be on team 5w-30 for the Dexos1 approval for the turbo support.

You're a-okay with a 5W-30 synthetic for the period encompassing late fall through early spring.

If it was summer... I'd think twice and likely move to an SN-rated 15W-40.

Hi, snowbird for the winter..have a PT Cruiser Turbo, car stays here, just use it in the winter months. When the oil is changed should I use 10w30, or use 5w30? Up north I use 5w30 syn, but is due for an oil change. Should I use 10w30, because basically the weather is usually always above freezing. what do you Florida folks use?. thanks
There is a two step process.
1. Read the owners manual.
2. Do what it says.

Back