Snow - woke up to this today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
401.jpeg
IMG_20150717_071016.jpg

Note that there's a zero offset to the ruler.

Glowplugs are dead ATM (spares in the shed), but it cranked to life without "sniff".

Problem was that when I went to move off, the rears spun together, and slid the back into the kerb.

4WD, and it moved into the stree but the LSD is really really tight, still after 12 years and 127,500km (RP 75W140 - I don't hate RP), and didn't want to allow the front to do anything without understeering badly.

Decided discretion and valour and returned home for a few hours until the melt...ran things via phone for a while.

The Nissan is about my favourite vehicle ever, but the really tight LSD just doesn't like snow.

Still, negotiating my return, there were quite a few cars at strange angles that couldn't get out of their own way.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
By the look of the road and sidewalk, I'll guess -3C.
And 75mm is 3" in USA.

It doesn't matter where you are, 76.6mm is 3"

And 75mm is 3" in USA.

Pretty darned close...

-7C gets us sharp frosts, and frozen pipes.

Nice mild winter day. -7C is 20F, not a bad temp, although if the ground is not that cold it makes for a mess.

I didn't think it snowed anywhere in Australia. Kind of like Texas where they just don't go anywhere till the snow melts.
Below 20F here in Michigan is when I put on my long johns.

Originally Posted By: Olas
And 75mm is 3" in USA.

It doesn't matter where you are, 76.6mm is 3"

For some people every millimeter counts.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Still, negotiating my return, there were quite a few cars at strange angles that couldn't get out of their own way.

maybe they used 40W70?

98 with high humidity at my place yesterday. That looks refreshing. Of course if we got that here it would be the end of the world as we know it.

At 20° I still go out side in a t shirt. Not for long, but long enough to start the car and let the dogs poop

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
I wish we had snow
frown.gif

You'll get your wish.

Shannow, it's uncommon in Australia (except maybe Thredbo?) to have snow, isn't it?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
401.jpeg
IMG_20150717_071016.jpg

Note that there's a zero offset to the ruler.

Glowplugs are dead ATM (spares in the shed), but it cranked to life without "sniff".

Problem was that when I went to move off, the rears spun together, and slid the back into the kerb.

4WD, and it moved into the stree but the LSD is really really tight, still after 12 years and 127,500km (RP 75W140 - I don't hate RP), and didn't want to allow the front to do anything without understeering badly.

Decided discretion and valour and returned home for a few hours until the melt...ran things via phone for a while.

The Nissan is about my favourite vehicle ever, but the really tight LSD just doesn't like snow.

The snorkel is a cool touch. Dont see much of that here at all. How deep have you had that truck in water before?

It is supposed to be 90*F (30ish*C) tomorrow and I am not looking forward to it one bit. It will be nice to catch up on some mowing though.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Shannow, it's uncommon in Australia (except maybe Thredbo?) to have snow, isn't it?

It's not unusual here (about 100 miles inland from Sydney), we get a couple of days per year...that was biggest in a while due to a cold snap.

Some of my people live in Bathurst, and a couple of times per year can't get to work due to it. (there's some facebook photos of a guy who snowboarded down Conrod Straight)

October last year we got smashed, no power for 8 hours, but the roads were reasonably passable (at this end). October before, the town was on fire.

This town has seen snow in Christmas (Middle of summer) in 1978, and my 2nd Birthday (Christmas 1969) was snow in Daylesford in Victoria.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The snorkel is a cool touch. Dont see much of that here at all. How deep have you had that truck in water before?

Sadly it was a 3" deep 100 foot long puddle that made me fit the snorkel.

The air intake is in the inner well on the passenger side (where the snorkel passes through, and forward about 8"), and driving through the loong puddle, is sucked some water, enough to put the fire out, and the wind up me.

A number of Navaras had been wrecked in outback areas in standing water.

Fitting it was worth nearly half a gear.

Has an Adam West batmobile roar under acceleration.

(BTW, that bit of road was totally closed during the snow...13.3% grade).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back