snow tires for new subaru???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
You're welcome, DailyDriver. I think I figured that out less than 10 years ago. It came to me as a "Eureka!" moment.

I searched (Bing? Google?) for Hakka Rs and Discount Tire came up, so you might want to try them. They are usually very competitive on prices ... but Hakka Rs won't be cheap anywhere. You can always look into "Nordman" which is usually a Nokian tire from 1 or 2 generations ago. I'm not sure where they are made. I have fond memories of my old NR-10s from the 90s.

Thanks, but DTD was the first place I looked due to their free shipping, but alas, they REFUSE to carry the Rs in 225/55-16.
frown.gif

So I may be forced to pay ~$160.00/ea, from Greer in the upper midwest if I decide on the Nokians.
Some have actually told me that due to the weight, power, RWD, and 3.73 axle ratio, I may actually be better off even in the deep snow, and NOT just in the cold dry, with an H rated Alpin Primacy over one of the 'spongy' Q, R, or T rated winters??!
confused2.gif

(Due to those soft, squirmy compounded tread blocks "rolling over" too much and not gripping in the cold/snow?)

Now I am REALLY confused!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
...............do you have any suggestions as to WHO has the LOWEST prices and/or free shipping on Hakka Rs............

Have you checked TiresByWeb or TireSavings?

"Some have actually told me that due to the weight, power, RWD, and 3.73 axle ratio, I may actually be better off even in the deep snow, and NOT just in the cold dry, with an H rated Alpin Primacy over one of the 'spongy' Q, R, or T rated winters ... due to those soft, squirmy compounded tread blocks 'rolling over' too much and not gripping in the cold/snow."

dailydriver, I am not buying that. Unless insanity suddenly seizes the Nokian factory, they are going to continue to be one of the best ... if not THE best ... winter tires you can buy.

Softer compounds have been the order of the day in colder temps since they have been available. I can't see how a harder tire bites better ... it's not like a harder rubber compound is going to 'cut into' the ice or something. Nokian even puts edges on the sides of the tread blocks assuming you will get some deflection on hard cornering, braking and acceleration.

Other brands may have (finally) caught up to the Nokians ... but passed them? I'm gonna need to see some proof ... at least a good, 3rd party test before I can buy into that.

I see 3 options here. 1- Drive careful and use the all seasons, 2-get some winters on a separate set of steel rims for easy changeovers, or 3-get some all weather tires
If you choose option 2 or 3 I would recommend Nokian Hakka's for dedicated winter tires, or the Nokian WRG2's for all weather. Either way expensive tires but good ones. Dont get cheap winter tires, i picked up some hankook rc01's last year.. they were worse than pirelli winters that I had on with no tread left on them..this year i got some studded cooper tires.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
"Some have actually told me that due to the weight, power, RWD, and 3.73 axle ratio, I may actually be better off even in the deep snow, and NOT just in the cold dry, with an H rated Alpin Primacy over one of the 'spongy' Q, R, or T rated winters ... due to those soft, squirmy compounded tread blocks 'rolling over' too much and not gripping in the cold/snow."

dailydriver, I am not buying that. Unless insanity suddenly seizes the Nokian factory, they are going to continue to be one of the best ... if not THE best ... winter tires you can buy.

Softer compounds have been the order of the day in colder temps since they have been available. I can't see how a harder tire bites better ... it's not like a harder rubber compound is going to 'cut into' the ice or something. Nokian even puts edges on the sides of the tread blocks assuming you will get some deflection on hard cornering, braking and acceleration.

Other brands may have (finally) caught up to the Nokians ... but passed them? I'm gonna need to see some proof ... at least a good, 3rd party test before I can buy into that.

+1
michellins tend to wear faster in my experience as well

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
...............do you have any suggestions as to WHO has the LOWEST prices and/or free shipping on Hakka Rs............

Have you checked TiresByWeb or TireSavings?

Yes, and here I was thinking that Greer was too high priced!!

So far, they (Greer Enterprises) beat EVERYONE else by at least $25.00-$35.00/tire!
Nokians ARE COSTLY!!!!
crazy2.gif

If I decide on Hakkas, I guess I will go with them (IF they still have the 4 they had in stock 2 days ago left
frown.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back