snow tires for new subaru???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put general altimax arctics on my BMW 530 and it made a world of difference. They weren't that expensive either. Great tire. I try not to drive this car when it's snowing but I had to a few times. Being rwd, this car would get the rear end squirrely in a hurry with All-Season tires, but not with the arctics. But more importantly, it would stop when I had to stop. Now granted, it's not AWD like the Subie is, but if your son is going to be heading to the Mountains, I would do it.

I've wished for snow tires on the Jeep a few times, and definitely plan to get a set for it at some point. Yeah, it's 4wd and will still go just fine, but when it starts getting icy/slick, crawling along to retain stopping/turning ability sucks.

I've seen the Subie on all seasons dumped in the ditch thing too. Last winter, I had one riding my tail so close I couldn't see his headlights in the middle of a midnight blizzard, 3" or so of fresh snow on the roads. I decided to get away from him, and for good reason. I bailed down a side street, looped around and continued. Found him in the ditch a 1/2 mile later... This was a case of over-confident driving, however, as it wasn't all that bad out (I was still in 2wd and doing fine on A/Ts).

thanks everybody!!

esp. edvanp.!!

snow tires it is. we had a real winter last year in massachusetts.

best

bob

He might find some take-off wheels that fit; check eBay or local used wheel shops. I think the minimum size is 16x6.5 wheels that take 215/70R16 tires. As always, the skinniest tire of original O.D. that can safely carry the weight is the best tire for snow.

Since this is a new car on fresh tires, still at full tread depth, and since you and your son have driven in real winter and understand it, I'd say that the car probably doesn'y need snows.
Will winter tires help?
Of course.
Really needed?
Probably not.
Our two Subies are just fine on AS tires.
There is nothing more planted than an AWD Subaru in winter driving.
My wife, who uses the Forester as her daily driver, agrees.

I bought a set of cheap-ish Dunlop Graspic DS-1s mounted on 15" steel wheels from Tire Rack over ten years ago when my Subaru was new. They were all of $400 shipped and was the best money I ever spent on my car. As good as the car is on some good all-seasons, it's pretty much unstoppable with dedicated snows. Instead of being a bit apprehensive about driving when the weather was bad, I almost looked forward to it because it was fun! The only downside was that they were as soft as marshmallows when the roads were dry, so it took all the sportiness out of the car on the nice days. But as soft as they were, they wore like iron. The only thing I would have done differently now would be to get them in 16" to improve the dry handling a bit.

Snows are cheap insurance and they greatly reduce the anxiety level during a commute or road trip. That alone made them totally worth it for me.

You seem like a very generous guy buying cars and tires for everyone...I need a set for my SOnata wanna donate? LOL winter tires will be good if you want to spend the coin otherwise drive smart and you will be allright.

4X4 chevy: Ha!!

how do you like your sonata? i was intrigued by Hyundai, always afraid to try!! has it been dependable?

I love that car, its been great to me so far with 53k on it. Gets great MPG and feels like a luxury car when I drive it. lots of room in back and trunk lets hope it keeps running good for me. I would highly reccomend the Hyundais I have heard great things about them.

I see a few people already gave their vote for the General Altimate Arctic tire. Last year I got 4 of these for my wife's Subaru Forester (215-65-16), holy [censored] what a difference!!!! It was like driving a totally different car on snowy roads. The guys that installed the tires asked me why I was putting winter tires on a AWD subie. I did it cuz my wife has alot of backroads to drive on early in the morning to get to work, about 28 miles worth. These Generals stick to the road like they're are glued down, WAY better than the all season tires I run in the summer(Yoko's). Without a doubt the best tire investment I've made. I actually bought two more for my minivan as well. AWESOME traction, you wont regret them.

Snow tires are awesome- they help in cornering and most importantly braking, i have a set of blizzaks and i went down a steep hill that was a sheet of ice- the awd suv in front of me literally bounced off the curb and other cars going down the hill and slid into the intersection. I came to a dead stop when i realized it was ice and was able to inch down the hill just in time to get out of the way of the next guy who almost slid into me.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
Snow tires are awesome- they help in cornering and most importantly braking, i have a set of blizzaks and i went down a steep hill that was a sheet of ice- the awd suv in front of me literally bounced off the curb and other cars going down the hill and slid into the intersection. I came to a dead stop when i realized it was ice and was able to inch down the hill just in time to get out of the way of the next guy who almost slid into me.
Very important point.

There is no comparison between All Season to a winter tire even for AWD or 4X4 vehicles.

http://www.autos.ca/auto-product-reviews/feature-winter-tires-%e2%80%93-trucks-need-them-too

http://www.autos.ca/auto-product-reviews/feature-winter-tires-%e2%80%93-trucks-need-them-too

Last edited:
It's funny reading through this thread ... the people who regularly use snow tires know there is no substitute. Others say it doesn't really matter.

I would rather have 2WD and snows than AWD and all-seasons for the reasons already stated above ... snow tires will help you turn and stop better. When things get scary, those two items are much more important than the better acceleration afforded by two more wheels turning.

In upstate NY, the 4WD SUVs on their roofs are a common sight very early in the morning after a snowfall. They were probably very confident heading out into slick conditions ... I'd say overconfident.

I have been using Nokian snow tires for the past 15 years after using various domestic before that. There is no comparison and I will use nothing less. Four brand new Nokian Hakkapelita Rs for me this year:

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11949&group=1.01&name=Nokian+Hakkapeliitta+R

"The guys that installed the tires asked me why I was putting winter tires on a AWD Subie."

Sonic, you need to get better installers!

Snow tires don't cost you more money ... 'cept for the extra set of rims to buy (and steelies are cheap). Running snows in the winter makes your all-season or summer tires last longer.

The slightest contact your car makes with something will likely require painting a door or body panel ... which is about the price of the extra set of tires and rims.

Tip: Buy the snow tires and extra rims up front. They're cheap insurance.

Originally Posted By: Sonic
I see a few people already gave their vote for the General Altimate Arctic tire. Last year I got 4 of these for my wife's Subaru Forester (215-65-16), holy [censored] what a difference!!!! It was like driving a totally different car on snowy roads. The guys that installed the tires asked me why I was putting winter tires on a AWD subie. I did it cuz my wife has alot of backroads to drive on early in the morning to get to work, about 28 miles worth. These Generals stick to the road like they're are glued down, WAY better than the all season tires I run in the summer(Yoko's). Without a doubt the best tire investment I've made. I actually bought two more for my minivan as well. AWESOME traction, you wont regret them.

+1. I also bought the Altimax Arctics. Not only do they turn a Subaru into the ultimate snow machine, they actually ride better than the A/S tires - probably because they aren't H speed rated.

The only problem with Altimax Arctics: people won't get out of the way. BTW: if you feel the front end plow on turns, try giving it a little throttle. It will dig in and go. Lifting off the pedal lets it continue to plow.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
I would rather have 2WD and snows than AWD and all-seasons for the reasons already stated above ... snow tires will help you turn and stop better. When things get scary, those two items are much more important than the better acceleration afforded by two more wheels turning.

THANK YOU!

I have been saying the exact same thing for the last 35 years!!
thumbsup2.gif

BTW; do you have any suggestions as to WHO has the LOWEST prices and/or free shipping on Hakka Rs.
(Greer Enterprises in the midwest are VERY high, and overcharge on shipping & handling.
frown.gif
mad.gif
)

You're welcome, DailyDriver. I think I figured that out less than 10 years ago. It came to me as a "Eureka!" moment.

I searched (Bing? Google?) for Hakka Rs and Discount Tire came up, so you might want to try them. They are usually very competitive on prices ... but Hakka Rs won't be cheap anywhere. You can always look into "Nordman" which is usually a Nokian tire from 1 or 2 generations ago. I'm not sure where they are made. I have fond memories of my old NR-10s from the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back