Snow tires - fair selling price

(4) Toyo Observe Gsi-5 tires with Toyota 16x6.5 rims (no TMPS sensors). Came off a '13 or 14 Camry

Ran these this winter, 9/32" left.

What would be a fair selling price, as I will be taking them off in the next few weeks.

TY

Are the wheels damaged in any way? Curb rash, etc.?
I'd say 100$ for each tire at least.. $50 a wheel, so about $600 total. Probably won't be able to sell them at that price until next fall. I'd expect some low balling offers all summer.

I wouldn't pay more than $200.

Start high, take good pictures, include DOT date codes and a tread depth gauge, and work your way down.

I think some tend to overstate prices on here for others and in reality, we wouldn't pay that much for it off some random stranger.

I think some tend to overstate prices on here for others and in reality, we wouldn't pay that much for it off some random stranger.
I paid $300 for a set of amazing snow tires that had less than 3000 miles on them, considering that they were ~$185 new. If he had the correct wheels for my car included (regular steels) I would have easily given him 40-50 $'s for each one. People try and charge stupid amounts of money for snow sets with TPMS sensors up here. Average set would be asking 900$ on steel wheels with TPMS sensors. I think my quote to be very fair for the tires considering he states there is about 9/32" of tread left on a tire that was manufactured with a tread depth of 12.7/32" new.
I live in upstate NY, very far from anything like the city, but stuff does cost more here..
I would expect to #1 never find any snow tires being sold with as little wear as his in the midwest. And as long as his toyota wheels are free from curb or impact damage, then they are worth about $50 each as a set of OEM wheels for you winter tires. If he asked me for $600, I'd offer 500 and split the difference around $550, assuming the wheels are in good condition.

Asking $300 they should sell fast for around that, if they all have a minimum of 9/32 and worn evenly. Anywhere near $400 will probably have to wait until fall. I've paid $400 for a similar set of x-ice but they had only 2/32 of wear and it was November.

Asking $300 they should sell fast for around that, if they all have a minimum of 9/32 and worn evenly. Anywhere near $400 will probably have to wait until fall. I've paid $400 for a similar set of x-ice but they had only 2/32 of wear and it was November.
If he asks for $300, they'll sell right away, he'll probably even have re-sellers looking at them for that price. He's in Minnesota and I'm assuming they have heavy winters there. I'd be willing to be a lot of people use snows up there, more so than in the area I'm located in upstate NY.. I'd guess that if he waits until next fall, he might be able to at least sell the tires at the $500-$600 range.

OP: How bad are the winters in your area, how long is there snow on the ground there. I'm curious now...

If he asks for $300, they'll sell right away, he'll probably even have re-sellers looking at them for that price. He's in Minnesota and I'm assuming they have heavy winters there. I'd be willing to be a lot of people use snows up there, more so than in the area I'm located in upstate NY.. I'd guess that if he waits until next fall, he might be able to at least sell the tires at the $500-$600 range.

OP: How bad are the winters in your area, how long is there snow on the ground there. I'm curious now...
I think your right, I was thinking pre-covid pricing but those tires are probably now $160+ each....

All depends on the date codes. If over 5 years old and look dried out then I would pass on the tires and would only pay for the rims.

Rims are in decent shape cosmetically. Any rim that age in MN is going to have some wear. Functionally, they roll without any hicups at 80 mph.

I was going to throw out the package for 300..00. Sounds like that should be ok. Probably have 600.00 into them. Tires were within 3 months of MFG when I bought them early in the fall.

Back