Snoopy found...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shannow, Snoopy was the LM for Apollo 10, the dress rehearsal. Snoopy 'barnstormed' the moon at 50,000' in May 1969. Eagle, the Apollo 11 LM, was the first to land on the moon in July.

Shannow, thanks so much for posting! I found both films fascinating ... the lost cosmonaut stories have been circulating for decades. Who knows? The people close to the program in the early '60s are now elderly, and at some point will all be gone. "They" say that the only reason the Soviets were forthcoming about Vladimir Komarov's tangled chute (c. late '67) and the Soyuz tragedy (June '71) was that there had been lots of publicity about both missions while they were going well.

The SF short was fascinating ... I didn't begin to understand it, but enjoyed it as an alternative-history period piece. Visually stunning. It had, for me, a similar feel to "The Man In The High Castle" TV series. My inner space nerd thought that using a Saturn 5 booster was a bit of overkill for a Mercury or Gemini (it seemed to morph back and forth) capsule.
lol.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judica-Cordiglia_brothers

In the 1960s, the brothers claimed to have heard radio communications taken from secret Soviet Union space missions, including the dying sounds of a suffocating "lost cosmonaut". One of their most famous recordings was made on 28 November 1960. After about an hour of listening to static, the brothers recognised an SOS signal that seemed to be moving away from the Earth. The story was picked up by a Swiss-Italian radio station and the brothers became the station's space experts.

In November 1963, the brothers said they recorded the voice of a female cosmonaut re-entering the Earth's atmosphere in a malfunctioning spacecraft; in the recording she is heard to have cried out, "I am hot" as it burnt up.

In total the Judica-Cordiglia brothers released nine recordings over a period of four years.
The details were as follows:

May 1960, a manned spacecraft reports it is going off course.
November 28, 1960, a faint SOS Morse Code signal is sent from another troubled spacecraft leaving Earth's orbit.[3]
February 1961, a cosmonaut is audibly recorded suffocating to death.
April 1961, a capsule is recorded orbiting the Earth three times before re-entering the Earth's atmosphere just days before Yuri Gagarin made his historic flight.
May 1961, an orbiting spacecraft makes an appeal for help after going out of control.
October 1961, a cosmonaut loses control of his spacecraft which veers off into deep space.
November 1962, a space capsule misjudges re-entry bouncing off the Earth's atmosphere and out into space.
November 1963, a female cosmonaut dies during re-entry.
April 1964, another cosmonaut is killed when his capsule burns up in the Earth's atmosphere.

Since the 1960s critical analysis of the recordings has cast doubt on their provenance. For instance, audio transcripts reveal that none of the cosmonauts, who were supposed to be Soviet air force pilots, followed standard communication protocols, such as identifying themselves when speaking or using correct technical terminology.[4] Likewise all the recordings contain disjointed sentences and grammatical errors (e.g. the meaningless "..аша передача будет теперь", Nov 1963)â†(″аша передача будет теперь″ Translation: "...[o]ur transmission will now...") contradicting the known fact that the Soviet space program only used highly trained, well-educated Russian native speakers from aeronautical backgrounds.[5]

Though some of the transcripts record cosmonauts saying they are leaving Earth's orbit (i.e. heading into interplanetary or "deep" space), the manned Vostok 3KAs could not reach escape velocity because their designs never contained secondary-burn propulsion units. This was inherent to the Vostok programme, a project to put the first Soviet citizens into low Earth orbit and return them safely. OKB-1 only required spacecraft with velocities that could reach Earth orbit (28,160 kilometres per hour (17,500 mph)) far less than the speed needed to break orbit (40,320 kilometres per hour (25,050 mph)). Propulsion units powerful enough to leave Earth's orbit did not begin to appear until the test firing of the RD-270 engine in 1969; and it was not until the N1 moon rocket (with the NK-33 engines) in 1974 that the Soviets built a spacecraft able to reach open space.[6][7] It is impossible to "accidentally" veer off into deep space without firing a rocket engine powerful enough to accelerate to escape velocity.

Watched the Anomaly film last night.
Impressive visually, and incredible that it was made in 9 days.

But perhaps it is just me, perhaps I am getting old, but a better, clearer storyline would have made the film more worthwhile!

I used to love Scifi, read all the Golden age stuff, but at some point it just lost me. Very sad, I would love a good hard Scifi yarn.

Expat, I find myself going back and rereading Robert Heinlein's early stuff, but little else. His first acclaimed book I didn't like was Stranger In A Strange Land (c. '63), and his last book I did like was The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress (c. '66), so basically everything before '63 was really good, and everything post-'66 was a waste of time for me. In between there I really liked Farnham's Freehold.

For what it's worth, my oldest son, also a Heinlein fan, says that Interstellar is like a Heinlein juvenile in movie form (which is high praise).

I find it hard to reread Arthur C. Clarke, Isaak Asimov, and Ray Bradbury, which I gobbled up as a young teenager.

I too loved Anomaly visually but found the plot incomprehensible. (Shannow, can you explain it to us?)

Originally Posted by expat

But perhaps it is just me, perhaps I am getting old, but a better, clearer storyline would have made the film more worthwhile!

I used to love Scifi, read all the Golden age stuff, but at some point it just lost me. Very sad, I would love a good hard Scifi yarn.

Check out the "Dust" channel on Youtube...they are shorts, 8-20 minutes.

It's helping me get back into the genre...

Originally Posted by Number_35
Expat, I find myself going back and rereading Robert Heinlein's early stuff, but little else. His first acclaimed book I didn't like was Stranger In A Strange Land (c. '63), and his last book I did like was The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress (c. '66), so basically everything before '63 was really good, and everything post-'66 was a waste of time for me. In between there I really liked Farnham's Freehold.

For what it's worth, my oldest son, also a Heinlein fan, says that Interstellar is like a Heinlein juvenile in movie form (which is high praise).

I find it hard to reread Arthur C. Clarke, Isaak Asimov, and Ray Bradbury, which I gobbled up as a young teenager.

I too loved Anomaly visually but found the plot incomprehensible. (Shannow, can you explain it to us?)

thumbsup2.gif
Stranger in a strange land was the first Heinlein book I did not Finish.

Early Larry Niven I enjoyed, but later he went much the same way.

IMO :-(

Expat, I now speak SF heresy:

I read Larry Niven's Ringworld about two years ago and found it underwhelming. Likewise, I read Dune a few months ago and found it too weird. Frank Herbert's creation of this other world was interesting conceptually, but the book was a hard slog. Dune fans tell me that although Dune is a classic, the sequels were not nearly as good. I'll pass.

It's interesting as both books appear consistently in SF top-10 lists.

Originally Posted by Number_35

I'm pretty much a Heinlein junkie. I really enjoy his stories. Time enough for love is my absolute favorite.

The first Heinlein book I did not Finish was Stranger in a strange land, the second was The number of the beast :-(

I agree Dune dragged on a bit, I can't remember if I finished Children of Dune or if I fell asleep.

I enjoyed Liven and ? The mote in gods eye, but actually got more enjoyment from his short stories.

You were underwhelmed by Ringworld? Was it not big enough for you ?
grin2.gif

(By the way, I have a first addition, with the mistakes)

Read a whole bunch of anthologies, it still seems older is better.
Perhaps now we know too much, less to speculate without delving into fantasy.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by expat

Check out the "Dust" channel on Youtube...they are shorts, 8-20 minutes.

It's helping me get back into the genre...

That was SWEET!! I've been sitting here watching more Dust short films,they're really good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back