Sneak-peek @ Auto-RX PLUS cleaning after 1,400 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: Artem
Thoughts and or comments?

Areas that are splashed with oil occasionally don't get cleaned by chemicals in the oil. The fact that some of the products you've used are in fact effective (at times) doing things like cleaning piston rings, stopping seal leaks, generically improving engine smoothness, etc, suggests that pressure and friction are as important to the cleaning process as the chemicals themselves. That you're so easily able to remove the deposits with your screwdriver is further proof.

Exactly. The crud is in those locations specifically because oil doesn't get there much. So why would someone expect it to be cleaned with something in the oil?

The ARX site specifically says:

Quote:
Is a specially formulated, all-natural metal cleaner designed to thoroughly clean the internals of your engine.

Restores the vehicle to maximum efficiency.

Reduces oil consumption.

Reduces emissions because the piston ring is cleaned and the valves seal better.

Rejuvenates seals, resulting in reduced or eliminated oil leaks.

Eliminates the need for oil additives and solvent flushes.

Enables the motor oil to lubricate parts more effectively.

Saves turbo bearings by liquefying high-temperature carbon deposits.

Provides residual lubricity because the cleaned components
allow polar bonding of motor oil to components.

Uses oil as a carrier and liquefies all contaminants to prevent particulates from blocking the oil screen, oil pump, or piston port.

Is safe for turbo engines.

No where does it say it will make every spot in your engine like new clean. Valve cover pics (and there have been a lot on this site) are a false test.

What I've been saying for 12 years. I'm 3,500 kms into a 10,000 km Rx clean (2.75 bottles) and a big difference already. Dual VCT engine now revs easily past 5,000 rpm and noise has all gone. Fuel economy is up 4-5% and I'll be rechecking compression this weekend (plug change). No interest in the under the valve cover views so loved here.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I hate to keep asking Artem but how many miles do you have on the Pennzoil Ultra now?

As much as I know you guys want to see the 4k results but unfortunately, the oil only has 906 miles on it at the moment. (800 from the 12 hour highway trip and 100 miles of short trips around town this past week).

I have a trip coming up down to Miami and back, so there's gonna be like 500-600 miles added soon. I'm also waiting for the results in anticipation and will take off the valve cover @ 1,500 miles into the run to show the results (if any) before proceeding forward to 4k. Stay tuned...

Thanks Artem. Is the oil getting dark on the dipstick? If the oil gets very, very dark it might be a good idea to change the oil filter.

Thanks Artem. Is the oil getting dark on the dipstick? If the oil gets very, very dark it might be a good idea to change the oil filter.

I don't think I've seen anyone quite as obsessed with this as you, Mystic

How many miles on it.......
How dirty is it......

And posting every hour on it--maybe he'll let you be co-pilot on the rest of the journey, whay not ask him?

It's also been stated many times that the color doesn't mean much. I look at the stick before every change, and it's clear.

Given that, it won't hurt to change the filter. I plan to do it since I'm going to try a 10K OCI.

The oil is as clear as it usually is around 1,000 miles. Actually, the Camry's V6 has always produced very clean looking oil on the dip stick / white paper towel that I use compared to the tC's 2.4L or the Civic's 1.8L engine around the 5k mark (much darker).

I'd also imagine that the block is very clean in the areas where the oil flows, after all these cleaning attempts.

I hate to keep asking Artem but how many miles do you have on the Pennzoil Ultra now?

2,200 miles as of today (another 650 mile trip and the rest are short sprints around town). I might have a 1,700 mile + trip coming up this weekend, so I'll hopefully post the results of Pennzoil Ultra's cleaning (or lack of) soon.

Can't wait till I create a new thread about my future cleaning experiments so we can stop bumping this thread and let it go down in history as yet another epic fail for Auto-RX Minus!
unamusedpopcorn.gif

Is the car running any better Artem? And did the oil stay clear or turn very dark? You said in this car the oil tended to stay clear.

Right now @ 2,200 miles it's looking a bit darker then usual. It will usually look this dark @4k+ so perhaps something is going on inside the block...

That makes me feel a little better because I was hoping that PU would be able to do some cleaning. Of course the color of the oil does not necessarily mean that it is cleaning but you said that various motor oils you have had in this engine have tended to stay fairly clear in color with this much mileage on the oil change. So if this oil is turning darker faster than those motor oils maybe it has done some cleaning. We can only hope. Soon enough we will be able to find out.

Even if there has been some cleaning I don't think we should expect too much. The engine is too dirty. I would expect that there would still be a lot of varnish especially on parts that get just oil splash. Still, some cleaning would be encouraging.

It's a sensitive subject though with a very difficult analysis.

PU went in right after ARX- so this is technically the "flush cycle". If some cleaning is discovered, its hard to determine what actually did it... PU or ARX- before it that is now washing off.
21.gif

Great for Frank at ARX, as he can claim credit if the results are good or blame PU for ruining his product's amazing cleaning.

Either way he has the ball!

Originally Posted By: steve20

I don't think I've seen anyone quite as obsessed with this as you, Mystic

How many miles on it.......
How dirty is it......

And posting every hour on it--maybe he'll let you be co-pilot on the rest of the journey, whay not ask him?

Lol.

He's been this way ever since skyship left.

Well, if this PU really does clean the engine somewhat of course it could be claimed that this was the rinse for Auto-RX Plus. But I don't really care if they do that or not. A lot of different motor oils and engine cleaners have been tried in this engine and if after Artem uses PU and the PU seems to have an effect I would be interested in the PU myself. The only problem is in my local area there does not seem to be any PU, only Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1.

I am somewhat optimistic that this Pennzoil Ultra may really have done some cleaning because Artem said that it got dark sooner than other motor oils he has used in this engine. Just because an oil turns dark fairly quickly does not necessarily mean anything but the other oils did not darken in this engine as soon. In the engines in his other cars the oil turns dark quickly and from what he can see into those engines they are very clean.

Originally Posted By: FoxS
Artem, have you always used the same filter?

I use M1 oil filters for 2x intervals (about 10,000 miles +/- )

Well, if this PU really does clean the engine somewhat of course it could be claimed that this was the rinse for Auto-RX Plus.

We all know that, but keep in mind how many times A-Rx has been in that engine, and everything else that was tossed at it.
smile.gif

Nothing really seemed to clean this engine very well. There was Auto-RX and Auto-RX Plus in the engine, Kreen, Amsoil engine flush I think, Mobil 1 oil and PYB. Because the oil has gotten somewhat dark and Artem says that motor oil usually stays clear in this engine a long time I am a little optimistic that the Pennzoil Ultra will clean.

Bottom line is this is a problem engine and it would probably have to be physically cleaned.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Well, if this PU really does clean the engine somewhat of course it could be claimed that this was the rinse for Auto-RX Plus.

We all know that, but keep in mind how many times A-Rx has been in that engine, and everything else that was tossed at it.
smile.gif

Exactly. It will be difficult to attribute any potential cleaning to any single product for at least 1 more oil change interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back