sna - SNAKE!

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Copperheads on my property die. I let the Kings and black snakes live. A yellow striped king lives under my back deck and now I haven't seen a copperhead in two years.

We're very fortunate to live in the SE US where a non-poisonous snake will keep all the poisonous snakes away.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Sunday morning we went for a bike ride on a nice trail in the pines and came across the first snake, already dead, that happened to be an Arizona Black Rattlesnake. Somewhat rare apparently and a shame it was killed as it was way out away from any population. We came home and took the dogs for a walk on the outer edge of our development where we can let the dogs off leash and came across the Diamondback coiled up against the back property wall. This was a block from our house and lucky the dogs walked by it. My older dog has had snake avoidance training but the young one hasn't. These walls have drainage blocks that a snake can go through so I stopped by the house and let the owner know about it, they have small kids. I mentioned to him lots of people put screens over the drainage block. I hate to kill snakes but because of where it was I looked around but there wasn't a stick or decent rock anywhere.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Any news on rattlesnakes w/out their rattles? Years ago I read an evolutionary study where the population of rattlesnakes w/out the rattle were increasing because the so many of the snakes with rattles were being killed off.

I could never live in the Desert SW simply because it seems that a house by its very existence invites scorpions, black widows and rattlesnakes.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Sunday morning we went for a bike ride on a nice trail in the pines and came across the first snake, already dead, that happened to be an Arizona Black Rattlesnake. Somewhat rare apparently and a shame it was killed as it was way out away from any population. We came home and took the dogs for a walk on the outer edge of our development where we can let the dogs off leash and came across the Diamondback coiled up against the back property wall. This was a block from our house and lucky the dogs walked by it. My older dog has had snake avoidance training but the young one hasn't. These walls have drainage blocks that a snake can go through so I stopped by the house and let the owner know about it, they have small kids. I mentioned to him lots of people put screens over the drainage block. I hate to kill snakes but because of where it was I looked around but there wasn't a stick or decent rock anywhere.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Any news on rattlesnakes w/out their rattles? Years ago I read an evolutionary study where the population of rattlesnakes w/out the rattle were increasing because the so many of the snakes with rattles were being killed off.

I could never live in the Desert SW simply because it seems that a house by its very existence invites scorpions, black widows and rattlesnakes.

I have read that many snakes have stopped rattling as a learned response and possible evolutionary step. I suppose maybe in 50,000 years the rattle may be gone......

Originally Posted by Kira
Poor snakes. They get a bad rap.

Yes, they sure do.
They serve a purpose and are quite interesting, last summer there was a Copperhead on my neighbors front lawn, could care less we were there, he was just slowly slithering away. Got quite a few photos too. Really cool looking snake.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I like snakes but at the same time I'm glad there are no venomous snakes in Wisconsin except in the far southwestern corner. For the rest of the state we don't have to worry about those we come across in the wild.

We saw this hognose snake late last year near Eau Claire, it puts on quite a show as if it is going to strike but rarely does. Generally it just bumps you with its nose.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Funny that you should mention this. I ran into (and dispatched) a Rattlesnake without a rattle just this past Sunday. This one was about 2' long. Before this one, all of the Rattlesnakes I have seen that were this long had rattles (really small ones don't have rattles).
I have never personally seen a Rattlesnake inside a house, and I don't personally know anyone who has. Scorpions are another matter.
Also, I have never seen a Black Widow spider inside a house. Brown Recluse spiders are another matter.
All of the above, along with ALL other poisonous snakes, are unwelcome visitors in my yard and/or house and are immediately dispatched.

Back